Can this be true...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
To people who think amps sound the same, with a bit of notice I can still get access to my old JVC AX440 that I bought out of my mum's mail order catalogue back in the 80s when I was desparate for something cheap with an MC input. One listen to that amp will change your mind.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Have a look at some of the above posts. I wouldn't wish to rehash what I and others have said, but abacus has made the point succinctly.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Romulus said:
I say a big hooray with relief that HiFi can sound different. Our tastes are different and subjective, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder the sonic sound of HiFi is to the beholder of ones ears. HiFi brands understand this which helps to sell their products. So what if to some thinkers regard 'valve sound' and Vinyl sound' is a form of distortion. Some super hi end gazzillion pounds HiFi can be transparent with expressive treble to the point of producing annoying sibilance in the vocals, I never heard sibilance live shows so why should I suffer in private? If all amplifiers were exactly neutral and sounding the same (which they don't) what a boring hobby of listening to music would be (unless its to your taste..?). Viva la difference! Naim/Audio Research ATC/Sonus Faber etc.....

Indeed.

As an aside most good gigs I attend probably sound like Naim.

Make of that what you will. :)

Agreed 100% (inmho of course) - I have heard a number of different amps and heard dfferences. As previously mentioned - a powerful amp really helps - lower powered ones will clip and sound strained at higher volumes. I have a Naim Unitilite which I enjoy more than a very powerful Cambridge 120 Watter (840 v2) Contradicting myself I know!!

cheers tonky

rainsoothe

tonky said:
drummerman said:
Romulus said:
I say a big hooray with relief that HiFi can sound different. Our tastes are different and subjective, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder the sonic sound of HiFi is to the beholder of ones ears. HiFi brands understand this which helps to sell their products. So what if to some thinkers regard 'valve sound' and Vinyl sound' is a form of distortion. Some super hi end gazzillion pounds HiFi can be transparent with expressive treble to the point of producing annoying sibilance in the vocals, I never heard sibilance live shows so why should I suffer in private? If all amplifiers were exactly neutral and sounding the same (which they don't) what a boring hobby of listening to music would be (unless its to your taste..?). Viva la difference! Naim/Audio Research ATC/Sonus Faber etc.....

Indeed.

Agreed 100% (inmho of course) - I have heard a number of different amps and heard dfferences. As previously mentioned - a powerful amp really helps - lower powered ones will clip and sound strained at higher volumes. I have a Naim Unitilite which I enjoy more than a very powerful Cambridge 120 Watter (840 v2) Contradicting myself I know!!

cheers tonky

Well that's only 'cause Naim is awesome, and CA is not :))))

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
I'm from those peoples, that gained experience little by little. More and more. By trying, compairing, and try to understand the logic behind the things I tryed to understand. And the more I gained experience, the less I was focused about the "sound of amplifiers". As already written in this thread, for normal home use, for a good speaker that isn't asking for exhorbitantly low impendances nor highest peak of current ; a lot of amps, crafted honestly will work in the same way.

I'm, anyway, using a high end pre+power combi from accuphase. But not because I believe it will change the sound completely. But because I like japan, I like the peoples there, I like well made electronic and like sturdy things. I believe electronic can be a form of art. And in this case, it's electronic nearest to the word "art", as it can get.

I kind of agree. Which is why I like both my Devialet and my Unison Research S8 Valve Amp equally, although they definitely sound different to each other.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:
drummerman said:
Romulus said:

Indeed.

cheers tonky

Smaller powered Amps do not have a general tendency to clip at higher volumes. For example, my 24 watt Valve Amp can drive my Focals to party levels without any sign of distortion, strain or clipping. It's more to do with how easy the speakers are to drive with a given Amp.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
But valve amps - a different case compared to solid state ? - and your 24W Unison Research S8 - What a beast - would love to hear one!

cheers tonky

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:
But valve amps - a different case compared to solid state ? - and your 24W Unison Research S8 - What a beast - would love to hear one!

cheers tonky

I'm pretty sure that watts are watts wherever they're coming from, but you wouldn't think so when the S8 is cranked up.

I know there are a lot of naysayers where Valves are concerned, but the fact is, nothing sounds like a Valve Amp.

Where are you based Tonky?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
tonky said:

cheers tonky

I'm pretty sure that watts are watts wherever they're coming from, but you wouldn't think so when the S8 is cranked up.

I know there are a lot of naysayers where Valves are concerned, but the fact is, nothing sounds like a Valve Amp.

Where are you based Tonky?
Watts are watts but Valve amplifiers often clip far more gracefully.

Its not easy to hear on occasions and whilst in 'party mode' it may already be clipping substantially.

I am not a naysayer though, having owned a tube amplifier myself. The better ones are certainly lovely and as you say, 20 watts or so can go a long way. You certainly have the best of both worlds with your Devialet and are in the best possible position to give balanced advise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts