CD player below 1k eur

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Good morning all,

I am in the search for a back-up cd-player but I don't want to spend more than 1k eur.

Is there anything in the market at this price level which has to be on my list?

- For the time being I can hava a Rega Apollo at 499 eur new (don't like design to mach)

- Audio Analogue Maestro (the old version) at 600 eur second hand

- Audio Analogue Crescendo new at 680 eur.

- Was thinking about the Marantz CD6004

Any other advise? Design is important also :rofl:

Thanks

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
then buy the one you think is best looking. The fact that the apollo would probably make it sound like a bag of nails is irrelevent.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you should leave the CDP until you have your system up and running. My logic for saying this, is I don't think you will end up using it.

I have a Linn Karik/Numerik (a relatively highend player from the early 90s) which is an excellent player.....and it's been used once in 2 years, as the Majik DS is simply better and makes music selection easier/simpler. If I owned a TT, I wouldn't even have used it the once.

Since you are putting a lot of money (and effort) into getting this right first time, with expensive cabling etc, I wouldn't spend any extra in areas which may not be used enough to justify the spend.

I suspect that most people who have gone the streaming route (playing lossless) with a decent Dac/Streamer, seldom use/have ditched their CDP.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think you should leave the CDP until you have your system up and running. My logic for saying this, is I don't think you will end up using it. I have a Linn Karik/Numerik (a relatively highend player from the early 90s) which is an excellent player.....and it's been used once in 2 years, as the Majik DS is simply better and makes music selection easier/simpler. If I owned a TT, I wouldn't even have used it the once. Since you are putting a lot of money (and effort) into getting this right first time, with expensive cabling etc, I wouldn't spend any extra in areas which may not be used enough to justify the spend. I suspect that most people who have gone the streaming route (playing lossless) with a decent Dac/Streamer, seldom use/have ditched their CDP.

I agree about everything you said...that's why I mentioned it's going to be a "back-up" CDP? What does that mean?

Well its easy said...it's an unexpensive CDP which will allow me to play some CDs quickly instead of ripping the CDs and uploading on the NAS and streaming. Examples

- I borrow some CDs to try...if I like I will buy them and rip

- I have friends over with their music (for example would have been handy when Roby came and brought loads of CDs...fortunately he brough also a CD player).

- Not IT used people want to listen to something...much easier to take a cd from collection and play it "old style"

Now Marantz cd6004 can be found at less tnan 300GBP...I think it's great value for the money and would be up to the job

Does it make sense?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I agree about everything you said...that's why I mentioned it's going to be a "back-up" CDP? What does that mean?

Well its easy said...it's an unexpensive CDP which will allow me to play some CDs quickly instead of ripping the CDs and uploading on the NAS and streaming. Examples

- I borrow some CDs to try...if I like I will buy them and rip

- I have friends over with their music (for example would have been handy when Roby came and brought loads of CDs...fortunately he brough also a CD player).

- Not IT used people want to listen to something...much easier to take a cd from collection and play it "old style"

Now Marantz cd6004 can be found at less tnan 300GBP...I think it's great value for the money and would be up to the job

Does it make sense?

I think it makes sense in theory, but what I've generally found is either I just rip them (3 - 4 mins each) and delete any I don't like; check them out at the friend's house first or listen to them in the car.

If you get a good streamer, you will want to hear the CDs through that anyway. IMO It's another box that needs space on the rack, plugged in to its own socket and connected with another i/c.....when in actuality, all it will be doing is gathering dust for 99% of the time.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A small form factor CD that takes up a lot less space might be OK like so:

Ausio Analogue Primo

Cyrus 8SE

but if you are hardly going to use the CD, it might make more sense to get more use out of it with an all-in-one combo that you can use as a backup CD/transport, daily radio, party music player, DVD player etc.

Nad Viso

Arcam Solo Mini

Marantz MCR603

Or altenatively one of these to play and store your entire CD collection ;-)

Sony 300 CD

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A small form factor CD that takes up a lot less space might be OK like so:

Ausio Analogue Primo

Cyrus 8SE

but if you are hardly going to use the CD, it might make more sense to get more use out of it with an all-in-one combo that you can use as a backup CD/transport, daily radio, party music player, DVD player etc.

Nad Viso

Arcam Solo Mini

Marantz MCR603

Or altenatively one of these to play and store your entire CD collection ;-)

Sony 300 CD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts