Chicago Blu ray hideously grainy/ speckly

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Using my Panasonic LXd700, my PS3, a good quality IXOS HDMI cable, the picture quality on Chicago Blu Ray is, to me, terrible. The PS3 is set to output at 1080P/24, and the LXD700 was set up using a Digital Video Essentials Disk, so I can't understand why everything is so speckly. Other Blu Rays I've got are no problem whatsoever. I've used different cables/ HDMI ports, and put the PS3 on my Viewsonic 19" HD Ready and it shows the same problem. So its not the LCD either. On the another site, someone suggested its the way the producer intended, but the extra detail I can see on Blu Ray is practically hidden by this speckly mess.

Could the Blu Ray disk be faulty? I find this unlikely but I'm struggling to find am reason for it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I seem to remember that much of this film was actually shot in fairly low light, with the film-stock 'push-processed' to increase its sensitivity. And from my days on photographic magazines before the digital age, I know that has the effect of greatly increasing the appearence of grain.

I'm pretty sure it's not your kit or the disc - that's the way it's meant to look. Atmosphere, innit...?

A

Anonymous

Atmosphere? I think I prefer Russ Abbot's (and that's saying something!)

Its certainly is more pronounced on the darker scenes.

Cheers for the info, I think maybe I'm expecting too much from HD, maybe expecting it to be near perfect and noise-free.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="wazzerman"]Atmosphere? I think I prefer Russ Abbot's (and that's saying something!)[/quote]

emotion-18.gif

[quote user="wazzerman"]I think maybe I'm expecting too much from HD, maybe expecting it to be near perfect and noise-free[/quote]

No, you're just confusing video noise with film grain. If the original film was shot this way to look grainy, then the increased resolution and lower video noise on HD discs will make these effects more obvious.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts