CD players on the way out?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
The answer really lies in how and what type of music you listen to. I have a Densen £1400 Cd player and the programme function doesn't work. I thought about returning it to be fixed, but actually I never use it. If you listen to classical music, it is long enough for you to not need to keep jumping up and changing 'tracks'. In fact the genre is not really refered to as 'tracks', but complete pieces of music, broken into movements. Furthermore, hardly any new releases (by current performers) is available as a download, although there are exceptions, it is clearly a minority of new releases. Even with popular artists, I listen to the complete album eg Van Morrison, Neil Young, Steely Dan, because these are 'serious', 'timeles' artists who have produced a classic body of work that warrents repeated listening. Secondly, I have found CD's to be much cheaper to buy via Amazon than individual mp3 downloads. Also, the last thing I want is a screen of any kind in the room where I listen to music. Finally, it is with great regret that I didnt purchase a SACD player and am considering buying one to run side-by-side with the Densen, as so much classical music uses this format. Although it must be said that the sound quality on a lot of new classical releases in standard format is outstanding and with classical music the quality and care taken over the recording is paramount. Unlike pop/rock a single piece of music might have up to 50 different recordings of the same work.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
lonely boy:As much as I like listening to music from my computer, I'd echo Matthew's views. I listen to a lot of (dare I say it) serious music and I don't really see much of a benefit playing it from a computer really.

I don't know how often I've said this but using a computer is a the last option I'd choose for playing music. I can listen to my entire collection without any computers in the house being switched on at all.

Also I think that I find it more it personal and easier to concentrate just listening to CDs, or SACDs for that matter.

I don't really follow the train of thought?

T

the record spot

basshead:
i hope cd players do die off. not because of the cd player, but because of cd's - they are rubbish. digital downloads dont skip when you play them, dont rot away over time and dont get lost at parties.

It's probaby just me, but I've never yet had a CD that exhibited that behviour. There's nothing in any of that list that never happened to vinyl either, so I'm unsure why CD gets this treatment?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Re: CD players on the way out?

'serious' , 'timeless' music? Do we really have to go there?

Yes, we do, because it sorts out the men from the boys.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cse:Yes, we do, because it sorts out the men from the boys.

images

"Clank!"

Tonestar1

I think the format is dead as it doesn't provide anything better than it's two main rivals in anyway. For that reason i witll go the same way as the cassette, may still be plenty players in use but it is a dying format. no two ways about it.

Vinyl: - High quality analogue sound, tactile, collectible, not particularly portable, takes up a large amount of storage space

CD:- High quality digital sound, tactile, collectible, not particularly portable, takes up a large amount of storage space

Computer based ;- High quality digital sound, Even higher quality sound available through res high dowloads, very portable, not tactile. minimal storage space required.

Even with SACD, DVD and BR audio its only a matter of time before all of this is going to be available via the computer based medium. The format is tired and will die.

That's all just my opinion of course but it seems pretty logical to me.

dx052

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey. I am no Hi FI expert but I have been collecting music for nearly thirty years (and worked within the industry for a period) and I an quiet happy with CDs. I was a vinyl collector and had thousands of records until I sold 90% of them because they took up way to much space. I don't have a problem with new formats as long as the quality gets better and not worse, I don't call MP3 an improvement! and thats what the masses are interested in and thats what record companies look at when they are looking at sales. HI Res downloads are great but no good to me at the moment as I am not interested in the Beetles or John Coltrane, come to think of it the soul, dance, RNB (not the pop one) genres are pretty much $ucked pardon my french, most of the masters are either lost or no good anymore so vinyl or CD is the best way to get what I want at decent quality moving forward. Hey if you like Mariah Carey it's not a problem as the record companies love her as she she sells units and her formats sound nice for the most part. The Rock & Pop world are covered in terms of getting availability, I still don't really want to mess around with too much computer systems I spend to much time already as it is. Record companies are like banks, they lend money with a view of making a massive profit they don't do it because they love the artist. If downloads are king & hard drive space is cheap why we listening to a compressed format still!

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Sizzers:If computer based music is the way forward, why do you have to keep backing everything up?Because the key players in the digital music market refuse to sell a license to a file that can be re-downloaded numerous times, rather than the actual file.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
At the moment, CD is still the best format. Its collectable, hi quality, takes up little space, is cheap and is less hassle than poor quality downloads plus you get to keep it for as long as you want.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:Well surely if it's the way forward, you shouldn't have to re-download it?

