cheap optical digital lead

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
does it make a difference how much you pay for a digital audio lead?As i only paid £5 for mine. I have just got my new samsung tv, now i would like a blue ray player.my sony home 5 1 system is old so i dont think i have the right connections for one so how do i fix one? as i will need a hd cable wont i? I am a lady senior citizen so dont be to tec!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I'll be gentle...!

The Blu-Ray player has both High Definition Pictures, and Hi Definition Audio. Your TV (if it's a new one) will most likely display High Definition picture. You will need a HDMI lead to take the picture to the screen.

Your home theatre (assume it's an all-in-one DVD player/amplifier) should have (but check it first) either an optical (toslink) or digitial coaxial input. Using one or other of these inputs, you can take the dolby digital sound track (but not the newer, HD audio soundtrack - it can only travel over HDMI cables) to your amplifier.

When it comes to digitial cables, there is a lot of debate as to whether more expensive means much better - personally, unless you have a very expensive system or long cable-runs, it's probably best not to spend too much money on them. Get some from a reputable manufacturer (of cables, rather than of, say, televisions).

If I have over (or under) simplified, let me know.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tinytots:does it make a difference how much you pay for a digital audio lead?As i only paid £5 for mine. I have just got my new samsung tv, now i would like a blue ray player.my sony home 5 1 system is old so i dont think i have the right connections for one so how do i fix one? as i will need a hd cable wont i? I am a lady senior citizen so dont be to tec!

First of all, if your Sony 5.1 system is old, it's likely that it doesn't have a digital optical or coaxial input. This would mean that you would only be able to use analogue cables from the Sony box to your new Bluray player. If your 5.1 system does have an optical input, the price of it will not make a difference to your system as long as it works (a higher end system might show up a modest cable but I very much doubt yours will). So, in short, hdmi cable from screen to new bluray player and then optical cable from Sony box to bluray player. As has been mentioned, you will not get the HD audio from your new bluray discs but the picture will be fantastic and the audio will be at least as good as what you are used to. As for bluray player, look no further than the Sony BDPS350 for £150.

A

Anonymous

my theatre system is not as old as me by the way! thanks for your help . i have been looking at the sony blue ray. i will have to get my manuals out to see what connections i have got.

A

Anonymous

As a footnote, as optical (Toslink) works by pulsing light, there (theoretically) should be no difference between any of them.

I've always laughed at gold plated optical cables!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tinytots:my theatre system is not as old as me by the way! thanks for your help . i have been looking at the sony blue ray. i will have to get my manuals out to see what connections i have got.

What is the model number of your theatre system? I bought a cheap one about three years ago and it didn't have digital out on it.

A

Anonymous

Gold plated optical cable's ?!?!?!?!

That made my day, lolÿ

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:tinytots:my theatre system is not as old as me by the way! thanks for your help . i have been looking at the sony blue ray. i will have to get my manuals out to see what connections i have got.

What is the model number of your theatre system? I bought a cheap one about three years ago and it didn't have digital out on it.

Out or In?

My parents have got my old Sony DAV-S550 HCIAB (Home Cinema In A Box), and use it with their BDP-S350 Blu-Ray and Sony 40V4000 TV. The HCIAB has an optical input, so they bought a cheap optical cable to run from the Blu-Ray to the HCIAB, then just run the HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray to the TV.

They love it. OK, they're not getting HD sound, but it's far from ruining their enjoyment of movies whether on BD or DVD.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Gerrardasnails:tinytots:my theatre system is not as old as me by the way! thanks for your help . i have been looking at the sony blue ray. i will have to get my manuals out to see what connections i have got.

Out or In?

My parents have got my old Sony DAV-S550 HCIAB (Home Cinema In A Box), and use it with their BDP-S350 Blu-Ray and Sony 40V4000 TV. The HCIAB has an optical input, so they bought a cheap optical cable to run from the Blu-Ray to the HCIAB, then just run the HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray to the TV.

They love it. OK, they're not getting HD sound, but it's far from ruining their enjoyment of movies whether on BD or DVD.

Sorry Chris, you're right, I meant "in". The one I bought was about £250 two and a half years ago and when I realised that I couldn't get DD 5.1 from Sky HD, I sent it back and then the HiFi/AV addiction grew!

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
I have a Sony DAV-S500 HCIAB which is about 7 years old and that has an optical in. As a previous poster has said, on the bd player HDMI to TV and optical to the Sony which is how I run mine.

A

Anonymous

my compact av system is sony dav s800. if i could afford it i would like a system with blue ray included.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
tinytots:

my compact av system is sony dav s800. if i could afford it i would like a system with blue ray included.

Thats basically the same as a Sony dav s500 except for different speakers and uprated power output so an optical cable from a BD player to the Sony dav s800 would work and give you DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts