Cambridge Audio CXN vs 851N (why no love or review for the 851N)

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I see the CXN has just won the best streamer. My Quad 909 is on its way back from interstate after being serviced/upgraded by dada electronics. I have no pre-amp at the moment and was heavily thinking about buying the 851N but it doesn't seem to get a lot of love and there is not that much info out there, the price difference here in Australia is about $1000, I'm now wondering if it really is worth it or should I just get the CXN? It is a nice looking machine (not that the QUAD is a looker). To be honest my wife and I listen to mainly top 40 type music with some ballads etc, I wonder if I really need to spend to get the additional money to get additional detail out of the music....maybe I have just answered my own question?

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I was undecided between the two and bought the CXN. After a week at home, I regretted my choice and fortunately in the UK could return it for exchange for an 851N. I'll be honest, the difference in sound quality is negligible, to my ears anyway. However the things I liked about the 851N is that it has an amp power button on the remote (CXN doesn't), the screen is much bigger despite the specs suggesting they are the same, and the operating system is much more responsive, probably because of a faster processor. Not audiophile considerations, admittedly, but real world ones, certainly.

Ive read a few magazine reviews in the UK for the 851N and they have all been very positive but equally so for the CXN. I would say they probably represent identical value for money. Good luck.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hey splasher,

Thanks for that I guess those are all decent considerations, a couple of things I have read is the difference is more noticable in higher quality recordings as well. Unfortunately cannot test where I live. The Cyrus XA is listed around the same price in the UK but is actually around $700 more here and that takes me over budget, the 851N seems to be the only streamer at my price limit, the Linn Sneaky, Bryston, Cyrus, Naim etc etc are all over the 3K mark.

Regards

Darryn

Obagleyfreer

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I've had the 851N for a few months now, and I must say, it's a great streamer!

I upgraded from the Stream Magic 6 V2.

Sonically there isn't a huge amount of difference, but the inputs, screen and remote make this a good upgrade for me.

I have mine hooked up in digital pre amp mode straight to a power amp and it sounds great.

Get the 851N, you wont be dissapointed by it's performance or looks.

TRENDING THREADS