cd you could not live without

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
good on you for being a pearl jam fan, frog

ten is undoubtably the best, but i also love 'no code'.

here's a little mini thread for the pearl jam fans out there: favourite pearl jam song?

mine would have to be 'footsteps'

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty:

here's a little mini thread for the pearl jam fans out there: favourite pearl jam song?

I always find PJ to be very moody..Therefore my best track from them of all time is Nothingman off the Vitalogy album. the line "use to be something..nothing man" fantastic!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
It's called 8-Ball and is just incredible, recording quality is poor but it is a true classic, 8 mins long and whilst the first 4 minutes are excellent, the last 4 minutes are the best you will ever hear, whatever genre of music you like.

I've had that cd for years and don't think I've ever listened to all of it. Just had a listen to mentioned song and you're right it is a good'n! Sorry to say quite enjoy the following europop song by Sugar Ray too!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
fr0g:bretty:

'august and everything after' counting crows

'grace' jeff buckley

'o' damien rice

'ten' pearl jam

i realise i'm cheating a bit, but i couldn't choose.

I love Ten. I also have all of Pearl Jams CDs, but I always find it quite sad when the best album of an artist, is the first. Of course some may disagree, but the rest have been a shadow of Ten imo.

I`m sure most would agree that Ten was the best album. It got me thinking about other bands and how many could be considered to have peaked on their first album. Might be worth starting a thread on this one?

A

Anonymous

Good to see I'm not alone in liking The The - I thought Matt J was more or less forgotten by everyone else. Haven't listened to Mind Bomb in years though but Dusk is never far from the cd-player:

And have you ever wanted something so badly
that it possessed your body & your soul
through the night & through the day
until you finally get it!
And then you realise that it wasn't what you wanted after all.
And then those selfsame sickly little thoughts
now go and attach themselves to something....
....or somebody....new!
And the whole goddamn thing starts all over again.

The Good, the Bad and the Queen is a recent favorite. Paul Simonons hard and tight bass work really puts my Scorpios to work. A beautiful album.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Pike900fish:bretty:

I always find PJ to be very moody..Therefore my best track from them of all time is Nothingman off the Vitalogy album. the line "use to be something..nothing man" fantastic!
emotion-21.gif

Nothingman is a good choice, that is my favourite track off vitalogy. Eddies voice has never sounded better than on that track. it's a shame he's lost the high register of his voice in the last five years or so.

A

Anonymous

Sigur Ros ( ) Absolutely superb. Turn the lights off, crank up the volume and let it wash over you. The build up at the end is just fantastic.

Mendelsohnn's Violin Concerto

Beethoven's 7th Symphony

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Maria Callas - 2 CD Set Music from TV, film and Opera.

It's got many of her most memorable Arias and is pretty captivating once you get into it. I heard of Maria Callas many years ago, but first really noticed her on hearing her performance of La mamma morta in the film Philadelphia. Very moving.

Because the music was recorded half a century ago, the sound quality isn't the best in terms of hifi. Nevertheless the quality of the music itself is more than enough to draw me in and make everything disappear for an hour or so. Magic.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Hmm this is a hard one.

Torn between two really

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys

or

Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

Its a hard call but probably Siamese Dream by Pumpkins.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
MusicLover:Good to see I'm not alone in liking The The - I thought Matt J was more or less forgotten by everyone else. Haven't listened to Mind Bomb in years though but Dusk is never far from the cd-player:

And have you ever wanted something so badly
that it possessed your body & your soul
through the night & through the day
until you finally get it!
And then you realise that it wasn't what you wanted after all.
And then those selfsame sickly little thoughts
now go and attach themselves to something....
....or somebody....new!
And the whole goddamn thing starts all over again.

The Good, the Bad and the Queen is a recent favorite. Paul Simonons hard and tight bass work really puts my Scorpios to work. A beautiful album.

In my teens I was a big 'Infected' fan but I had it on tape, so it has long since gone. Having said that 'Soul Mining' is still a legendary album (in parts). That Uncertain Smile is special.

A

Anonymous

Havent been on line for days so just read the replies and there are some really great albums, kind of a what hifi best of.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:
Surf Matt:Leftfield - Leftism

good choice, was listening to it earlier,

Never tire of that album.

Or Chemical Bros - Exit Planet Dust, Kruder and Dorfmeister - K&D Sessions or Thievery Corporation - Richest Man in Babylon.

All classics - in my own humble opinion of course!

A

Anonymous

where it all started for me - Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix. Many of the subsequent 1000ish albums over 40 years have come very close but none has ever eclipsed it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts