Bye bye Arros, hello Chromium 8s

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Was in WHS last Sunday where I occasionally thumb through a Hi Fi mag. Bought Hi Fi Choice to fully read a review of Quadral's Chromium Style 8s - very good reviews are a starting point for shortlisting stuff. Although my Totem Arros are hugely entertaining, they lack bass heft. Rang around a few dealers I know of during the week but drew a blank. Rang Tony Sallis of Coherent Systems who had a pair to demo & some to sell, a friend took me over to Chalfont St Peter for a listen.

They are not tiny! They are beautifully made floor standers about 1.1m high with curving sides with two bass cones, a mid above with a ribbon tweeter near the top of the piano-black high-gloss cabinet but are fairly narrow. No spikes, they sit on attached plinths of the same profile. I took my Primare power amp & M-DAC, speaker cable, short XLRs and a handful of both classical to electronica discs. It took me about 5 seconds to clock that they were pretty exceptional. Tony did suggest that running my DAC straight into my power amp was a compromise that robbed the bass of some definition so will investigate the matching Primare Pre32 that would also allow for vinyl replay without converting to digital then back.

As for for SQ, the review was rather accurate: a very natural sound with no part of the very wide f range drawing attention. They do go deep, they have grunt when required but the treble is amazing with an even distribution in a room without it beaming directionally. Where the Arros are entertaining, these Quadrals are absorbing! They image extremely well as do the Arros but underpin most of my listening with rather tight tuneful bass. Other aspects worth mentioning is that their sonics don't change with volume so they sound good at low volume but can go ridiculously loud, really loud! They are only polite when the music is. Are fairly sensitive (89dB) nominally 8 Ohm that dips to 5 so are easy to drive. As for detail, they are astonishing. They may have a daft name but there's nothing chromium about their sound! £1750 well spent!

Tony also demo'd these Quadrals with some rather high-end electronics - sometimes at ear-bleeding volume but they failed to show any real flaws. I don't think I've ever heard such flawless speakers under £10k. Mr Sallis did power up his TAD CR1s - even more flawless but a somewhat more than the Quadrals that were not disgraced by the comparison!

I had to change my Hi Fi Rack's position once home then powered them up. I can't stop grinning. Gone is the boom from certain recordings, they seem to be reasonably unfussy regarding positioning and sound amazing out of the box. They have two substantial posts near their base. I'm currently using them with the grills in place. As for the Arros, sold to the friend to go with his new MF M3si and M3CD. I apologise for feeling so damn smug!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, hello there Mr Smug.....glad you are still fighting the Good Audiophile fight, even if your Avatar seems to have spun through 90 degrees!

How do the Arros sound with your friend's MF?

Hope life is treating you well.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi CNO!

Andy is yet to collect them - probably next weekend. His Ruark Templars are 20 yrs old & maybe past their best. They have been in storage for ages so may improve with use. My SL6s sounded pretty dire for a couple of hours before coming back to life - my girlfriend now has them in her flat.

I'm listening to these Quadrals as I type & am trying to get my head around how speakers can have more treble than my last pair without sounding brighter. I did hear Quadrals at the Bristol Show a couple of years ago & made a mental note of them. I recently heard a pair of KEF Ref 3s but hated the sound of the beamy treble which surprised me - they may have been poorly positioned. I don't like listening to music with a wall behind my head for starters! Gloss black looks fab when clean but sunlight shows every speck & fingerprint! I'm trying not to spend too much on stereo, I want to get my flat rewired soon but my central heating is fixed as is my roof last year.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It is strange that you found the Ref 3s to have a beamy treble, as the Uni-Q system should ensure the opposite. What was the rest of the system?

The feedback on the New Refs from folks on here, has been mixed....from hugely enjoyable, to "clinical and hifi sounding".

I have heard them sounding sublime and also a bit bright and nasty (probably caused by a source that was being shown up). Personally, I think they are very revealing of the rest of the system and need careful set up.

I remember Quadrals from a few years ago at Bristol too. Very nice sound indeed, though I wondered if they had erratic distribution over here. I think they were at the recent show too, but I didn't get to hear them this time. The ribbon tweeter was superb

Nice choice!

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised with the KEFs for the reason you mention CNO but was very underwhelmed but I find most Hi Fi demos disappointing. As soon as I see the settee against the rear wall, my expectations are going to be low!

The Brit buyers are very conservative NP (I've been told) so it's more work than all but the most enthusiastic importers are willing to put in. The Totem distributors are not even in the UK but the Arros are are being advertised again for £1299.

TRENDING THREADS