speakerboy

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Hey folks,

I'm moving to a new flat and time to build a new hifi setup. I'm currently eyeing up a pair of second hand:

Castle Howard S3 (~$700) and
Castle Knight 5 (~$550)

Both sets appear to be in good condition, but I haven't been able to hear either (yet).

I enjoy listening to bassy music such as dub, reggae and electronica etc. I'm currently leaning towards the Knight 5s as apparently they can go down to 30Hz vs the Howard S3's 35Hz. Apart from that I'm not sure what there would be to differentiate between them.

Any Castle nerds around? Assuming they are both as good as new, which pair would you go for, and why?

Whilst I love Castle speakers (early versions) I am no expert but I wouldn't consider either of these for your listening preferences. However out of the two I would pick the Knights if only because the Howard's can be:-
"The sound signature of the English pair Howard S3 is also highly original. In MIDs it sometimes shows audiophile refinement, but mid-bass attack in some cases may seem to be slightly weakened. Deep basses are presented with caution, a bit lightweight, but very neatly. Due to this reason timbres of some instruments may seem to be slightly brightened, devoid of required soundness. "

Reactions: speakerboy

speakerboy

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Al ears!

Yeah I read similar reviews that the Howard S3s are a bit weak in the bass department. I figured if they were otherwise outstanding I could always add a sub in the future.

But I'm now leaning more towards the Knights, especially since I've managed to bargain them down to about 250USD, which feels like great value. What would your reservations be with this pair?

Also, I just spotted a pair of Quad 22L for around 500USD, which could also be contenders.

I like Quad speakers, I ha
Thanks for the reply Al ears!

Yeah I read similar reviews that the Howard S3s are a bit weak in the bass department. I figured if they were otherwise outstanding I could always add a sub in the future.

But I'm now leaning more towards the Knights, especially since I've managed to bargain them down to about 250USD, which feels like great value. What would your reservations be with this pair?

Also, I just spotted a pair of Quad 22L for around 500USD, which could also be contenders.
I like Quad speakers, I have six in my home cinema set-up, however that seems expensive for 22L's you should get 23L's for that sort of money.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I like Quad speakers, I ha
I like Quad speakers, I have six in my home cinema set-up, however that seems expensive for 22L's you should get 23L's for that sort of money.

Have you heard the S2's Al? I have been tempted to take a punt on a pair for a while as I am intrigued by the ribbon and apparently they are a lot of speaker for the money.

Have you heard the S2's Al? I have been tempted to take a punt on a pair for a while as I am intrigued by the ribbon and apparently they are a lot of speaker for the money.
I must say I have not heard the S2's and, for that sort of money, I would definitely take a punt because if you don't get on with them then re-selling shouldn't be an issue. Castle really knew how to put together a decent speaker cabinet........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts