andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
I have a new rega rp3 with the elys 2 cartridge which sounds great but have a Linn K5 cartridge from my old rega deck and was wondering if it would be a better cartridge or stick with the elys.
Andy

The K5 is a very decent budget cart, but would probably just be a little different in presentation rather than better/worse.
It’s only a five min job swapping them out. Why not give it a try?
Nothing to lose.
If you want a decent budget upgrade, try the goldring E3.

Reactions: andybebbs
The K5 is a very decent budget cart, but would probably just be a little different in presentation rather than better/worse.
It’s only a five min job swapping them out. Why not give it a try?
Nothing to lose.
If you want a decent budget upgrade, try the goldring E3.
To give it's best it may not be a five minute job as likely the VTA will need adjustment.
The K5 is probably quite elderly.

If you are a little adventurous, you can have a bit of fun with that K5 . Add a wood body from eBay and a decent AT stylus, and you have a very capable cartridge for not much money.

Reactions: Al ears
If you are a little adventurous, you can have a bit of fun with that K5 . Add a wood body from eBay and a decent AT stylus, and you have a very capable cartridge for not much money.
Would the sound be worth the outlay? Might be worth a try if the K5 is in half decent nick.
come to think of it I have an old K9 kicking around somewhere......

Last edited:
So....
After a few bids on Linn K5 and K9 were unsuccessful, I managed to bag a K18 for a decent enough price.
I’m going to try out a stylus transplant to see how it performs.
I already have an atn95ex stylus and an older atn95e that I can try.
I will update, or start a new thread once completed. 👍

So....
After a few bids on Linn K5 and K9 were unsuccessful, I managed to bag a K18 for a decent enough price.
I’m going to try out a stylus transplant to see how it performs.
I already have an atn95ex stylus and an older atn95e that I can try.
I will update, or start a new thread once completed. 👍
why transplant and not use the cartridge as a whole?

Sorry, I appear to have left some vital info out there.
The k18 has a broken cantilever, but the stylus body (plastic bit) that bolts on is still there.
My intention is to mount a stylus and with a bit of cut and glueing retain the original plastic.
This may/not work, but I need to test it first to make sure it functions.
It may end up a bit of a frankencartridge, but it’s just a bit of fun, and an experiment to keep me occupied.

Reactions: Al ears

OskuK

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
That Linn k5 is AT 95, the old version, and that mentioned Goldring E3 is same too. So if like that soundstage what AT brings, 540ML or that newer version of 95; VM95ML, those are real upgrades of the Linn...

OskuK

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
I bet that too, but for someone who does not know, that gettin 2 same carts is not actually an uppgrade ;-) BTW it was "2021" -so not that ancient...nothing in my music set is this new...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts