Audiolab M-DAC vs M-DAC+

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I just had a look over the What Hi-Fi review fof Audiolab's M-DAC+. I was hoping that for £300 price hike over the M-DAC, that What Hi-Fi would make comparative comments about sound quality. However they didn't.

What Hi-Fi seem to be saying that the upgrade in price for the M-DAC+, pays for higher sampling rate inputs. There are also more filters, for sound. I would prefer the sound flat myself. (I recall What Hi-Fi saying leave the M-DAC on one setting. They say choose one of two on the M-DAC+. Given there are many sound pre-sets, it's just a waste of money.

I am disappointed and I was hoping Audiolab would take the challenge to Chord. Instead they opted for fancy extras, and standard sampling frequency rates on a modern DAC.

Whereas when you read the What Hi-Fi review of the Marantz PM6006, they make direct comparative comments on sound. Saying the new amp is clearer and cleaner sounding overall, plus then more solid in the mids, over the PM6005.

I think What Hi-Fi have dropped the ball here. All they really said was that it's the same DAC chip. Then they extolled on its sound quality. I think they implied it sounds better than the old M-DAC. However "I think" is not sufficient to go laying an extra £300 out for it. The real information we want is its sound. Is it worth the extra cash just for a sound improvement if there is one. That's what we want to decide. OK, some folk will absolutely want the higher sampling rates.

Reactions: rocksteady

insider9

I'm also interested in M-DAC the extra outlay for plus doesn't appeal to me. Don't need the extra filters nor higher sampling rates.

I would disagree however that the added filters are a waste of money. Different systems/rooms as well as types of music can vastly benefit from them and it makes Audiolab an overall better product for many.

It would be great to hear from someone who heard both and could comment.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Different companies can sometimes use similar chips etc and get different results, a good example is Nikon who seem to have managed better results from camera sensors than Sony, even though they used sony chips.

I think you read the review correct. The mdac plus seems from the review at least to be more complete, there isn't a lot to be said for sound, probably because there's little difference.

I would be sceptical of statements of better sound with every generation of model also though. I'd personally very much doubt any perceptible difference in sound between those 2 marantz amps. The improvement in these sound electronic stuff is very baby steps at a given budget.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Green Bow said:
I just had a look over the What Hi-Fi review fof Audiolab's M-DAC+. I was hoping that for £300 price hike over the M-DAC, that What Hi-Fi would make comparative comments about sound quality. However they didn't.

What Hi-Fi seem to be saying that the upgrade in price for the M-DAC+, pays for higher sampling rate inputs. There are also more filters, for sound. I would prefer the sound flat myself. (I recall What Hi-Fi saying leave the M-DAC on one setting. They say choose one of two on the M-DAC+. Given there are many sound pre-sets, it's just a waste of money.

I am disappointed and I was hoping Audiolab would take the challenge to Chord. Instead they opted for fancy extras, and standard sampling frequency rates an a modern DAC.

Whereas when you read the What Hi-Fi review of the Marantz PM6006, they make direct comparative comments on sound. Saying the new amp is clearer and cleaner, and then more solid in the mids, over the PM6005.

I think What Hi-Fi have dropped the ball here. All they really said was that it's the same DAC chip. Then they extolled on its sound quality. I think they implied it sounds better than the old M-DAC. However "I think" is not sufficient to go laying an extra £300 out for it. The real information we want is its sound. Is it worth the extra cash just for a sound improvement if there is one. That's what we want to decide. OK, some folk will absolutely want the higher sampling rates.
I had an M-Dac + on demo

before I got the setup I have now I tried the M-DAC + I was disappointed with it to be honest

i even had it setup with XLRs and then using £100 set of atles phono's with XLRs it was slightly louder but would not say it was any better sound

build is good for the unit itself but the remote never worked out of the box I would say for £800 it's not worth it .

i brought the Yamaha CXC-50 which I think sounds fantastic for £299 and this has a very good DAC chip inside too

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
Green Bow said:

What Hi-Fi seem to be saying that the upgrade in price for the M-DAC+, pays for higher sampling rate inputs. There are also more filters, for sound. I would prefer the sound flat myself. (I recall What Hi-Fi saying leave the M-DAC on one setting. They say choose one of two on the M-DAC+.  Given there are many sound pre-sets, it's just a waste of money.

I am disappointed and I was hoping Audiolab would take the challenge to Chord. Instead they opted for fancy extras, and standard sampling frequency rates an a modern DAC.

Whereas when you read the What Hi-Fi review of the Marantz PM6006, they make direct comparative comments on sound. Saying the new amp is clearer and cleaner, and then more solid in the mids, over the PM6005.

I had an M-Dac + on demo 

before I got the setup I have now I tried the M-DAC + I was disappointed with it to be honest 

i even had it setup with  XLRs and then using £100 set of  atles phono's with XLRs it was slightly louder but would not say it was any better sound 

build is good for the unit itself but the remote never worked out of the box I would say for £800 it's not worth it .

i brought the Yamaha CXC-50 which I think sounds fantastic for £299 and this has a very good DAC chip inside too 
Were you disappointed just due to poor value for money or poor quality?

I'm considering a second hand M-DAC (circa £340) which is more than brand new Yamaha. I know it's streamer vs dac but is the M-DAC worth it in your opinion?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Afraid I haven't heard the M DAC, but I did recently buy the plus model and absolutely love it... It replaced a modded PS Audio DL3, RRP of £1500, which was a very good DAC itself, but the M DAC+ SQ alone is far superior, so at £800, I feel it's well worth the money.

The best thing to do is go and hear both models and make up your own mind if the extra £300 is worth it for the + model.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I was disappointed with the remote not working out of the box

the quality of the unit itself is good On the M-DAC plus but I owned an ir dac from Arcam which sound wise I thought it was better sounding and felt I could not justify the extra outlay on the M-DAC plus it just was not a night and day difference to me .

the plus points about the M-DAC plus for me were the XLR connections , the better power cord .

now maybe with a different setup the M-DAC plus might be different ?

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Green Bow said:

I had an M-Dac + on demo

i even had it setup with XLRs and then using £100 set of atles phono's with XLRs it was slightly louder but would not say it was any better sound

apologies to the op. Slightly off topic.

hi BS, just wanted to get a bit more info about the wxc-50. I assume i can use it as an external DAC. Is there a dedicated connection for ipod like the irdac has? And what is the SQ like when you connect devices thru bluetooth?

i am begining to feel the need to connect my phone/ipad via bluetooth which irdac doesn't have. I know i can buy a BT reciever and have it connected to the irdac but it will add more clutter.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I was disappointed with the remote not working out of the box

the quality of the unit itself is good On the M-DAC plus but I owned an ir dac from Arcam which sound wise I thought it was better sounding and felt I could not justify the extra outlay on the M-DAC plus it just was not a night and day difference to me .

the plus points about the M-DAC plus for me were the XLR connections , the better power cord .

now maybe with a different setup the M-DAC plus might be different ?

We can only speak as we find, but in my system the M DAC+ has taken Spotify via my Sonos to such a level, I've found myself listening to my EMC1UP CDP less and less, which is quite remarkable considering the comparative costs of both units.

Mac

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Green Bow said:

I had an M-Dac + on demo

hi BS, just wanted to get a bit more info about the wxc-50. I assume i can use it as an external DAC. Is there a dedicated connection for ipod like the irdac has? And what is the SQ like when you connect devices thru bluetooth?

i am begining to feel the need to connect my phone/ipad via bluetooth which irdac doesn't have. I know i can buy a BT reciever and have it connected to the irdac but it will add more clutter.
there 2 version of this unit 1. Pre £299 and the other is a amp at £399 but both look the same

in regards of Bluetooth I can not help you as I've not used Bluetooth yet as I use the apple airplay all of the time from my iPad or iMac .

the Yamaha can be wired or wireless by a switch on the back of the unit and also there is a MusicCast app that you have to download which sets up things

I liked the Arcam ir dac but I needed a streamer as well but I currently have the Yamaha streamer connected to my CD player using the cdplayer own dac which is meant to be a little better then the one in Yamaha Wcx50 so I kind of brought mine more for it's streaming capacity more then anything .

in regards of connection of devices again I am not near mine to have a look but the airplay is so good you would not need to use a hard connection unless for changing or when I had my marantz sa8005 I used the front USB to play stuff of my phone .

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Green Bow said:

I had an M-Dac + on demo

there 2 version of this unit 1. Pre £299 and the other is a amp at £399 but both look the same

in regards of Bluetooth I can not help you as I've not used Bluetooth yet as I use the apple airplay all of the time from my iPad or iMac .

the Yamaha can be wired or wireless by a switch on the back of the unit and also there is a MusicCast app that you have to download which sets up things

I liked the Arcam ir dac but I needed a streamer as well but I currently have the Yamaha streamer connected to my CD player using the cdplayer own dac which is meant to be a little better then the one in Yamaha Wcx50 so I kind of brought mine more for it's streaming capacity more then anything .

in regards of connection of devices again I am not near mine to have a look but the airplay is so good you would not need to use a hard connection unless for changing or when I had my marantz sa8005 I used the front USB to play stuff of my phone .

ok thanks,

most of my music is on an iPod classic so it has to be a wired connection, which i am guessing can be connected thru the usb port on the wcx50,

i am thinking of replacing the irdac with wcx 50.

How would you compare the sq between irdac and wcx50?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
We can only speak as we find, but in my system the M DAC+ has taken Spotify via my Sonos to such a level, I've found myself listening to my EMC1UP CDP less and less, which is quite remarkable considering the comparative costs of both units.

as a ex electrocompaniet user I must say that their black/ golden boxes are way overpriced..

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
Macspur said:

as a ex electrocompaniet user I must say that their black/ golden boxes are way overpriced..

Most high end gear is.

However, before buying the EMC1UP, I listened to CDP's way more expensive and for me it was the most organic analogue sounding player I've ever heard and have no regrets buying it.

Mac

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Green Bow said:

Then you obviously aren't familiar with how What HiFi review, which is by price classes. The reason for a lack of comparison is that the extra money probably puts it in another price class, making it "unfair" to compare in absolute sound terms. The PM6006 and 6005 got compared because they were priced similarly.

While I personally think there are issues with the What HiFi rating system, especially when trying to work out whether it is worthwhile upgrading, it is what it is, and they stick to it religiously.

I think you also misunderstand what the filters used on DACs are. They are not sound presets. Every CD player and DAC would have filters implemented. Sometimes the maker will decide which one is best and not give the option to choose, sometimes you get to choose. They don't make a major difference, but it's no reason to write off a product because you like a "flat" sound. They don't really play with the frequencies.

There's no substitute for listening for yourself, and What HiFi always recommends that you use their reviews as a guide to make a short list for your own auditioning.

Brokenflame

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
The MDAC+ is a pricy wired DAC, which I've owned for a while now. It gets used most days, either to play music or to make my TV sound like a TV and not what Harman Kardon are calling speakers these day (ref the Harman Kardon badges on my LG TV)

The quality is better than your average DAC and possibly better than the MDAC. There is simply not much in it, until you get into hard hit sound though a good set of speakers.

I enjoy the MDAC+ over most other DACs, although there isn't a noticeable difference most of the time. It took me three attempts to workout what was missing in one particular track.

The MDAC and MDAC+ are pretty accurate DACs so don't expect to be paying for a distinguished upgrade in sound quality. What you are paying for with the MDAC+ is the power supply which cannot be swapped out for one of a different voltage. Trust me I tried, Audiolabs don't even have a US power supply in the U.K. There is also the iPhone play back on the plus model (via USB), as well as the additional filters and improved build quality, and higher sample rates.

Now this might not sound like £300 worth of upgrades, especially as you will struggle to find content for the higher sample rates, and the only use one or two filters anyway. However, it does bring flexibility. The MDAC+ should still be a valid proposition in years to come due to the increased sample rate support. Also the internal power supply means standard power leads and power conditions can be used, if you have an electrical issue causing the DAC to misbehave.

I myself had such an issue, and this was rectified with a wireworld stratus mains cable (I bought it for a laugh to see if mains cables actually can make a difference or not, it ironically it fixed a different issue. But I still think the sound is a little off than with the regular cable. I might upgrade to the Aurora to see if that restores the sound while fixing the power issue.)

As for the remote, it's a cheap remote that must be pointed directly at the MDAC plus to work. But it works. Besides that point most remotes feel cheap these days, I think B&o and Apple are the only people that make nice OE remotes still.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
It just makes it hard for us to decide when What Hi-Fi don't give us the info on sound comparison. That's what we read WHF for. I mean they don't do it all the time but it helps lots when they do.

Like the Chord Mojo took the crown from the M-DAC, in WHF's view. WHF say the M-DAC is a good desktop alternative to the Mojo. Though they say the Mojo is still more musical, and better. We could really do with a placement in the line up of where they think the M-DAC+ sits. I guess the Chord 2Qute still beats the M-DAC+ but I don't know. Maybe the Mojo beats the M-DAC+.

Another startling aspect is that the M-DAC new prices are still holding at around £600. If they dropped to about £400, it would be a good buy.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Green Bow said:
It just makes it hard for us to decide when What Hi-Fi don't give us the info on sound comparison. That's what we read WHF for. I mean they don't do it all the time but it helps lots when they do.

Like the Chord Mojo took the crown from the M-DAC, in WHF's view. WHF say the M-DAC is a good desktop alternative to the Mojo. Though they say the Mojo is still more musical, and better. We could really do with a placement in the line up of where they think the M-DAC+ sits. I guess the Chord 2Qute still beats the M-DAC+ but I don't know. Maybe the Mojo beats the M-DAC+.

Another startling aspect is that the M-DAC new prices are still holding at around £600. If they dropped to about £400, it would be a good buy.

But why dont you free yourself of what whathifi think as their job is to generate interest in products to sell magazines. If they put all the dacs together and said they is hardly any difference then no one would buy the magazine.

What im trying to say is go and listen and see for yourself. How do you know that your musical taste is the same as the one that tested the mdac plus.

Id even go as far as saying i bet you cant even tell the differences between the dacs anyway.

Another point to remember that this is the same magazine tells you how an av rack makes the hifi sound.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Green Bow said:

I had the M-dac with a linear power supply upgrade & compared it to the new M-dac+, not much difference between them. I decided to keep my M-dac, untill I demo'd the Chord 2Qute. The 2Qute is just a much better dac, especially with a linear power supply upgrade. Its the most analogue source I have heard till date. Very weighty musical sound, yet it does detail far better than the M-dac+. In my opinion I don't think its worth upgrading from the M-dac to M_dac+. Having said that, the M-dac is still a very good dac & enjoyed it untill upgrading to the 2Qute. Music presentation is very personal, & which dac used will be system dependent.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Green Bow said:

I had the M-dac with a linear power supply upgrade & compared it to the new M-dac+, not much difference between them. I decided to keep my M-dac, untill I demo'd the Chord 2Qute. The 2Qute is just a much better dac, especially with a linear power supply upgrade. Its the most analogue source I have heard till date. Very weighty musical sound, yet it does detail far better than the M-dac+. In my opinion I don't think its worth upgrading from the M-dac to M_dac+. Having said that, the M-dac is still a very good dac & enjoyed it untill upgrading to the 2Qute. Music presentation is very personal, & which dac used will be system dependent.

Yeah what you say makes sense. What Hi-Fi would have let us know straight out if the M-DAC+ was better than a 2Qute.

They did however shift their categories, meaning last year:

Chord Mojo was best DAC £400 - £800, 2Qute best DAC £800 - £1200.

This year:

Chord Mojo best DAC up to £500, 2Qute best DAC £500 - £1000

If the M-DAC+ were equal or better than the Mojo, then the Mojo might have been dethroned at £400 - £800. We just don't know where they place stuff. Auditioning would be the solution but it's hard work. I would have liked WHF to be clearer about the M-DAC+ in relation to other DACs.

I am with on Chord DACs. I was a Mojo owner until mine finally had too much wrong with it. (Long story.) It was an incredible DAC.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Green Bow said:

Yes as you say system dependent... your thoughts on the 2Qute mirrors mine on the Audiolab M DAC+ and considering I'm only listening to Spotify, impresses me even more.

Mac

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I suppose what I am wondering now, is which DAC is best between the Mojo and the M-DAC+.

I have been reading other reviews of the M-DAC+ rather than just the What Hi-Fi review. Other reviewers are saying that the M-DAC+ is better in audio quality than the M-DAC. (Whereas WHF are not being so specific, but reading between the lines they are agreeing the M-DAC is better sounding.)

I know WHF prefer the Mojo to the original M-DAC. I would be surprised if they did not prefer the Mojo to the M-DAC+. Basically because the Mojo is powerfully organised. However I might be wrong since WHF held the Mojo and M-DAC not too far apart I think.

Green Bow said:
I suppose what I am wondering now, is which DAC is best between the Mojo and the M-DAC+.

I have been reading other reviews of the M-DAC+ rather than just the What Hi-Fi review. Other reviewers are saying that the M-DAC+ is better in audio quality than the M-DAC. (Whereas WHF are not being so specific, but reading between the lines they are agreeing the M-DAC is better sounding.)

I know WHF prefer the Mojo to the original M-DAC. I would be surprised if they did not prefer the Mojo to the M-DAC+. Basically because the Mojo is powerfully organised. However I might be wrong since WHF held the Mojo and M-DAC not too far apart I think.

Sound quality, at this level is very subjective and you would need to audition yourself to determine which is best rather than listen to the opinions of others.

To be honest I would have thought it a simple choice. If you want a portable DAC buy the Mojo, if you are not worried about portability and intend using it only in a home hifi set-up then buy the M-DAC+ ;-)

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
That's not how I see it. If you have ever owned a Chord DAC you know they do things in a special way. Other DACs get close may in sound it's whether they close in organisation that sets the bar for me.

I would be prepared to compromise on not having Chord if a static DAC could do the same. However I don't think I can if not, and the Mojo could be used statically.

As said I think above. (I can't see previous posts as I am typing.) Other reviewers have put the M-DAC+ over the M-DAC in terms of sound.

I suppose I am deliberating whether to buy an M-DAC+ or another Mojo. I have a feeling I will buy a Mojo, as I know it. I was trying to close in on what the M-DAC+ is all about though. I suspect it will be solidly reliable, and a good choice. It may be the better choice for me.

insider9

Green Bow said:
That's not how I see it. If you have ever owned a Chord DAC you know they do things in a special way. Other DACs get close may in sound it's whether they close in organisation that sets the bar for me.

I would be prepared to compromise on not having Chord if a static DAC could do the same. However I don't think I can if not, and the Mojo could be used statically.

As said I think above. (I can't see previous posts as I am typing.) Other reviewers have put the M-DAC+ over the M-DAC in terms of sound. 

I suppose I am deliberating whether to buy an M-DAC+ or another Mojo. I have a feeling I will buy a Mojo, as I know it. I was trying to close in on what the M-DAC+ is all about though. I suspect it will be solidly reliable, and a good choice. It may be the better choice for me.
Surely for the comparisons to be fair it would be Mdac vs Mojo or Mdac+ vs 2qute.

I was considering Mdac myself but ended with Yamaha for now. Might stretch for dedicated dac after Christmas.

Very interesting thread, keep us in the loop if you decide to audition.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Surely for the comparisons to be fair it would be Mdac vs Mojo or Mdac+ vs 2qute.

I was considering Mdac myself but ended with Yamaha for now. Might stretch for dedicated dac after Christmas.

Very interesting thread, keep us in the loop if you decide to audition.

I bought a Chord Mojo in the end. I figured using portably and at my desktop was the way to go. There is with all possibility an SD-card module coming soon. (Or I could buy a cheapish DAP to pair with the Mojo.) That will make the Mojo a DAP too. I charge it at night and then use it during the day. If I were to need a little extra charge I can always charge and play for a while.

I did however notice lots of very high praise of the M-DAC+ on the back of hi-fi magazines. It seems all the pro-reviewers love it.

TRENDING THREADS