With a cloud bassed system this wont be a problem,Pure are offering this service already.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
dx052:Hey. I am no Hi FI expert but I have been collecting music for nearly thirty years (and worked within the industry for a period) and I an quiet happy with CDs. I was a vinyl collector and had thousands of records until I sold 90% of them because they took up way to much space. I don't have a problem with new formats as long as the quality gets better and not worse, I don't call MP3 an improvement! and thats what the masses are interested in and thats what record companies look at when they are looking at sales. HI Res downloads are great but no good to me at the moment as I am not interested in the Beetles or John Coltrane, come to think of it the soul, dance, RNB (not the pop one) genres are pretty much $ucked pardon my french, most of the masters are either lost or no good anymore so vinyl or CD is the best way to get what I want at decent quality moving forward. Hey if you like Mariah Carey it's not a problem as the record companies love her as she she sells units and her formats sound nice for the most part. The Rock & Pop world are covered in terms of getting availability, I still don't really want to mess around with too much computer systems I spend to much time already as it is. Record companies are like banks, they lend money with a view of making a massive profit they don't do it because they love the artist. If downloads are king & hard drive space is cheap why we listening to a compressed format still!

Think youre not quite grasping the possibilities of music files. Ive never downloaded music, I buy cds (of all types of music) extract all the information contained on said cd (not a compressed version of it) with a laptop (2 minutes), then play it via a machine which is akin to a cd player only without the transport to extract the information every time, as Ive already done that bit earlier. No real need to back it up either as if you keep the cd, youve already got a master copy. However with the price of hard drives coming down, it makes sense to make 2 copies in order to save you the hassle of re ripping a large collection if something does go wrong. Simple really. CD /BD will remain the format that most people who are concerned about SQ will buy, but to answer the OP, yes dedicated CD players are on their last legs in the mainstream anyway.

dx052

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have grasped the possibilities of music files thank you very much! I know exactly what you can do with it. I just don't care to do it. I am very happy with my CD player or dusting of my vinyl which are stored away.

A

Anonymous

Nobody knows whats going to happen to cds . They are going to be around for a while . I think down loads are a rubbish and they do not have the true quality of real hifi . Vinyl is alive and well so why wouldn't cds ?

A

Anonymous

Also , from an article I read . If everyone went the root of downloads mp3 , ipods etc then music engineers won't give a rats ass willy in creating the best possible production and just make the music loud . It would be a waste of there time .

A

Anonymous

a few weeks ago i bought an airport express and a v dac, i connected my blu-ray player and the airport express to the dac, and ripped a few cd's to itunes, and checked out what was what..

cd's played on my bdp sounded as good as on my marantz cd6003 and itunes to the dac sounds ever so slightly better..

the next day i sold my cd6003, i simply didn't need it, one less box and my music is more easily accessable..

a similar set-up is the future for many, and cd players sales will inevitably drop..

matthewpiano

shooter69:Sizzers:Well surely if it's the way forward, you shouldn't have to re-download it?

With a cloud bassed system this wont be a problem,Pure are offering this service already.

However, a cloud based system depends on your internet connection working and being reliable enough to cope with streaming. The way a lot of internet connections are at present, it just isn't an acceptable solution.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:

a few weeks ago i bought an airport express and a v dac, i connected my blu-ray player and the airport express to the dac, and ripped a few cd's to itunes, and checked out what was what..

cd's played on my bdp sounded as good as on my marantz cd6003 and itunes to the dac sounds ever so slightly better..

the next day i sold my cd6003, i simply didn't need it, one less box and my music is more easily accessable..

By the way you've increased the number of boxes by at least 2 (v dac and AE) if you don't include the laptop.

I've been deciding how I can easily make use of my computer to store and play my music so that it sounds as good or better as my HiFi's Basically, it involves adding lots of new components. e.g. new soundcard, new DAC, and another Amp and speakers as the computer is not near existing HiFi's. I could just use headphones but I would need a good separate headphone amp and DAC/ soundcard still. So basically for me its still far easier and cheaper to have one box (cd player). Also the computer route gives other problems such as higher power consumption, lots of noise and less portable than cds.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

a similar set-up is the future for many, and cd players sales will inevitably drop..

My music's easily accessible too.

Lean over, pluck a CD, press a button on the remote, tray opens on CDP, pop the CD in the tray, click another button to close the tray, press "Play". Two physical movements, three clicks, job done!

A

Anonymous

Yes that may be so but did it retrieve the best possible information in every nook and cranny ? Is it detailed ? Professional audio engineers could could point this out between downloads and true hifidelity Anything is easily accessible . I think you jumped the gun by selling off your player .

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:shooter69:Sizzers:Well surely if it's the way forward, you shouldn't have to re-download it?

However, a cloud based system depends on your internet connection working and being reliable enough to cope with streaming. The way a lot of internet connections are at present, it just isn't an acceptable solution.

I must admit that my connection drops out on a daily basis with Plus Net (server 50 miles away) but when i was with BT it was very stable and reliable. But for sure wher your located has an effect on quality of service, surly though over time this will be resolved.

I've just noticed that Sony have a cloud based system running called "Qriocity" anyone using this?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:shooter69:Sizzers:Well surely if it's the way forward, you shouldn't have to re-download it?

For crying out loud, pay attention! Nobody is talking about NOW, we're talking about 5 years, 10 years, 20 years time. By then, NOBODY will have dodgy internet connections, in fact, you won't be able to get away from it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts