linn k5

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
I have a new rega rp3 with the elys 2 cartridge which sounds great but have a Linn K5 cartridge from my old rega deck and was wondering if it would be a better cartridge or stick with the elys.
Andy

bigfish786

Jan 29, 2013
The K5 is a very decent budget cart, but would probably just be a little different in presentation rather than better/worse.
It’s only a five min job swapping them out. Why not give it a try?
Nothing to lose.
If you want a decent budget upgrade, try the goldring E3.

Reactions: andybebbs
The K5 is a very decent budget cart, but would probably just be a little different in presentation rather than better/worse.
It’s only a five min job swapping them out. Why not give it a try?
Nothing to lose.
If you want a decent budget upgrade, try the goldring E3.
To give it's best it may not be a five minute job as likely the VTA will need adjustment.
The K5 is probably quite elderly.

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
yes had the K5 many years and did`nt think it would be worth the effort so will look to upgrade when i have the cash, the elys 2 is ok for now.

bigfish786

Jan 29, 2013
If you are a little adventurous, you can have a bit of fun with that K5 . Add a wood body from eBay and a decent AT stylus, and you have a very capable cartridge for not much money.

Reactions: Al ears
If you are a little adventurous, you can have a bit of fun with that K5 . Add a wood body from eBay and a decent AT stylus, and you have a very capable cartridge for not much money.
Would the sound be worth the outlay? Might be worth a try if the K5 is in half decent nick.
come to think of it I have an old K9 kicking around somewhere......

Last edited:

bigfish786

Jan 29, 2013
So....
After a few bids on Linn K5 and K9 were unsuccessful, I managed to bag a K18 for a decent enough price.
I’m going to try out a stylus transplant to see how it performs.
I already have an atn95ex stylus and an older atn95e that I can try.
I will update, or start a new thread once completed. 👍

So....
After a few bids on Linn K5 and K9 were unsuccessful, I managed to bag a K18 for a decent enough price.
I’m going to try out a stylus transplant to see how it performs.
I already have an atn95ex stylus and an older atn95e that I can try.
I will update, or start a new thread once completed. 👍
why transplant and not use the cartridge as a whole?

bigfish786

Jan 29, 2013
Sorry, I appear to have left some vital info out there.
The k18 has a broken cantilever, but the stylus body (plastic bit) that bolts on is still there.
My intention is to mount a stylus and with a bit of cut and glueing retain the original plastic.
This may/not work, but I need to test it first to make sure it functions.
It may end up a bit of a frankencartridge, but it’s just a bit of fun, and an experiment to keep me occupied.

Reactions: Al ears

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS