can women apreciate hifi ?? and its properties

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. Women take a much more pragmatic approach to hifi, as they (usually) don't have such an obsessional nature....as a rule, they are more worried about the music and less worried about the tech specs and the need to pontificate on Hifi Forums (too busy listening to music). *smile*

BTW. Welcome to the forum.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I guess they just dont think women are interested, I for one welcome women to hi-fi, the more audiophiles the better, we share a passion for music and hi-fi.

thankyou Rhian xx

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, nice to see you.

I think they can but most dont seem that interested, my wife says it all sounds the same. There are very few ladies on here and hifi forums in general not sure what that tells us. But plenty on other forums like travel and photography so its not forums.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mrs DDC is not remotely interested in hi-fi, in fact she is really not that bothered about recorded music at all. She rarely if ever will put on music whilst in the home, even when I am out.

On the other hand, given the chance to hear and see some live music, she is most enthusiastic. Anything from opera at Covent Garden (or Aspendos) to bar room rock and roll, she is most definitely up for it.

Women eh.........*unknw*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It is due to gender roles within labor division in society. Civilization has the male gender preoccupied with farming, wars, governance and technology, and the female gender with offspring nurture, household labor and assist men with their labor. During industrialization of modern societies women have been added to factories to help with manufacturing, but this was to assist what was/is mainly male gender assigned economic sector. Society needed them to help in production but not diverge from their main social roles. Due to this women were paid less for the same unskilled or low skilled job compared to men in the same factory.

As a cumulative result, today women still attend less technical schools and subsequently are less involved in technology creation and innovation. Engineering is still a male stronghold today. Most women are alocated in the service industry (private or public sector), to assist men rule the world, because it is less physically demanding and leaves them time for their main societal roles. With or without men in the family, women continue to be assigned for offspring nurture, household labor and assist men with their labor.

So if the boys bother with technology, some of their everyday hobbies will revolve arround it. Girls are welcome, of course, but I don't see many of them rushing through the unlocked doors anytime soon.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Funny thing. Go look at hi-fi manufacturer factory tours or video ads. Most of the assembly personel is women. Now go and see the company ownership and engineers. All men, regardless of location in the world. Guess how many of those women assmbling your new Naim or Roksan amp actually own one for their own pleasure.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
women that have entered and ultimately continued on by, I've sadly yet to encounter any with more than a passing interest in the other aspects of the hobby bar the music. Even that, for the main is limited to what's instantly available on the car radio or background music whilst doing something else. The only other time their interest levels have peaked was when discussing the cost of the latest upgrade! I've found it to be unbenefical to force feed the topic but instead hope that a passing interest may one day take hold and grow into something a little more meaningful.

Edit; because I've just been told off by my 13 year old daughter! She states that she has a real interest in Hifi, boxes and all and has excellent taste in music too. (She has been brain washed from an early age by her dad though!) ;-)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Whilst I agree with your overall sociological/ demographic analysis I disagree with your conclusion re women not rushing through the doors. Science was targeted by the UK govt as an area of weakness re academic achievement and the quality of education/ knowledge of school leavers. Combine this with technological advances in computing etc and the need for a Science-savvy workforce is obvious: to this end, Science has become very sexy in schools ( I worked in one for 30+ years until I retired) with dramatic experiments in the classroom, field trips to Science museums and all related hands-on stuff. In my experience, girls have been keen to embrace this new marketing of Science and many go on to study Physics, Chemistry at university. The traditional balance that you outline is shifting rapidly; English, especially Lit, used to be girls' favourite subject but Science is now much more popular with many, if not all, girls. Expect a load of 'em in here soon with a knowledge and understanding that will leave Alan Shaw muttering into his cathode-ray oscilloscope.

There are a few, including a Ms Newsome, formerly with the mag but now with an importer/distributor, who still makes great contributions here. They are in the minority, however.

I recall a husband and wife team running the excellent Audio Destinations in Tiverton, and both are very knowledgeable and obliging.

Physically, women are rather better equipped in hearing capability, but far fewer are bothered by the minutiae of audio reproduction. I speculate they have a better imagination than us guys. I do know a few female performers (pianists and violinists) with very acute hearing, however.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
thanks for all comments guys. Rhian is my wife, she loves music and hi-fi

a few weeks ago we went to audio T our local dealer to replace our monitor audio BR5 (dAMAGED BY THE CAT ) we audiotioned a few speakers BX5 KEF B &W Ect,, we picked the Monitor Audio S1 in piano black..

Rhian helped me pick them she listened for the different dynamics the S1 had a better stereo image and timing than the others and she commented the sound more Coherent than the others

Woman can be audiophiles, Rhian has a passion for music and hi-fi

I guess im a lucky man

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

For a minute, when I saw the kisses on your first post, I thought you were hitting on her. Phew!!!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
I think women are great! *smile*

+1

IME women are generally much nicer people than men. I bet there would be far less problems with the world if they ruled.

With regards to the OP. Women seem just as interested in music as men but generally they're less obsessive and don't care so much about the sound quality so long as they can enjoy the emotional connection with the music.

I think women are generally more interested in the emotional side of life such as people and animals etc. Men are generally less emotional and prefer them more technical things like machines.

Welcome to the forum Rhian. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The_Lhc said:
Overdose said:
hybridauth_Facebook_1413429313 said:
why do men assume women cannot and will not appreciate the dynamic of a hifi system ??

Why do you assume this?

You missed the last thread on this subject then? It was like a series of outtakes from a bad 70s sitcom.

Love Thy Neighbour? *smile*

DorianThomas

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
To respond to the orginal question "Can women appreciate hifi and its properties" I would say yes based on my own experiences. My misses has been involved in all my hifi upgrades and has always provided valued input. I can even use today as an example on how she appreciated and provided valued input to the final decision.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My wife loves music, but if were up to her we we still had the NAD 3020 and my old MA B4.

It was only when i've bought the RP3 to replace the old Technics that she really got the upgrade picture, for her the RP3 was the love of her live, she played more vinyl then me...

If she didn't meet me she still had that old Sony cd player/cassette/radio that she bought when had only 17...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DorianThomas said:
To respond to the orginal question "Can women appreciate hifi and its properties" I would say yes based on my own experiences. My misses has been involved in all my hifi upgrades and has always provided valued input. I can even use today as an example on how she appreciated and provided valued input to the final decision.

My wife do the same, but she just goes along, they are not in the driver seat, we are...

How many times she said to you that you need to upgrade the speakers or the amp?

But in the end they do apreciate, or is just me that want to belive thats true...*pardon*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts