Choosing a sub

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been looking online without luck for a comparison between the KEF PSW 2500 and Wharfedale SW250 subwoofers, and was wondering if anyone can help? I am buying KEF 1Q5, iQ1 and iQ2C speakers and a Sony STR1200ES amp and am trying to decide which sub would be best for use with home cinema and music.

I would also appreciate any advice on cables. Someone has mentioned using different cables for the rear speakers to the cables for the floorstanders and centre.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
HI Graham,

You may be interested to know that KEF is about to launch a special edition (SE) of the IQ5 speakers - we've got an exclusive test of them in our next issue (September issue, on sale July 26th).

Sadly we haven't tested the KEF sub separately, but the Wharfedale is a five-star rated product. At this price point (around £300), we'd also strongly recommend the Velodyne CHT-8R (£300) and CHT-10R (£360), both of which we gave five stars to back in April. Subs are getting better all the time, and the Velodynes are (pardon the pun) bang up to date.

Re cabling. Ideally - so you keep the sonic signature the same all round - you should use the same cable for all your speakers. In your case, QED's Silver Anniversary (£5.50/m) would be spot on.

The only time we'd advocate using different speaker cable for the fronts would be if your budget is really, really tight - in which case we'd say prioritise the front and centre speakers (which convey the vast majority of a soundtrack) and use cheaper cable for the rears.

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much for all of the info, Clare. I have decided to go for the Wharfedale as it comes well recommended. I am putting the system together in Bangkok, so it's a bit hit and miss what is available locally: I haven't been able to track down either of the Velodynes and the KEF dealer isn't able to tell me when the new SE IQ5's will be available in Thailand.
The local KEF dealer is also the QED dealer and he is recommending QED Qontour Ultra Flat, which retails here at over 11 pounds a metre compared to about 1.80 a metre quoted on the Internet in the UK. I could afford the inflated price if I was confident it is the best choice, but am getting more and more confused and feel there must be something better available at a comparable price. The Wharfedale dealer has recommended Roksan HDC-02S for the fronts and centre, Monster M16 for the rears and Monster M550 for the sub. I have also checked and found that I can buy Supra Rondo 4x2.5 locally at about 11 pounds a metre and see that this is a 5-star product in your buyer's guides. Any advice on any of this would sooth my aching head!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I have to say it sounds rather like your local dealers are just trying to sell you whatever spools of cable they have lying around in their shop! I'd go for the Supra, of those options. Or get anyone you know flying in from the UK to pick up some of the Supra (or QED SIlver Anniversary XT) for half the price over here and deliver it to you....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Let me guess: the Wharfedale dealer is also a Roksan and Monster dealer?

That price for Qontour does sound outrageous, but then even the Supra is twice the price it is here in the UK - clearly the exchange rate between the Swedish Krona and the Baht is almost as bad as that between GBP and Baht!!!

How about Wireworld Luna? That's another affordable biwire (£5/m here) with a full five-star rating, and it's distributed in Thailand by Laser Definition Co,.Ltd. Tel: 662-1294411-3, or email sale@lrsgb1988.com

A

Anonymous

I think you're right! I'll see if I can bargain them down on the Supra, otherwise I may have to wait until October for someone to bring the QED over. Thanks again for the advice.

A

Anonymous

. . . you must be psychic! Definitely Roksan, not so sure about Monster. Thanks a lot for the Wireworld Luna tip and the address. I'll get on to them in the morning and see what they have.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the Wireworld tip, Andrew. The dealer was quite helpful, but said it would take 2 - 3 weeks to get the Luna cable. In the end I went for the Supra 4x2.5, getting the price down to about 6 pounds a metre after some lengthy bargaining.

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Let me guess: the Wharfedale dealer is also a Roksan and Monster dealer?

That price for Qontour does sound outrageous, but then even the Supra is twice the price it is here in the UK - clearly the exchange rate between the Swedish Krona and the Baht is almost as bad as that between GBP and Baht!!!

How about Wireworld Luna? That's another affordable biwire (£5/m here) with a full five-star rating, and it's distributed in Thailand by Laser Definition Co,.Ltd. Tel: 662-1294411-3, or email sale@lrsgb1988.com

[/quote]

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Graham B"]
In the end I went for the Supra 4x2.5, getting the price down to about 6 pounds a metre after some lengthy bargaining.

[/quote]

Amazing, isn't it, how the prospect of a lost sale can focus the mind!

TRENDING THREADS