Can Speaker Stands Really Improve Brightness?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would be grateful for opinions on the best supports for my new Dali Lektor 2's

At present the only components not upgraded on my system are the speaker stands. I can fully understand how good stands will give added bass weight but I have read somewhere on WHF that some wooden stands would be good for bright sounding kit.

Can stands influence the top end as well as the bass...and bearing in mind any possible future upgrades to speakers where would the most sensible price point be?

I only have el cheapo Gale brand stands at the mo and they are pretty rubbish (but cheap)[:$]

A

Anonymous

Hi...Is there anyone in the clan who could advise about possible stands from their own experience?.

My upgrade journey has shown a move in the right direction (on the issue of brightness) with each step, so help on stands would be appreciated.

I know my stands have to be replaced anyway, but I read about certain stands being suited to bright kit? It is this aspect that puzzles me so opinions would be great
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

When I moved my Spendor SA1s from a pair of Apollo A6s to a pair of the dedicated wooden stands, the sound became warmer. Not only did they sound less bright but the bass sounded bigger too. It was a surprising outcome for me but I have no idea how well this applies to other speakers on other wooden stands.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
From my experience if you place your speaker stright onto the carpet or floor, the bass increases, but seems to reduces on stands so I'm not sure having different stands will change brightness much. You can play around with filling stands to different levels to see how it alters the bass. Also worth noting that speaker height has a large impact on the sound you hear. You can easily test this because if you sit on the floor and listen to the hi-fi when speakers are on stands you usually hear more bass but if you sit on the sofa (higher up) bass appears to be less. But then if you stand fully up bass can appear more again. It all depends on your room, where the tweeters and drive units are, distance from speakers, walls etc. You can buy stands of different heights so it is worth experimenting with your Lektor 2's to see which height you prefer them at in relation to your normal sitting position. Most stands are around 60cm.

I've used my Lektor 2 speakers with SoundStyle Z2 stands filled with atabites if that helps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input everyone
emotion-2.gif
As discussed the Dali's have given the best improvement (and when run in hoping for a bit more)

The slightly sus treble seems to show itself just when I think it's subsided. Part of a vocal is ok and the later on in the same song it shows itself.

At some point I know I will crack it
emotion-5.gif

It's hard to accept that having spent hundreds of pounds I'm hearing stuff which I shouldn't.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Try experimenting with different objects as stands to see what differences in sound you can detect.

Concrete blocks, cardboard boxes and dining or garden chairs for example, it should give you some idea of what to expect from some competent stands. Ultimately you want mass and rigidity in your stands. For stands with a difference, you could try some fancy garden plinths.....

http://www.internetgardener.co.uk/Products/932/Haddonstone-Plinths-and-Pedestals.aspx

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I picked up my new Dali Lektor 2's last October and I have them on Atacama Nexus 6 stands (60cm),spiked through carpet.Also the speakers are isolated from the stand and held firmly with Atacama gel pads. Stands are 2/3rds full with B&Q kiln dried sand. I think I've pretty much done everything to get the best out of the them and I'm very pleased with the sound.

Before the Dali's I spent a while experimenting with my Sony SS86E's and found that fully loading the stands did result in an incease in brightness.

Your Lektor's will improve with use and the treble should smooth out. I think the 640A is a good match but maybe brighter then the Rotel. Prehaps copper cables? Not sure how much difference this would make though.

CA Azur 640C / Rotel RA-01 / Dali Lektor 2 / Atacama Nexus 6 / QED Quenex 1 / QED Silv. Ann XT

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the extra suggestion...extra solid bases as experiments defo works on the base and hoping the Dali's have an extra bit of smoothness on the treble to pull....
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

A few years back i made a pair of speaker stands for a friend who is a furniture maker. I think the wood he gave me was Purple Heart. Very tight grain and when polished looked the part, very different to standard finished stands. The stands floated on top of granite bases, the granite base had 3 solid stainless steel magnetised circular rods fitted into them that were about 12 inches in height, this let the bottom of the wooden stands which had stainless steel collars fitted inside with ball bearinged walls slide down onto the rods until the magnets resisted any more weight. The stands seemed to float on their mountings. Don,t know how they made the speakers sound but he was tickled pink.

noddy1977

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi I am using floor standers and opted to get some torlyte plats made up to place under my 704's it was amazing the sound transfermation, they have an airy open sound and really tuneful bass and when they drop into sub bass territory they can give my M+K v850 a run for its money and yet it all stays together without getting messy.

Alittle more on your OP I used Atacama nexus 6 and tried various amonts of atabites and yes it made a couple of different speakers sound brite and dull sounding so i would recommend wooden stands, the torlyte range from Russ Andrews works well although expensive I doubt you will ever change to anything else unless you went to floor standers

Hope this help

noddy1977

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Overdose:

Try experimenting with different objects as stands to see what differences in sound you can detect.

Concrete blocks, cardboard boxes and dining or garden chairs for example, it should give you some idea of what to expect from some competent stands. Ultimately you want mass and rigidity in your stands. For stands with a difference, you could try some fancy garden plinths.....

http://www.internetgardener.co.uk/Products/932/Haddonstone-Plinths-and-Pedestals.aspx

Hi some good suggestions but low mass works better with a high Q factor that is similar to an actual instrument, could you imagine a metal concrete guitar :s

Wood offers a high Q factor ideal for stand mount speakers, my friend has made her own and they sound more natural and open when compared to my unused Nexus 6's bass is definately more tuneful and you can really place the singer and location of each instrument, hope you try this for yourself... 60 cm 4x4 and suitable top and bottom with 3 oak cone feet on the top plate and either cones or spikes on the bottom to suit carpet or wooden floor

A

Anonymous

Nice piccies philbub..and thanks to everyone for further input
emotion-21.gif

The Torlyte products are well out of my league but interesting nonetheless...It's taken a long time to get close to the sound quality I was looking for....so I have high expectations of quality stands adding the final bit.

I was not able to get my head around this brightness thing and was very disappointed when the recommended 9.1's didn't do it for me. I started to convince myself that it was something I had to suffer because it was budget kit and I was being too picky. Then I felt a whole lot better after hearing some decent Cyrus kit with Focal floorstanders producing the same sharp treble on occasions!! So it was obvious to me that brightness is not only based on the cost of the kit.

Now I am starting to think maybe EB1's KEF etc what would they bring to me with better front end kit
emotion-40.gif

One day but in the meantime the Dali's are without doubt a bit special and getting better
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts