CD Gluttony...burp! Pardon me!

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
After a couple of references to 'Living Stereo' CDs and the sound quality by a few people in a thread started in the Hi-Fi forum I took a virtual wander over to the big A.co.uk and looked them up. There was a box set of 60 discs for just over 60 quid. Flamin' bargains get on your pip! Darn. All those bargains calling out to me....just impossible not to add them to the shopping cart.. They're a very belated birthday present to myself, that's the angle I'm taking anyway...well that's what I told my wife :roll: :grin: (I really didn't bother on my birthday because I was very, very busy so it's a good excuse...really it is...honest).

This is what I found waiting for me when I got in a littler earlier:

ekc8.jpg

9r73.jpg

iznq.jpg

qk2n.jpg

I think that lot will keep my ears busy for a while. Already started on the Thelonious Monk set (five cds) and they sound excellent. What a bargain they are at £13 for the five cds. Okay, not in cases, but I don't care at all about that to be frank. Easily rectified with CD protector sleeves.

When I ditched my vinyl some time back I had every intention of replacing every piece of vinyl I owned with CD version. This turned out to be a PITA asI discovered that not everything I owned on vinyl was released on CD and some have only been made available in the past few years (Loudon Wainwright III for example). Needless to say I never got around to replacing everthing, and life stuff took over and that was that. Much older now, and I'm actually glad that I don't have some of the stuff I used to have...some of it can stay as 'used to have'. Now I have no intention of replacing all of them, but I do occassionally grab a CD or three of old LPs I had and remember fondly, and also buy stuff I've never heard before at the same time, jsut for balance :)

So much music, so little time.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Fine selection of Hillage there. I happen to think that Green is one of the best sounding CDs in my collection.

I was at the Rainbow when they recorded Live Herald - great venue, better gig.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Well after listening to it I have to agree that Green is a superb sounding CD. In fact, I don't remember it ever sounding as good on my vinyl quite honestly.

I'll be playing Live Herald later. This is an all time favourite album...and triggers a bucket load of memories. I kept the album (gatefold double LP) back when I sold all my vinyl and hung on to it for years afterwards...mad, but I was so attached to it I couldn't bring myself to sell it. :grin: Eventually handed it over to a vinyl enthusiast friend of mine about 5 years ago as it was 'stored' in my wardrobe with some others.

I was at the Rainbow when they recorded Live Herald - great venue, better gig.

Fantastic! And lucky you :)

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, just noticed that the Live Herald album isn't the same as my old vinyl. All of side 4 is missing on the Live Herald CD album. Flip! Looks like it's been replaced with Solar Musick Suite. And side 4 has been added to the beginning of the 'Open' CD...which I didn't get. Oh well, will have to get that next time.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
SiUK said:
Well after listening to it I have to agree that Green is a superb sounding CD. In fact, I don't remember it ever sounding as good on my vinyl quite honestly.

That is my recollection too and I loved it on vinyl. That Nick Mason is not just a good drummer...

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Been having a fantastic time listening to music since I got the discs above. Jacqueline du Pre collection is incredible (17 cds). I already had some EMI cds of her work but the box set versions have mostly been remastered and sound terrific. The living stereo 60 cd set is a revelation. The first disc (audiophile sampler) is a journey down memory lane. Not because I'm old enough to have listened to it at the time but I remember many of them from visiting the old git next door ss a kid. He was into Jim Reeves and the like and had a crappy old record player in a box which he played records on when he got in from the pub :-D Aside of the Hillage cds, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, and others, what I've really enjoyed the most is the Charles Mingus cds. Absolutely fantastic audio quality and just incredible to listen to. Oh Yeah is just brilliant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts