Choosing a used phono preamp on a budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
As the very satisfied used of a CA640P phono amp, I can recommend it, and they're often found below £100. The 551P succeeded it, improved by the addition of an on/off switch.
Then when you're ready to upgrade, a chap by the name of Jez Arkless will modify it, for a moderate fee, to rival amps up to £1000. This is what I now use.
Enjoy your music.

ThreeTuns

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
Finally won a Pro-Ject Phono Box MM on ebay, ironically from the same charity shop, so I suspect it may have been with the record deck in the first place and got separated. Much better fuller sound, but the stylus is a bit crackly. Could be because the deck was shipped without securing or protecting the stylus! Time to look for a replacement. It currently has an Ortofon OMB 5E. Hoping to stick with Ortofon to save too much faffing. Total spend so far around £150. I'm enjoying the challenge!

Reactions: Al ears

ThreeTuns

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
So I splashed out and went for an Ortofon OM10 cartridge as it wasn't much more than just a replacement stylus and a cheap KabelDirekt RCA Phono lead (well it had to be better than the non hifi moulded ones). It took a little longer than I thought to get the cartridge installed and aligned (protractor and weighing scale - more expense but useful in the future) but the end result is great. Lovely separation and good clear sound from the Wharfedale Diamonds which must be heading on for 30 years old and spent 15 years in the shed. First track was George Michael's Cowboys and Indians which sounded really good and clear. The old stylus was knackered with so much crackle. That upgrade was worth it!

Thanks to all for your help and advice!!

Rob

Reactions: jamesrfisher

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts