Choosing a used phono preamp on a budget

ThreeTuns

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi I'm a newbie to the forum!

I'm building a basic turntable system for my daughter to replace her briefcase all in one player. Mostly shopping on ebay, gum tree etc and what I have stored in the shed!!

I have an elderly Pro-Ject Debut 3 with new power supply and mat, a Cambridge A5 and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond Pro's (first generation). On wiring it all up I was surprised to find that the A5 did not have phono sockets or a preamp (as mine does downstairs).

What should I look out for on the second hand market?

Should also perhaps consider a replacement stylus, currently an Ortofon OMB 5E.

Rob

Welcome to the forum.
If it's quite old I would replace the stylus at the very least, if not the cartridge itself.
Depends on your total budget really when it comes to phono preamp.
if you want it to match sort of you could look for a second-hand Cambridge 540P phono preamp on eBay or the like.

Reactions: ThreeTuns

ThreeTuns

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
I don't really want to replace the A5 having only just bought it! I'll keep an eye out on ebay for a preamp. Can get generic ones new on amazon for £25 but I'm not sure whether to go for one of those and spend the rest on a new stylus. I'm trying to assemble something as cheaply as possible - the Debut 3 was £80 from a charity shop on ebay and the A5 £40 and I already had the Wharfedales from 20 years ago.

New cartridge vs stylus - OMB 5E - it's so confusing!! (My RP3 still has original stylus from 17 years ago!). For around £50 I could either get a new 10E stylus or 5E cartridge or going up reluctantly to £75 could get a super 5E cartridge.

I don't really want to replace the A5 having only just bought it! I'll keep an eye out on ebay for a preamp. Can get generic ones new on amazon for £25 but I'm not sure whether to go for one of those and spend the rest on a new stylus. I'm trying to assemble something as cheaply as possible - the Debut 3 was £80 from a charity shop on ebay and the A5 £40 and I already had the Wharfedales from 20 years ago.

New cartridge vs stylus - OMB 5E - it's so confusing!! (My RP3 still has original stylus from 17 years ago!). For around £50 I could either get a new 10E stylus or 5E cartridge or going up reluctantly to £75 could get a super 5E cartridge.
10e stylus....

Yes, any generic phono stage will suffice.

ThreeTuns

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
We don't actually know the ceiling do we??
There isn't a specific ceiling! I'm just trying to build a basic system that will sound a lot better than the suitcase for as little as possible with secondhand equipment. It won't compete with official starter setups, but will be an improvement on what she has and some parts might be upgradeable in the future eg the cartridge. My reasons for posting here are to see if there are any obvious weak points which are cheaply fixable. It's always interesting to see opinions on a forum!

My first mistake was not checking the amp as I assumed that all Cambrideg A5s would have a phono input as mine does! Especially as I missed out last week on a Debut 3 with Pro-Ject preamp, but at least the one I did get came from a charity shop so the charity will benefit!

Enjoying all of the suggestions and advice!

Thanks to all so far!

Rob

Reactions: Al ears
There isn't a specific ceiling! I'm just trying to build a basic system that will sound a lot better than the suitcase for as little as possible with secondhand equipment. It won't compete with official starter setups, but will be an improvement on what she has and some parts might be upgradeable in the future eg the cartridge. My reasons for posting here are to see if there are any obvious weak points which are cheaply fixable. It's always interesting to see opinions on a forum!

My first mistake was not checking the amp as I assumed that all Cambrideg A5s would have a phono input as mine does! Especially as I missed out last week on a Debut 3 with Pro-Ject preamp, but at least the one I did get came from a charity shop so the charity will benefit!

Enjoying all of the suggestions and advice!

Thanks to all so far!

Rob
Where do you live? I have a nice Arcam Alpha 7R you could have, but the box and remote no longer exists. It's just sitting in a box collecting dust. If you live close enough and prepared to pick it up, you can have it.

I'm located in Surrey.

ThreeTuns

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
Oh wow!! Thank you!! I'm in Suffolk near Ipswich but travel down to Sussex every month and could come along to collect in a fortnight's time if that would suit you!

Rob

Oh wow!! Thank you!! I'm in Suffolk near Ipswich but travel down to Sussex every month and could come along to collect in a fortnight's time if that would suit you!

Rob
No problem. Let me know what day and I'll make sure it's working okay. I've only used it about 2 or 3 times since buying the Leema in 2010.

But there's no remote, mains lead or box. You can use a generic kettle lead, as I currently use with the Leema.

Keep me informed.

Cheers

Rob
My non-hi-fi pride and joy. Can't paste on messages, so .....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220802-144222_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220802-144222_Gallery.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211014-183702.jpg
    20211014-183702.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 13

ThreeTuns

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
Back on the hunt for a phono preamp, for as little as possible, I figure that a used Cambridge Azur 551P would be better than a new generic (many names on similar boxes) one from amazon. Watching one one ebay.

Back up option is a Pro-Ject Phono E on Amazon for £55.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts