AV receiver and Soundbar/Speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, wondering if you could all help me decide on a home cinema system...
My current setup consists of a Panasonic TH42PZ80B, Sky+ (via scart) and PS3 (via HDMI).
Now I'm looking buy a sound solution (and upgrade to Sky HD). Given the odd layout of the room, I don't have space for a 5.1 system.
My Budget is around £600.

Av receivers
SONY STR-DH800
ONKYO TX-SR607

Both seem to have good reviews with at least 4 HDMI ports and 1080p upscaling.
The Onkyo appears to be approximately £100 more, but does it offer any real benefits over the Sony?

Soundbar / Speakers
Yamaha YSP-600
2.1 Speakers?

The Yamaha soundbars appear to be a good option given my requirements.
I was just wondering if a speaker setup (2.1?) would be a better option.
Any recommendations?

Regards
G

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You don't need an amp if you buy a soundbar. The amplification is built in. On the other hand - if you can afford it - you would probably get a better result from a 2.1 system with amp and speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thank for your reply. So the Yamaha YSP-600 is a built in solution. Just got a couple of questions...

The Yahama YSP-600 soundbar has 2 HDMI ports in (sky, ps3) and 1 HDMI out (tv). Would this setup enable the soundbar to work with all devices? Would I be able to integrate a dedicated Blu-Ray player at a later date?

For the other option, a decent av receiver seems to cost around £300-400. Is £200-300 enough for a decent speaker setup or is it worth stretching the budget?

I have no idea which speakers to look for (floorstanding with subwoofer?). Any recomendations for this range?

A

Anonymous

Hi G

As i was in the same situation as you a year ago, i had a tough decision to make and moving away from 5.1 to 2.1 was a hard move as purists say that 5.1 is the way to go and 2.1 is not so perfect, so i ended having a look at some Yamaha soundbars and read up on some reviews from the guys at What Hi-Fi. Also i found out about a new product that was coming out from Onkyo which was a 2.1 speaker and subwoofer kit that also decoded HD audio, the model number was HTX-22HD, i gave this a go but to be honest i was not impressed at all with the sound, so i was in dismay about what to do. I gave Yamaha a go and went out and bought the YSP-1100 which was 5 star awarded by What Hi-Fi, i have to admit, i was blown away, this unit does not decode HD audio but to be fair, the sound was that good, it sold me! It was crisp, sharp, loud, good surround sound mode's and good bass but i did end up adding a external subwoofer by having the B&W ASW610 to give it a big thump.

So i would definately recommend a Yamaha soundbar, you will not be dissapointed but i would recommend added on a external subwoofer to give you that extra thump in the bass department.

Regards M

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
If you are going for a soundbar i would wait to check out the new Pioneer HTPSB300 3.1 soundbar due December time £449.95 ish with a wireless subwoofer and Dolby true HD in the spec. I always found it funny that Yamaha made the first soundbar when it was Pioneer who developed the technology remember saying it to a pioneer rep at bristol show a couple of years ago and he agreed it was silly that Yamaha stole the march. I would never really recommend a soundbar over an amp and speaker set up but they are a good alternate solution for some.

A

Anonymous

@v1c

Thanks for you reply. If you would recommend an amp and speaker setup, any suggestions for approximately £600?

A

Anonymous

Good Morning,

We can offer a passive Soundbar speaker system including rears and subwoofer called a KHT7005 package (see link). You will need to stretch your bugdet a little further but you will still be able to use your Onkyo reciever (with excellent results).

http://www.kef.com/GB/SurroundSound/KHT/7005

Worth a look and definately worth an audition.
emotion-1.gif

Best Regards

Ron

A

Anonymous

@ Ron Locke

Thanks for your reply. They look very nice, but are unfortunately they are out of budget as I need to purchase a av receiver and speakers within that budget.

G

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
trainofthought:
@v1c

Thanks for you reply. If you would recommend an amp and speaker setup, any suggestions for approximately £600?

I'd look at something like Yamaha RXV 465 receiver £239.00 Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom fronts £114.95 Tannoy Mercury FR Custom rears £114.95 Tannoy Mercury FC Custom centre £99.95 with chord silver screen cable £5.40 p/m. I would look to add a subwoofer later like a rel quake. If i can't wait and want to go for a package with a sub i would look at the Tannoy SFX 5.1 pack £299.95 sticking with the Yamaha amp.I think getting the sub later would be the way to go as you could get a better sub.

I believe this would be a good quality starter system.

Another choice for a speaker package with a sub would be Q Acoustics 1010i cinema pack £349.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts