Phono stage on a modest budget

Hi folks I have a project debut carbon with the ortofon m2 red cartridge earthed to my NAD 236bee amp at the moment just using a maplin phono stage. Willing to go up to around £200 on the rega mm amp. But would that be overkill on my system have looked at some of the cheaper options at richer sounds which look ok but will I regret in the long term on not opting for Rega's award winner. Thanks in advance mark

Hi Mark.I've just noticed the other day (if you don't mind going second hand)2 project phono box se's starting on a well known auction site.you should manage to get one at a good price and I'm sure it will be of better quality than maplins one.I use one myself and it does a fine job.I reckon you'd need to go to a trichord dino or similar priced stage for a decent upgrade to it.Also the rega stage work well too,I suppose it depends on what your long term plan is? Do you plan on keeping the debut or do you see yourself upgrading the tt in the future.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a Project PhonoBox with my NAD D3020 and it is a fine unit with my Rega turntable. Built quality is very good. I'm completely satisfied with it.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You could go for a vintage pre-amp with a built in phono section, such as a Quad 33 or 44. Look out for classic Japanese pre-amps and integrateds too.

lindsayt said:
You could go for a vintage pre-amp with a built in phono section, such as a Quad 33 or 44. Look out for classic Japanese pre-amps and integrateds too.

That's an interesting route.

If reliability issues and the ability to use only one type of cartridge are ignored it may be one worth exploring.

Bradley747

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a modest system with an RP1 and 2m cart

I recently upgraded to a used V90 Phono amp from Music Fidelity- I really like its neutrality and claritiy

Probably much better out there but value for money vs performace is great with the MF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts