Cheapest reliable freesat plus box?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

want to buy a relatively cheap freesat plus recorder. Dont want to invest big money in it. Whats the most reliable and good money?

I see the Humax boxes have had issues lately with the guide freezing up or something?

Cheers,
Michael

A

Anonymous

I bought a Technisat freesat hd for not much over £100. No HDD but supports external drive. I've had no problems so far (10/11 months).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Our latest issue has a review of the Samsung SMT-S7800 Freesat PVR - very, very impressive box. Offers some really smart features - including BBC iPlayer, basic network streaming etc - alongside great Freesat HD and SD performance.

We gave it five stars reviewed at £215, but there are Samsung cashback deals around at the moment - Richer Sounds has it for £179, for example.

A

Anonymous

I am using Coolstream Zee sat TV box, over £100. but the quality is great.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Our latest issue has a review of the Samsung SMT-S7800 Freesat PVR - very, very impressive box. Offers some really smart features - including BBC iPlayer, basic network streaming etc - alongside great Freesat HD and SD performance.

We gave it five stars reviewed at £215, but there are Samsung cashback deals around at the moment - Richer Sounds has it for £179, for example.

I looked at that option recently (I am trying to decide on a PVR too) but was put off by user feedback on Amazon UK. ('Mixed' to say the least.)

The Humax (Freesat) PVR feedback is lot more positive overall.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
Clare Newsome said:

I looked at that option recently (I am trying to decide on a PVR too) but was put off by user feedback on Amazon UK. ('Mixed' to say the least.)

The Humax (Freesat) PVR feedback is lot more positive overall.

Amazon feedback on the Samsung is vastly skewed to earlier version of the Samsung; firmware updates have sorted the reported problems, as we found in our testing of the product.

Such is my confidence in the Samsung that I recommended my Dad bought one, which he did (taking advantage of that Richer deal) on Monday :)

The Humax remains an excellent option, too, but again isn't cheap.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
tempted by the samsung.. but features like bbc player are of no use to us in dublin.. its a bit more than i was hoping to pay.. wish panasonic would release a barebones freesat HD recorder without an optical drive..

daveh75

The Samsung was severly bug ridden when first released! Don't know if that's still the case, so i'd suggest doing some research before buying.

Ooops just seen Clares comment above.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
just out of interest, do all of these machines use the same EPG or do they each have their own platform?

I've currently got a Humax Foxsat HD, but without the HDR function. Recently, I had my dish repositioned to avoid a tree, and I also had a second feed from the LNB added, so now could go for a HDR version....

daveh75

Big Aura said:
just out of interest, do all of these machines use the same EPG or do they each have their own platform?

Not sure what you mean by their own platform. But the EPG data comes from the same source, the boxes all have to conform to the same basic Freesat spec, but the UIs do differ from one manufacturer to another.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
sorry, perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology - essentially what I mean to ask is "when I press the "info" or "guide" button on the samsung, will the ODS look the same as the Humax one"?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura said:
sorry, perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology - essentially what I mean to ask is "when I press the "info" or "guide" button on the samsung, will the ODS look the same as the Humax one"?

It'll have same information naturally (in terms of the programmes which are on and the information about these programs), but no, it will look different as Samsung will have their own layout. Here's a pic of the EPG on the Samsung for comparison:

a935d__WST302.samsung.s7800grab1-420-90.jpg

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you do decide to, I'd make sure you can have a look at one before you buy. The way the menus work on these boxes is a very personal thing - some people like certain ways of working and others like another. The number of times I've seen people bitterly complaining about one box because it doesn't work quite like their old unit did is amazing! If they'd just tried it out beforehand, they could have made an informed decision!

Also, it gives you a chance to make sure the response times from pushing a button on the remote are up to scratch, as this can be very frustrating!

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

If you are interested in a Humax box, you could try try their own Humax Direct site, where they have 'A' grade manager specials for sale:

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat2.asp?cat=Factory&type=sat

The three freesat boxes I bought were all perfect, apart from the cardboard boxes being slightly tattered, and they are quite a bit cheaper.

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts