Cheap but good quality interconnects

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
If bloney did that and got an 80% success rate, somehow I'm absolutely certain you would come up with another explanation of how he managed to beat the odds.

A

Anonymous

cgrpr mate I've already recommended them, but here's another reminder to look at Mark Grant's offerings

EDITED TO REMOVE LINK

He is selling a bundle of 6 single phono cables, hand made for £65 including delivery. They're really good and I can't see why you wouldn't take a look at them. You'll save a bundle and the quality is truly fantastic.

cgrpr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Will Harris"]cgrpr mate I've already recommended them, but here's another reminder to look at Mark Grant's offering
[/quote]

Will, I did already reply and mentioned that I had looked them up, and I am considering them but like I said before, at £24 a shot they're a bit more than I was hoping to spend. I take it by single phono cables you mean with one plug at each end, so I need two to make the stereo connection.

I do already have a QED Qunex1 cable, supplied with my turntable, which I am perfectly happy with, and when I can get them for £15 online, I don't see the point in spending £10 more on a cable, no matter how good it might be. In fact, I actually have no objection to the sound I get from my OE cables, but I just want to replace them because they're poorly made from low quality materials and they won't last as long as a well made set. Can you understand why I don't want to spend vast amounts on cables now?

I also noticed that Mark Grant's website was closed, where did you find out about that deal?

A

Anonymous

Thought you didn't believe in all this stuff Oldphrt.

I must have misread your posts I thought you were after more than a stereo pair. If that's all you want, then yes they may be more than £10 for each line.

The £65 for 6 lines is a special offer Mark is doing over in AVForums. The thread address I posted is for that. Not his official website. Sounds like it's down for maintainance and as he's only human, it looks like he's off on holiday. This is allowed :)

I've suggested you read the thread for which I've posted a link as there are litterally hundreds of replies. It's actually an interesting read. You can gauge what people have thought of his products simply by reading the feedback they gave themselves. The response is hugely positive.

I have a set myself and if you'd seen the Chord Doctors suggestions to me on cables, I'd have spent over £200 on something that ended up costing me a fraction and for reputidly a better product. They really do allow the sound from my pre-amp to reach my power amp quite unfettered. I can't recommend them more highly.

But you'd have to log onto AVForums I suppose to be able to read about it. Let me know if you do.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="oldphrt"][quote user="bloney"]you say I could not have heard a difference and if I did I imagined it, or fooled myself into believing there's a difference[/quote] If there really was a difference wouldn't the only satisfactory way to tell which was best be to try them both at home on your own system? Given the variation in equipment the result on the dealer's system could be entirely different, even the opposite, to yours.

Taking the cables home would also eliminate any possibilty of dealer jiggerypokery.
Get someone to secretly swap or not swap them randomly and see how often you get it right. It should average out to about 50% of the time. :O)[/quote]

Sorry to hijack the thread like this, but this'll be my last ot response!

Oldphrt - the dealer offered without me asking for me to try any cables I wanted at home, so that wasn't a problem - but you're quite right to point out they should be tried at home.

The random change or not would certainly be interesting, but I've no doubt with these particular cables I wouldn't get it every time, it was that obvious. Unless there was jiggery pokery on the dealers part!

We should start another thread or shuddup if we carry on this discussion, so as not to hijack the thread anymore!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Oh....been away for few days and you boys are at it again!!!
Gotham still the answer to the original question if anyone still remember what the question was? £10 = bargain and more less the same technology of the cables that cost a lot more.

cgrpr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]Gotham still the answer to the original question if anyone still remember what the question was? £10 = bargain and more less the same technology of the cables that cost a lot more.[/quote]

Hi Thaiman, you obviously missed my original reply to the Gotham issue, so here it is again.

I tried searching for Gotham and I found a Swiss company (gotham.ch) making cables, so I assume that's who you were referring to, though I don't understand where you're getting the £10 price from? According to the website an 'unbalanced analogue audio (single ended)' cable of 1 metre would cost 39.55CHF (£16.70) by my reckoning. I e-mailed Gotham to ask for a quote and they have said 32CHF (£13.52) per cable. I need 5 stereo interconnects so that's 10 single cables at 320CHF (£135.29), plus shipping of 85CHF (£35.93!) and a 3% paypal fee and it all comes to 417.15CHF (£176.36!). That calculates out to around £35 per stereo pair, which is a lot more than a tenner, and about £20 above my budget! Now if you're referring to purchasing the cable and connectors separately and building them myself, then you might be somewhere closer to the mark I think, with connectors costing 4.6CHF (plus swiss VAT at 7.6%?) and their GAC-1 at 2CHF a metre.

Can you help me out on this one?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bloney"]
Ebay item number 220151454246 any use?
[/quote]

link is here

Neutrik plugs are very good (better than wbt imo), I have 2 pairs myself and in a blind test, 2 of my mates prefer the gotham to my Cardas so that might tell you something!
As for burning in, I still don't know what to believe! All I know is any cables seem to sound a lot better after 20ish hours used - it's may be because my ears are get use to the new sound!

cgrpr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
ah thanks for the Gotham link guys. Once I found the main Gotham website I didn't bother sifting through the millions of search results so I never found them on ebay. They seem to match my desires perfectly, well made, quality materials, and best of all CHEAP, I'll definitely be trying them out methinks.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="cgrpr"]
Yeah thanks Will. I had a look at his website, I guess it's the Canare LV61S cables that I'd want. They're still £24 a shot though which I know is at the budget end of cables but I've found QED Qunex's for £15 online and the mags rave about them, and those Cambridge Audio Atlantics are £10, which is much more appealing to me if they're going to work just as well.

[/quote]

I wasn't that thrilled with the Cambridges I had (the 30 quid ones, not the tenner ones) and swapped them for Qunex. Instant big improvement: I think the extra you spend on the Qunexes would be apparent in the sound (whatever others may say!). Richer used to let you borrow interconnects so you could try them at home - maybe they still do?

FWIW

A

Anonymous

[quote user="oldphrt"]Mains cables, now that's really just damn stupid. [/quote]

Stupid, maybe, but they work. Have you tried them? Just because something is counter-intuitive is no reason to rubbish them.

After I switched mine to Krystal Kables my wife (no audiophile!) walked into the room and said. "That sounds better - what have you done?"

Try 'em before you scoff.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="oldphrt"][quote user="LDW"]my wife (no audiophile!) walked into the room and said. "That sounds better - what have you done?"[/quote]

Turned the volume up? Put a well recorded CD on?

[quote user="LDW"]Try 'em before you scoff. [/quote]

The mains lead isn't in the signal path. It can't make a difference. Try to understand.[/quote]

Follow this link

cgrpr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
After sifting through all the messages and checking out everybody's suggestions, I have decided to go with the Gotham cables off ebay. They are cheap, they sound like they are very well made, they have excellent reviews, and after 800 odd listings the seller still has a 100% record which is impressive in my book, and it shows that his product must live up to expectations.

So anyway, thanks for all your input in this thread guys, even you oldphrt, I'm not sure you added anything particularly constructive, but I guess you did add some entertainment.

cgrpr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"]

I posted a link to some well made leads that cost less than a fiver. Maybe you didn't see it.[/quote]

Ah yes, so you did. Just out of interest oldphrt, what do you have connecting your hifi components?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="cgrpr"]Just out of interest oldphrt, what do you have connecting your hifi components?[/quote]
He just won a pair of Nordost on this forum!!!

BTW let us know how do you like my cable's recommendation.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Oldphrt, I saw MIB using £6 leads to connected up £4000 worth of Esoteric and Vector and no one even comment on it so you no need to convince me, my mind is totally clear!

cgrpr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]BTW let us know how do you like my cable's recommendation.
[/quote]

My new Gotham cables arrived on Saturday morning and I just had enough time to connect them up and have a quick listen before I went away for a couple of days. Now I'm back, so here's my thoughts:

I haven't had time to do a proper comparison with my original cables, but I can't say I really heard anything obviously different, which isn't a bad thing as I liked the sound of my stereo before and I still like it. The cables themselves however are a vast improvement, both in looks and build. I like the fact that they are nothing fancy, just plain matt black PVC wires that are incredibly flexible, which makes routing through my stereo rack much easier. The Neutrik plugs, which are again matt black but metal this time, look great and have a nice tight fit and also incorporate a compressed spring at the back to provide strain relief where the cable exits the plug. All in all I'd say they have advantages over both OE cables and expensive branded items and when they can be got for a mere £10 then they're a steal!

Next time someone comes on the forum with a question like mine, point them straight towards the Gothams on ebay, they needn't look elsewhere!

A

Anonymous

Oldphrt,

I've just read a post from MO! on the new thread called "what speaker cable?" . Read the link in his post, it's most interesting. See how a skeptic insist on scientific proof after a double blind test! He doesn't even want to get the cables send to his home so he could verify. What it all comes down to, I think, is the weakest link in the hifi chain is ourselves and our personal (sound) preferences. I think I'll stick to mine.
emotion-5.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="cgrpr"]Next time someone comes on the forum with a question like mine, point them straight towards the Gothams on ebay, they needn't look elsewhere![/quote]

I am glad you like them pal.....
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="oldphrt"][quote user="Solomon1"]

BTW I've never said that speaker cables don't make a difference, check out the "Old Nordost" thread. This thread is about interconnects, it's those and mains leads that don't make a difference. If you would like to send me some to try please, by all means, feel free.[/quote]

You clearly haven't bothered to read the new thread. I'm open to the possibility that interconnect cables like the gotham's are as good as upmarked branded ones. I'll quote MO! first:

"Re: Which Speaker Cables?

I
use a MF/Mission combo myself. I tried various cables of various
values.
My point was that it's easy to be sucked into the marketing surrounding
cables. If you hear a difference, then fine. I thought I heard one
years ago too. Approaching it again a couple of years ago, I'm now far
more scepticle and don't imagine I'd invest anymore in cables than what
I currently have.
I'd certainly never splash out without trying before.
I hope the mod's don't mind me suggesting this, but maybe try
contacting a guy called zanash over on the zerogain forum.
He's big on DIY, especially cables and should be able to help you out
if you want to go that route.
All the best."

This guy called zanash also did a test with home made interconnects made out of different cable. He disguished them to look the same and then asked audience to comment on the sound. To their surprise they did hear a difference. If you want the cables contact zanash on the zerogain forum.

"What it all comes down to, I think, is the weakest link in the hifi chain is ourselves[/quote]

In your case that is probably true.
emotion-5.gif
"

What I meant to say that, when well designed hifi is concerned, whether you like the sound or not is not a matter of science but a matter of preference.For instance, I like the sound of the Sennheisers hd650, but somebody else may find they're not to his/her taste and actually prefer grado's rs1's
Hey, that's ok with me, I still enjoy every minute of my listening through them.
It appears, however, that your not open to discussion, but rather make cynical remarks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts