CD player recommendation?

timelk

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I've recently moved from a Denon D39 and bought an Onkyo A9010 to hook my old technics 1210 up to. I want to add a CD player, back in the day I had a Marantz CD63, was wondering what people thought about buying a good quality old Marantz on ebay, a 63 or a 5400 vs a modern CD player, top budget would be about £200, so maybe the Onkyo 7030 to match the amp. I don't like the appearence of the new Marantz 6005. Sound quality is my main criteria, speakers are Q2020's. Thanks!

insider9

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Marantz CD63 is still a very good sounding player. If you can find one in good nick I'd go for it. I sold mine for £50 and around that price I can't see you getting more for your money.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

If I were you I'd buy any old half decent cheap CD player and use the main part of the money on changing your speakers to something better, new trading in your ones, or used doing the same. If you want an upgrade in sound pound for pound, I think better speakers would do that.

If you don't mind mixing and matching...there's some fine arcam players on the well known auction site...cd 82 at 179 quid would be my pick brilliant player and will give 1k players a run for their money also a tad above your 200 budget is a cd92 with the near legendary ring dac....these players are probably about as high( and then some) a level I would partner with your current amplifier and they will let it shine...imo.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The thing is though, even if a £180 used CD player is as capable as one at £1000, will the op notice a big enough difference between that CD player and say a used £50 one on his system, where otherwise you'd notice a bigger change by doing something more fundamental with that money in changing speakers. That's how id look at it, assuming sq is main priority.

If you put £1000 of cd capability into a system, it needs to be matched with similar capability in amps and speakers to get the benefit out of it. Otherwise a waste of money.

This is very true 13th but he was asking about cd players and in the old context of linn and naim....source always comes first approach then this would pave the way for further upgrades in the future for both amplifier and speakers.THATS IF the cd player lasts the distance.lol.and that is why I'd probably be looking at a streaming based system in the current climate.

timelk

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
that's great advice, thanks all, in terms of speakers do you think that the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 would make a significant difference https://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/bronze-2/review and if not then is there something better at a similar price (am stretching budget already!) thanks again

timelk said:
that's great advice, thanks all, in terms of speakers do you think that the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 would make a significant difference https://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/bronze-2/review and if not then is there something better at a similar price (am stretching budget already!) thanks again
The MA are a very different sound, but you must hear them to decide if you like them. Don't just look at five stars either! Are you near a Richer Sounds?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I'd agree and listen first obviously. Richer sounds will have lots to choose from, but take your amp in when demoing. If you do decide on different speakers instead.

But on sources, in budget systems, I'd definetly put sources last. I think that thinking came from a time when dacs were not as good and a major issue against that thinking, is that sources are all so good for your money nowadays, particularly budget systems, whereas they werent 20 years ago.

I put sources last in my system, relatively speaking, with most spending on amplification.

Mentioned so many times on here, buying a CDP of that vintage will always be a huge gamble. The big issue with old CDPs are the lasers and transport, which often fail after a while.

If you're going s/hand for a CDP then source one from a dealer or a seller that offers a warranty.

Based on your budget and dislike for Marantz, then maybe this

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/cd-players/yamaha-cds300-blk.html

plastic penguin said:
Mentioned so many times on here, buying a CDP of that vintage will always be a huge gamble. The big issue with old CDPs are the lasers and transport, which often fail after a while.

If you're going s/hand for a CDP then source one from a dealer or a seller that offers a warranty.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

The last time I bought a CD player I followed Lampizator's advice and bought a TDA1549 chipped, Phillips made, Marantz CD 48 for £20 cash on collection.

The draw mechanism plays up every time I move it and then settles down after a bit of use.

So yeah, I gambled the huge sum of £20. I've only directly compared it to a Denon CD player that I bought for £15 so far. They sound similar. I'd have a slight preference for the sweeter midrange of the Marantz.

I'd be very happy to bake the Marantz CD 48 off against any other CD player or digital source. So far I'm not convinced that it's worth spending more than £20 on a digital source, but I do have an open mind and would be happy to discover a killer CD player or DAC or streamer that can only be bought for considerably more.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I think the OP is looking for a 'sorted' CDP without any hassle. Genuinely believe he's looking for a ready made solution.
Strange post. Nobody in this thread is suggesting that he solders together a CD player from a kit of parts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts