Question Can I fit a centre channel speaker with my current amp set up?

Smaltendo

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
My current set up - is Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelves, bi-wired in to a Marantz PM5005 amp.

I want to - add a Monitor Audio bronze C150 centre channel to this, but I don't know enough to know whether it'd all work.

I'd not bi-wire the bookshelves to make the space for the center channel on the amp?
Is that doable, would the amp support the power of it?

Many sorry for noob questions, many thanks for any help.

M

Tinman1952

My current set up - is Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelves, bi-wired in to a Marantz PM5005 amp.

I want to - add a Monitor Audio bronze C150 centre channel to this, but I don't know enough to know whether it'd all work.

I'd not bi-wire the bookshelves to make the space for the center channel on the amp?
Is that doable, would the amp support the power of it?

Many sorry for noob questions, many thanks for any help.

M
Why do you want to add a centre channel for two channel music? What is it you think you are missing? 🙂
A separate centre channel is for multi channel music...like on SACD or home cinema. You gain nothing on stereo music. You would need an AV receiver to do multi channel...and that would mean surround speakers also.

Smaltendo

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
Why do you want to add a centre channel for two channel music? What is it you think you are missing? 🙂
A separate centre channel is for multi channel music...like on SACD or home cinema. You gain nothing on stereo music. You would need an AV receiver to do multi channel...and that would mean surround speakers also.
It would purely for home cinema upgrade purposes, not music listening. Would it be a negligible addition then if I didn't have the other surrounding speakers? (It'd be working towards that one day, just my current room layout wouldn't support rear speakers or a sub).

Tinman1952

It would purely for home cinema upgrade purposes, not music listening. Would it be a negligible addition then if I didn't have the other surrounding speakers? (It'd be working towards that one day, just my current room layout wouldn't support rear speakers or a sub).
Then you really need an AV receiver in my opinion. Personally I would rather add two rear surrounds to two front stereo speakers than a centre. Pentatone used to master 4 channel recordings like this many years ago. Centre speaker is not really needed for a good stereo system as it creates its own 'phantom' centre in effect with good imaging.

Smaltendo

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
Then you really need an AV receiver in my opinion. Personally I would rather add two rear surrounds to two front stereo speakers than a centre. Pentatone used to master 4 channel recordings like this many years ago. Centre speaker is not really needed for a good stereo system as it creates its own 'phantom' centre in effect with good imaging.

Okay thank you, this was very insightful

Reactions: nads and Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Much of a film's output, particularly dialogue, is from the centre channel. I'd opt for that above adding surround if space means you have to do one or the other.
You are right about the centre channel containing much of the film's output but if you tell your receiver you do not have a centre speaker then surely it will split the sound between the front left and right channels? Without rear surrounds then you are not getting a 'home cinema' experience...so you might just as well stick to stereo....🙂

A stereo amp can’t support a centre speaker. Central images are ’phantom’ images created between the two speakers. stereo Is fine for music, but if you want cinema sound, then an AV amp is the solution. Marantz make some, as do many others. Reviews here..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts