Pro-ject Debut MK1

micarlos2005

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Returning to the dark arts after quite some time.
First steps are Tannoy Revolution XT 8, Icon audio ST40MKIIIm(employing, for the moment EL34s)
an Onkyo C-N7050 CD Player/streamer(I have a vast collection of digital material(mostly FLAC) stored on a Snology DS214Play NAS device.
The remnants of a vinyl collection cut down in it's prime, but stuff I really like. So I'm thinking I'd better look for a turntable too and invested in a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Communicator phono amp then remembered I still had a Pro-ject Debut MK1 budget deck placed in storage many moons ago when the inquisitive fingers of tiny hands came along.
Suffice to say I thought I'd give it a whirl(it still has the original Ortofon OMB 5E-with a red dot on top, the significance of which escapes me now).
I'm thinking of doing a lot of tweaking and would be grateful for any and all comments, including the ones telling me to invest in something a bit more modern but I like tweaking.
So if anyone can direct me to any information regarding the Pro-ject table I'll have a look see if any effort spent upgrading through tweaking it is worth it.
Cheers

micarlos2005@yahoo.co.uk said:
Returning to the dark arts after quite some time.First steps are Tannoy Revolution XT 8, Icon audio ST40MKIIIm(employing, for the moment EL34s)an Onkyo C-N7050 CD Player/streamer(I have a vast collection of digital material(mostly FLAC) stored on a Snology DS214Play NAS device.The remnants of a vinyl collection cut down in it's prime, but stuff I really like. So I'm thinking I'd better look for a turntable too and invested in a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Communicator phono amp then remembered I still had a Pro-ject Debut MK1 budget deck placed in storage many moons ago when the inquisitive fingers of tiny hands came along.Suffice to say I thought I'd give it a whirl(it still has the original Ortofon OMB 5E-with a red dot on top, the significance of which escapes me now).I'm thinking of doing a lot of tweaking and would be grateful for any and all comments, including the ones telling me to invest in something a bit more modern but I like tweaking.So if anyone can direct me to any information regarding the Pro-ject table I'll have a look see if any effort spent upgrading through tweaking it is worth it.Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion the only tweak that's going to make any significant difference is buying a new cartridge.

(Apart from the fact you need to ensure it is set-up properly, levelled etc., on a suitable support)

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a similar TT, and in common with the post above, would thoroughly recommend a new cartridge. Mine is the 2M Red, and has been a very worthwhile change, the difference being enough to keep me amazed each time I play an LP that has been ignored for a while!

I ended up fitting it myself, and it was quite straightforward. Of course, it could be that had I had it done by someone more experienced it may sound even better!!!!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the original Debut have a fixed counterweight, in which case you can't fit a different cartridge because you'll never get it to balance unless it just happens to be exactly the same weight as the OM. You can upgrade the stylus though to an OM10. Not sure what improvements you'll hear because I haven't compared the two.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Not too sure about the OPs Debut, mine has a moveable counterweight, which is done by locating the small screw recessed into the body of the weight. Whether mine is the phono version of that particular TT, I do not know.... I got mine in around 2003 (I think) if that helps anyone....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts