Can anyone recommend a good vinyl record cleaner?

Cyberrich57!!

Nov 14, 2022
Visit site
I'd like to buy a record cleaner but I'm wondering what your experiences have been. My vinyl collection is pretty clean but some need a light clean to eradicate dust and particles that have built up in the grooves. A couple of albums skipped today and when I gently wiped them with a cloth they played ok again. I'm not sure my vinyl is bad enough to be immersed in anything, and I'm not sure I'd be too happy doing that, but I used to have a hand held velvet brush that didn't seem too bad. What do you all use? Any recommendations? Thanks.

I have a Knosti Disco Antistat but it is a fluid based cleaning system, also a carbon fibre bush if its simply dust.
Depends on your budget really.
Note: without wet cleaning it is impossible to clean even new discs thoroughly.....

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i´m also tryting to find a good record cleaner but yet to find a real good one ,the best i could see was the combination of two wich are expensive, the project cleaner (maybe the only thing they built that is almost good) and a ultrasonic cleaner ,wich is good but not perfect and expensive

camcroft

I think that it's all down to the condition of the record in the first place. I have a friend that has the Project machine and an ultrasonic machine he says on their own they both do different things but he uses both together in his cleaning procedure and says anything that doesn't get cleaned that way is on it's way to the charity shop so it just goes to show nothing will bring back life to a record that is in bad condition.

Reactions: spl84 and Rui

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I think you´ve refered to that earlier or at least i read it anywhere but my opinion too .Also in my country there were people still in the 80´s using old type needle that destroy´s vinil sound in one passage ,other is thinking that the needle that came with the turntable in 76 or 79 is still good in late 90´s ,that´s why 2nd hand records in portugal are a gamble ,one could find a good record and also win the euromillions or the lottery, it´s as easy as finding a good 2nd hand record, so cleaning is if one finds good but dirty records and other exceptions. I ordered a 2nd hand doble lp live, from germany released in mid 80´s and it sounds better than today´s new vinil

Crusoe

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
I'd like to buy a record cleaner but I'm wondering what your experiences have been. My vinyl collection is pretty clean but some need a light clean to eradicate dust and particles that have built up in the grooves. A couple of albums skipped today and when I gently wiped them with a cloth they played ok again. I'm not sure my vinyl is bad enough to be immersed in anything, and I'm not sure I'd be too happy doing that, but I used to have a hand held velvet brush that didn't seem too bad. What do you all use? Any recommendations? Thanks.
Please do not use any commercial record cleaner. Use double distilled water or medical grade water and a very fine microfibre cloth. Hold the record properly and pass the dry fibre cloth along the outer edge in the clockwise direction going upto the last song. Both sides. Now moisten another small piece, and do the same, in such a way that you feel mild groove resistance. In the end use the moist cloth to wipe the centre label and outer jacket to clean it. This will prevent the cover dust from travelling to the record by your hand. The first song touches the fingers more and is more dirty. Discard both the pieces of cloth and use fresh. Microfibre cloth of good quality and very thin is a must.
If you do it properly, you will not hear a squeak!

camcroft

Please do not use any commercial record cleaner. Use double distilled water or medical grade water and a very fine microfibre cloth. Hold the record properly and pass the dry fibre cloth along the outer edge in the clockwise direction going upto the last song. Both sides. Now moisten another small piece, and do the same, in such a way that you feel mild groove resistance. In the end use the moist cloth to wipe the centre label and outer jacket to clean it. This will prevent the cover dust from travelling to the record by your hand. The first song touches the fingers more and is more dirty. Discard both the pieces of cloth and use fresh. Microfibre cloth of good quality and very thin is a must.
If you do it properly, you will not hear a squeak!
you will not hear a squeak!...You will if it's a worn record! Anyone who knows how to handle a vinyl record would never touch the surface with his fingers.

Last edited:

Crusoe

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Anyone who suggests using any water near the central label is best ignored, in my opinion.
Ah? So what is sacrosanct about the area near the label? And most using a turntable know how to hold a record. But over repeated playings of a record you are bound to touch it inadvertantly and these are places which get the most groove jumping problems. Commercial record cleaners do not say what they are using . Anything which leaves a residue after drying is bad for the record.

Ah? So what is sacrosanct about the area near the label? And most using a turntable know how to hold a record. But over repeated playings of a record you are bound to touch it inadvertantly and these are places which get the most groove jumping problems. Commercial record cleaners do not say what they are using . Anything which leaves a residue after drying is bad for the record.
I am not disagreeing with you I simply suggest you don't get water anywhere near the labels as they be damaged . There should be no need to clean a paper label....

Reactions: spl84 and Cinjun

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I use an Ultrasonic bath with a motor kit to rotate two albums at once.
Got the kit off ebay.
Ignore the poster who is telling you to avoid record cleaning machines.

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I use the knosti cleaner also,but don't use their fluid. I use a solution of distilled water with a few drops of Finish dishwasher fluid. Does a superb job ,never had any residue issues, I buy quite a lot of second hand records and they clean a treat. There will be those who frown but it works fine for me and costs very little. Static is completely erradicated.

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
You could always build your own.
I posted these on the original forum some years ago. Built from car boot bargains and bits and bobs lying around.

It cost peanuts.
Now I clean using my ultrasonic and use the one I built just to vacuum off at the end.

Images of my RCM

Vinyl-tom

Feb 26, 2023
Visit site

Hello,

first off, i am from germany, my english may sound not right everytime but i keep learning.
Well, what i can recommend is this one: https://www.knosti.de/shop/en
The Disco Antistat with the cleaning solution did it for me. This is not advertising.
I first started with a sponge, some detergent fromthe kitchen and clean clothes. But it was a hassle, cleaning every record by this method, i put them on a towel to dry...
What i have experienced with the cleaning solution and the machine is that the brushes inside the bath really scrub the dirt away and i have very less statics.
But well, it depends what you want or can spent on such gear and how often do you need to clean.
I have seen overpriced and huge machinery that does the job automatically or have such things like little vacuum cleaners to dry faster and remove every little residue.
What i want to try next is to uprade my Disco Antistat with ultrasonic, therefore i want to install the oscitllating head from an old cleaner into that housing, what i have read is ultrasonic cleaning of record the best you can do.
Ready to use machines are on the market, but i like to build it myself.
Hope this helps for your decision.
Cheers, tom

Fergus

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
I have that stuff but it doesn't deep clean the record it just works topically. I have tried it on difficult records using a Goats hair brush prior to cleaning in my Spin Clean.
I found if you let the liquid sit on the surface for a while it cleans well with the towels provided which you can press on quite hard

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts