Choice of AV/Receiver

FROGIT

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi all, just an inquiry re :- AV/Receivers, at present I have the Sony STR-DA1200ES machine working my system, thinking of exchanging & upgrading to either the Sony STR-DA2400ESB or the
Sony STR-DG820 could anybody inform me which would be the preferred choice ?
Would be grateful for any replies or comments, Thankyou.

Regards:- FROGIT

A

Anonymous

Hi,

The 1200ES was (is) a very respectable receiver, great, full bodied sound though without many of the features expected of a receiver in this price range today. It was (is) nicely put together too, it had (has) a great feeling of quality. I think for these reasons alone you should be looking at the 2400, I feel the 820 might feel like a step down even with the obvious benefits. The 2400 also has pre-outs for connecting a stereo amp should you feel the need later on.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:
Hi,

The 1200ES was (is) a very respectable receiver, great, full bodied sound though without many of the features expected of a receiver in this price range today. It was (is) nicely put together too, it had (has) a great feeling of quality. I think for these reasons alone you should be looking at the 2400, I feel the 820 might feel like a step down even with the obvious benefits. The 2400 also has pre-outs for connecting a stereo amp should you feel the need later on.

Octopo is right. I had the 1200 and went up to the 3400es. The 820 won't be as good sounding.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

How do the 1200 and 3400 compare, sound wise?

ÿ

Gerrardasnails:Octopo:

Hi,

Octopo is right. I had the 1200 and went up to the 3400es. The 820 won't be as good sounding.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
Hi,

The 2400 also has pre-outs for connecting a stereo amp should you feel the need later on.

I've read a similar suggestion on another post - I assume it allows the front speakers to receive output from the stereo amp and so provide a better sound?

Could you explain how this is connected up?

5.1 (inc fronts) connected to the AV amp and fronts only connected to the stereo amp? That cant be right can it?

A

Anonymous

Some receivers have multichannel pre-outs allowing you to use the receiver as somewhat of a pre-amp for those channels. The most common use of this is to connect the front L+R channels to a dedicated stereo amp so you have the best of both worlds.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
heystak:Octopo:

Hi,

The 2400 also has pre-outs for connecting a stereo amp should you feel the need later on.

I've read a similar suggestion on another post - I assume it allows the front speakers to receive output from the stereo amp and so provide a better sound? Could you explain how this is connected up? 5.1 (inc fronts) connected to the AV amp and fronts only connected to the stereo amp? That cant be right can it?

This allows the use of stereo kit with the same front left and right speakers from the 5.1 set up, and is connected like this:

Front pre-out sockets are connected to a spare input, e.g aux, on a stereo amp. Front left and right speakers are only connected to the stereo amp. All other speakers connected to AV amp as normal. When listening to stereo music, say from a CD player connected to the stereo amp, the AV kit can be turned off and you get the best possible stereo sound from your hi-fi kit. For movies, you have the AV kit on as well as the stereo kit, as the AV kit processes the sound for the front left and right channels and outputs it to the speakers via the stereo amp.

The AV kit has to be re-calibrated once the stereo kit has been introduced to the 5.1 set-up, with the stereo amp volume set to a level easy to replicate, e.g 12 o' clock. For surround listening, always have stereo amp on, with correct input selected (e.g aux) and volume at the level chosen when calibration was done (e.g. 12 o' clock). The AV kit is then used as normal, all processing done via AV amp and volume controlled from AV amp.

TRENDING THREADS