cd you could not live without

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Tori Amos. Really beginning to settle into the new album now
emotion-1.gif
But the BeeKeeper album has a special place in my heart.

daProwler...still creeping.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:a.g.:JoelSim:
Leftfield - Leftism

Way overhyped IMHO.Appetite For Destruction by Guns N' Roses is a true classic, as is Defenders Of The Faith by Judas Priest. And then there's Simple Things by Zero 7 which is just a beautiful album.

ÿ

I couldnt disagree more. Fantastic album that I listen to every week even though I've owned it for 10 years. ÿ

I applaud your restraint. Given the original question, that reply was crass.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
a.g.:JoelSim:
Leftfield - Leftism

Way overhyped IMHO.

Appetite For Destruction by Guns N' Roses is a true classic, as is Defenders Of The Faith by Judas Priest. And then there's Simple Things by Zero 7 which is just a beautiful album.

Love Simple things, very nice album. But even as a big fan of Zero 7, that album is a complete Air rip-off.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
jubair:
Drummerdave:At Action Park by Shellac - and not just because it's fantastic but also because it opened up a whole world of underground music I never previously knew existed.

good choice, 1000 hurts equally good IMO, also like lots of albini produced albums such as pixies 'surfer rosa', pj harvey's 'dry', nirvana's 'in utero', mclusky 'mclusky do dallas' etc. he really is some 'sound engineer'!

Love all that stuff too Jubair - can't ignore his work with the Jesus Lizard, the drum sound on Goat is incredible. The Albini recorded Mogwai single My Father My King has to be one of their best tracks.

I agree that 1000 Hurts runs Action Park pretty close - both brilliant albums

A

Anonymous

esky:
What cd or record could you not live without????

For me I think it would be " a kind of blue" by Miles Davies

My goodness you've got good taste, for me though I'd have to toss between that and Sketches of Spain.

I'd probably cheat and take both and maybe Someday My Prince Will Come and perhaps.......

A

Anonymous

While both are very good (essential pieces in my music collection if I had to choose one I'd rather have Porgy and Bess, but that's just me..

A

Anonymous

But if I really had to choose, I would pick The Smiths' 'The Queen is Dead' over anything, everyday. It's a phenomenal piece of work, both in songwriting (fantastic melodies and lyrics) but also in recording. Morrissey is a lyrical genius and Marr is a melodious mastermind, combined they made some of the most enchanting music ever (to my ears at least). TQID has changed the way I listen to music, and shaped my musicaltastes. Had I not discovered the album, I would probably have never been as obsessed with music as I am today. Best album ever? I surely think so.

For the people that also like the Smiths (and/or TQID for that matter) pitchfork.com is currently hosting a documentary about the making of the album, it's only available for a week, so be sure to check it out soon.

A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:Tool: Lateralus

A wise choice young Canadian Sir, although I have many facets to my taste and therefore hard to choose..........

Can I add Counting Crows 'Hard Candy'?
emotion-1.gif

daveh75

JoelSim:a.g.:JoelSim:

Leftfield - Leftism

Way overhyped IMHO.Appetite For Destruction by Guns N' Roses is a true classic, as is Defenders Of The Faith by Judas Priest. And then there's Simple Things by Zero 7 which is just a beautiful album.

I couldnt disagree more. Fantastic album that I listen to every week even though I've owned it for 10 years.

would agree with you js, leftism is a great album,was listening to it earlier,

but think my choice would be livewood-paul weller

A

Anonymous

Lughnasad by Andy Pickford. Superb EM!

http://www.electrogarden.com/reviews.php?rid=84&sortby=

A

Anonymous

Possibly:

Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus.

or

Tom Waits - Real Gone.

They both suit my moods pretty well these days.

scorps

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
was bad enough having to pick my top 10
emotion-7.gif

and already some fine albums already mentioned the the - mind bomb is awesome as are the floyd suggestions and leftism is still one of my testers if buying new gear as has many different facets

but for me personally would have to be either tears for fears-sowing the seeds of love, thomas dolby-flat earth or kate bush hounds of love none of which i woudlnt liek to think that i wouldnt get a chance to listen to again

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
Difficult.

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen.
His debut album.
I never get tired of these songs.

or

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Not every song on this album is really great, but the overall mood, atmosphere and guitar sound is so beautiful!

or

The Beatles - Revolver
Especially for "She said She said".

(I completely forgot classical albums like: Bach's Mass in B, Bartok's Four Orchestral Pieces or Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe...)

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:do you not think wish you were here is by far the better album - its just the best 3am album ever made

i would go for Counting Crows August and Everything After

No. It's taken me alot of consideration, but I think the Pink Floyd Greatest Album list would be: 1)DSOTM 2) Wish You Were Here 3) The Wall. But yes, wish you were here is a fantastic album, however DSOTM has more memories for me!

A

Anonymous

tounra:

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Not every song on this album is really great, but the overall mood, atmosphere and guitar sound is so beautiful!

Excellent decision, awesome album indeed.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
'august and everything after' counting crows

'grace' jeff buckley

'o' damien rice

'ten' pearl jam

i realise i'm cheating a bit, but i couldn't choose.

pekers678

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Hmm - depending on genre:

Rock: The Eagles - Hotel California
Classical: Chopin - John Ogden plays Nocturnes and Etudes.
Jazz: Oscar Peterson - Round Midnight

A

Anonymous

pekers678:

Rock: The Eagles - Hotel California

Last week, when I was on a cruise in the Med, we had to use the lifeboats to tender to port - the guy driving the boat had a car hi-fi system in it (this is a lifeboat ladies and gentleman) and he put on the Hotel California CD VERY LOUD ...we Brits were remaining conservative at such a situation but the Americans? They were singing like anything! What ledgends!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bretty:

'grace' jeff buckley

'o' damien rice

'ten' pearl jam

I love Ten. I also have all of Pearl Jams CDs, but I always find it quite sad when the best album of an artist, is the first. Of course some may disagree, but the rest have been a shadow of Ten imo.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:JoelSim:a.g.:JoelSim:
Leftfield - Leftism

ÿ

I couldnt disagree more. Fantastic album that I listen to every week even though I've owned it for 10 years. ÿ

ÿ

A true classic indeed, Song of Life is just amazing when it comes to life. In fact I'm going to put it on now.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I used to know John Legend..

when he was just John Very Good.

ÿ

But seriously, can I add a single tune to the mix as being an absolute legendary tune, and if you haven't heard it I suggest you get onto Amazon right this minute and buy either The Beach soundtrack, or Underworld's compilation. It's called 8-Ball and is just incredible, recording quality is poor but it is a true classic, 8 mins long and whilst the first 4 minutes are excellent, the last 4 minutes are the best you will ever hear, whatever genre of music you like.

And because of that one tune, I couldn't live without at least one of the aforementioned CDs.ÿ

ÿ

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
fr0g:bretty:

'grace' jeff buckley

'o' damien rice

'ten' pearl jam

I love Ten. I also have all of Pearl Jams CDs, but I always find it quite sad when the best album of an artist, is the first. Of course some may disagree, but the rest have been a shadow of Ten imo.

Funnily enough, played this on vinyl yesterday for the first time in about ten years...Quite agree, it was their finist work. Well produced too!!

daveh75

JoelSim:daveh75:JoelSim:a.g.:JoelSim:

Leftfield - Leftism

I couldnt disagree more. Fantastic album that I listen to every week even though I've owned it for 10 years.

A true classic indeed, Song of Life is just amazing when it comes to life. In fact I'm going to put it on now.

top shout, song of life is 1 of my favourite tracks on the album, that and open up,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts