Castle Knight 5 @ less than a third of RRP - should I?

abmscopes

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
A certain Scottish Hi-fi dealer has bought up all the remaining stock of the (Chinese) Castle Knight range of speakers. They are now being offered for silly money (for example Knight 5's for £299 with an rrp of £999 with the caveat that they are new but may have cosmetic damage - doesn't bother me). However there is absolutely no way to listen to these before buying as this is an online deal only and no dealers are stocking them.

I am very tempted by the thought of owning 1k speakers for a mere £299 (definately the best price anywhere) but a few things are holding me back. I understand that the sound and build quality is not equal to the original British versions; the salesman himself estimated that they are probably equivilant to speakers costing around the £600 mark. Other brands of speaker costing 1k will sound better.

Also, somewhat oddly in my opinion, it is very hard to track down reviews of any of the Castle Knight range online. I find this odd because they were such a well-regarded British speaker range, I assumed that the likes of What hifi and others would be curious what the newer ones sound like. So, I would be buying without the usual benefit of online reviews.

The few reviews there are online seem to be largely positive but state that the entire range is far more suited to classical music. I listen to a wide variety of music; female vocals, ambient electronic and some pop+rock mainly. But I don't listen to classical at all.

So I guess I'm hoping that someone out there has bought these at some point over the past 4 years or so that they have been available (though priced much higher) and can give me some feedback on owning these new classics...

At £299, if I went for the top model, it seems like a no-brainer, but would they suit my taste in music and would they sound noticably more 'high-end' than my current original castle Pembroke's and also my B&W 601 s2 speakers?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
abmscopes said:
it is very hard to track down reviews of any of the Castle Knight range online. I find this odd because they were such a well-regarded British speaker range, I assumed that the likes of What hifi and others would be curious what the newer ones sound like. So, I would be buying without the usual benefit of online reviews.

I've not seen a review of these anywhere either, though I remember reading in a show report somewhere that (I think) the IAG people behind Wharfedale, etc., had bought up the brand and had a range of speakers on show at an exhibition somewhere.

Were they ever actually sold in the UK? Or were they just made to sell in other markets to cash in on the fame of the brand name and the good reviews the 'old' Castle had before it disappeared?

abmscopes

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Well I'll have to let you find that out yourself; there's only 4 left and if I do decide to buy, the free advertising I provide may well scupper my purchase
wink_smile.gif

abmscopes

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Like I say though, that doesn't bother me. The listing and the bloke in the shop say this refers to the cosmetics only; most of my hifi is 2nd hand now so I've long ago got used to seeing the odd scratch or blemish on equipment. The main thing is that this 'b' stock should sound identical to the premim stock, yes?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
abmscopes said:
Like I say though, that doesn't bother me. The listing and the bloke in the shop say this refers to the cosmetics only; most of my hifi is 2nd hand now so I've long ago got used to seeing the odd scratch or blemish on equipment. The main thing is that this 'b' stock should sound identical to the premim stock, yes?

Yes. I was just clarifying for those who might be interested. 'Cosmetic' damage can cover a multitude of things. Non 'book-matched' veneers, patchy varnishing (like the spray gun ran out half-way throught the job), crushed corners from droppage, etc. etc.

It's a lottery. If you're lucky it'll be a minor blemish on the bottom or back of the speaker. If you are unlucky it'll be something you can't take your eyes off and ruins what were otherwise superbly finished speakers. (No returns are allowed on cosmetic grounds so you'd be stuck with them.)

But - as you say - you aren't bothered what they might look like so it'll be quite a bargain.

abmscopes

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
and yet, something is holding me back! (other than the unnecessary expendeture of £300 on more speakers..) The suspicious, untrusting part of me is saying that there must be a really good reason for such a significant discount and that I am going to just end up with another pair of speakers which sound different but not necessarily better, than those I already have.

The bargain-hunter in me is saying that these (for whatever reason) are not shifting at a higher price and the supplier/dealer, would rather make something on them, even pennies, than nothing. Just wish i could listen to them
confused_smile.gif
but that's the risk you take for the low price, I guess.

abmscopes

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I saw them; hifi corner have been trying to shift these for quite some months now. I gather from reviews they're not Tannoy's finest moment and having heard a similar sized Tannoy model with (one of) my amps- a Pioneer A400, I wasn't that impressed at the rather thin and shrill sound. Might sound beefier with the Arcam/NAD pre/power combo though.

abmscopes

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I suppose what I would like to know (and I realise that this will be highly subjective) is, if I were to buy the Knight 5's, would this be amongst the best ways possible to spend £300 on a pair of non-pre-owned speakers? On ebay £300 can get you a great deal of 2nd hand speaker, many of which quite possibly cost well over £1000 when new, but with this offer the speakers don't have a questionable history of use/abuse and are only potentially cosmetically damaged.

I would like to think that there wouldn't be any brand new £300 speakers that could beat the Castle's, even if it is widely aknowledged that £999 was a somwhat ambitious price point. Any thoughts on these assumptions of mine?

matthewpiano

I can't comment on the floorstanders but I did have a pair of Castle 1s for a while. They were very good. Certainly not of the boom and bust school of loudspeakers, with a refined and detailed sound.

The Knight series was originally launched in the UK as an exclusive to Audio T stores, but it didn't sell terribly well and the Castle brand never really took off again in this country. They've been sold off at end-of-line prices for a long time now including a long spell when Superfi seemed to have big stocks (now no longer available there).

abmscopes

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that matthewpiano. I must say I'm certainly hearing more positive views from people here and from the scarce reviews, than negative, though some people report a sound which is too laid-back and not particularly 'fast' in the bass. Hard to know whether that would appeal to me or not. I like smooth, but I also like detailed!*crazy*

Hmm, decision time approaches methinks; this may well be the last of these stocks. I suppose if I really don't like them, I could sell on for not that much less than £299, even used.. perhaps make back £200ish.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
abmscopes said:
I suppose what I would like to know (and I realise that this will be highly subjective) is, if I were to buy the Knight 5's, would this be amongst the best ways possible to spend £300 on a pair of non-pre-owned speakers? On ebay £300 can get you a great deal of 2nd hand speaker, many of which quite possibly cost well over £1000 when new, but with this offer the speakers don't have a questionable history of use/abuse and are only potentially cosmetically damaged.

I would like to think that there wouldn't be any brand new £300 speakers that could beat the Castle's, even if it is widely aknowledged that £999 was a somwhat ambitious price point. Any thoughts on these assumptions of mine?

Anyone have the Q Acoustics Q2050i Speakers? They are only £280 new. Free delivery.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Can't comment on the Castle Knights. But I read that the 2's were quite good and look nice IMO.

Good choice BigH. Also theres the Wharfedale Diamond 155's, I've seen at £250 - apart from the finish they had good reviews.

record_spot

I auditioned the Knight 1, alongside several in 2011 and was very impressed with it. I eventually bought the Tannoy DC4 which I still have have but it was a very close thing between those and the Castles.

Hi Fi World was very enthusiastic about the then new range and rated it well.

I would suggest if you do buy that you'll have no hassles exercising your right to return within 14 days (you have to take reasonable care if the speakers and the return costs are yours). Check with the retailer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts