cartridge

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
i have a hum on 1 channel i have traced the source of it and it would appear its the cartridge which is audio technica 120.i proved this by re installing an old linn k5 now no hum.my question is stick with hum.use the linn or buy new cartridge or wait for rega p 3 as my turntable is now 30 years old rega planner 2.also if its cartridge change which one.i read some cartridges do hum find that hard to believe.

jordanfx said:
i have a hum on 1 channel i have traced the source of it and it would appear its the cartridge which is audio technica 120.i proved this by re installing an old linn k5 now no hum.my question is stick with hum.use the linn or buy new cartridge or wait for rega p 3 as my turntable is now 30 years old rega planner 2.also if its cartridge change which one.i read some cartridges do hum find that hard to believe.

Cartridges should not hum. Any hum in a system is normally an unearthing problem and can normally be rectified. As a matter of interest what amplifier are you using?

If you plan to get a P3 in the near future I would continue to use the K5.

What would your budget be for a new cartridge? I don't know if the new P3 will come pre-fitted with a cartridge or not so you should aim for something good.

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
the fault is deffentally with the cartridge as i have tried every combination swaps on hi fi as i said the linn when connected has no hum at all.and the p3 comes with elys 2 cartidge. would spend upto about £120 on new cartridge.

jordanfx said:
the fault is deffentally with the cartridge as i have tried every combination swaps on hi fi as i said the linn when connected has no hum at all.and the p3 comes with elys 2 cartidge. would spend upto about £120 on new cartridge.

In that case I would be looking at the AudioTechnica AT440 MLB and then try to get the P3 without a cartridge.

Al ears said:
jordanfx said:
just seen grado prestige 1 red moving magnet cartridge 50% off £169 now £84 any good?

I have not heard that particular Grado but that's a good price and, by all accounts, it is a good all rounder.
I use the cheaper Black 1, and it has a very easy going nature. Ironically, due to modest shielding, they are known to be sensitive to hum. Grado have been making cartridges for decades and they have a fine reputation, but these days their headphones are better known.

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
still not sure what cartridge to buy but the goldring 1006 looks good as well as the at440mlb any thoughts on best.will be running through rega mm into pioneer a50 amp into monitor audio silver 6. music rock/metal.

jordanfx said:
still not sure what cartridge to buy but the goldring 1006 looks good as well as the at440mlb any thoughts on best.will be running through rega mm into pioneer a50 amp into monitor audio silver 6. music rock/metal.

I'd go for the at440, it has the better stylus, but having said that I haven't heard that Goldring.

TrevC

jordanfx said:

If the sound is otherwise OK try moving the arm. Does the hum vary? It could be induced hum from nearby equipment if it does. I had to move my amplifier to fix it on my system.

jordanfx said:
another cartridge contender what about ortofom 2m blue seen it for a good price.
I believe it would require an arm height adjustment on the Rega. I suggest you consult the dealer you are getting the turntable from. The package with a discounted cartridge is usually a good place to begin, though like Al I've heard that not everyone loves that Rega cartridge. The Ortofons divide opinions too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts