CD transport on Ebay

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I've posted previously about replacing my aged Denon DCD 1290, which I always felt was the weakest link in my Hifi (see spec below).

I have considered the Cyrus 6se (now on offer at less than £400), but at this moment it's well at the upper limits of my budget.

I'd like to keep using my Audio Alchemy Dac, and have now had my head turned by EBay and am considering the Arcam options. My first port of call could be a Delta 250 CD transport, or even an Alpha 5, Alpha 7, 8Se, Delta 70, or stretching to a CD72.

Any suggestions on what would be a sensible option for an upgrade. I like the sound of the 250 transport and it's in coming with my aged (and surpisingly, wife acceptable) system.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
If I looked at the 8SE/CD72 or Alpha 9, would their built in DAC's be better than my external Audio Alchemy DAC? Ditto for the option of a new Cyrus 6SE?

I'll look at Ebay over the next week and see if I can guage what is a good price for old hifi kit. Is there a rule of thumb on costs that could be applied to what I should pay for second hand gear?

It would be nice to stick with Arcam, but are there any other alternatives that I should consider?

A

Anonymous

pete, if you look around you can find new CD192s for under 400 notes! a much safer option than buying aged transports and trying to match them to your existing dac. not to mention the CD192 is a stunning player!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Fully agree with the above post :)

With regards to the Arcam Alpha 9; IMO its one of the best CD players out there for its age!

There are few CDP's that you can get under £1k that will better it

A

Anonymous

My school has an Alpha 9 and it really, really is superb - sounds like what a £2k turntable sounds like (Without the flutter, wow, pops and noise) - warm, smooth, detailed and with absolutly fantastic bass!) And add the typical Arcam reliability and you have a winner!

A

Anonymous

Yes, I should think so - but the only way to tell is to listen.

A

Anonymous

Pete Shields:
would there then be mileage in using the DAC to power my PC's soundcard?

Yes - does it have a USB input or will you use the optical output?

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Did you get the Delta 250. I too was watching that. If you did go for it, how does it sound? I'd be interested to know how it compares to the later Alpha range. I have a Black Box 50 and was considering it for a second system.

matthewpiano

Hughes123:My school has an Alpha 9 and it really, really is superb - sounds like what a £2k turntable sounds like (Without the flutter, wow, pops and noise) - warm, smooth, detailed and with absolutly fantastic bass!) And add the typical Arcam reliability and you have a winner!

Sorry Hughesy, are you crazy???? I'm really very concerned about the £2k turntable set-ups you've heard. The Alpha 9 was a DECENT CD player but there are limits....

And as for reliability, the Alpha players are getting on now and are based on Sony laser blocks that are getting increasingly difficult to replace.

A good £400 model of today will thrash the Alpha IMO. Even an end-of-line CD73 at £299 would see it off.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
UTM, as a complete newbie to ebay, I lost my bottle a bit in the last 5 mins of the auction (when it suddenly shot over £100) and gave up. Think it may have worked well with my DAC

I'm auditioning a Cyrus 6 (now £400) this week and will also try with my DAC. I will also try the new Cyrus 6SE and see how that compares.

Exciting week next week then !

TRENDING THREADS