Cartridge for Thorens

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently bought a Thorens TD 160 for my, admittedly budget, hi fi set up. It came with a Micro Seiki VF 3200 cartridge. Sounds really good, but I wanted to change the stylus just to be safe. Problem is, that won't be cheap, or easy. So my question: is this cartridge worth it? Or would an affordable cartridge by, say, Ortofon or Grado be a wiser choice? Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

dont think youll find much in the way of styluses for your cartridge but it might be worth asking the question on vinylengine

personally im a big fan of grado but again check on vinylengine because theyre fussy about arms

grados sacrifice a touch of highend detail for a midrange which few others that ive heard equal and a rich bass whereas ortofon are more lively and less forgiving about bad pressings

A

Anonymous

Thanks one off. I've checked on vinylengine, and did find a replacement stylus. It'll cost me as much as something like a Grado prestige black. Judging on your description of Grado, that might just be what I'm looking for. I've been reading about cartridge alignment etc., since I'm relatively new to TT's, and think I can do that. Or is it harder than I think, and better left to a pro?

A

Anonymous

no its quite easy as long as you have the protractor can take a while though as it is a bit fiddly

the grados have parallel sides which makes them easier than some when it comes to lining them up

A

Anonymous

One off, definitely worth a try then. Grado it is. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts