Question Cambridge Audio 851A&851N vs EVO150

manicm

The EVO 150 looks very nice but it is a ‘lifestyle’ product. I read a report by a Cambridge Audio executive who said the CXN streamer and CX amplifier range would sound better….so I am pretty sure the 851A and 851N will sound much better still !

CA, to their eternal shame IMO, don't want to explore class D amps in their standalone amplifiers. Personally I think the successors to the current CX amplifiers should be class D. Soundwise they can stand shoulder to shoulder to A/B amps, and they can make new models slimmer and more attractive.

ti33er

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
I tend to disagree, that EVO150 is not just Lifestyle …I compared it directly to the EDGE-NQ/W and the EDGE, I’d say tentatively had ‘the edge’ ….but it was just a bit more heft in the bass and overall sounded pretty similar

ja_kub_sz

May 26, 2021
Visit site
I would probably bet against the EVO over what you have combined.

I'm absolutely floored by how good the Azur line is.

I have the Gustard X26 Pro DAC -> 851a -> 851w -> KEF LS50 Meta's and KUBE 12b

I thought getting a dedicated preamp would be a step up, boy am I wrong so far.

I just got the Rotel 1590MK2 ($2100 USD) thinking a dedicated preamp with XLR outs to my amp would be a sound improvement from the Azur 851a ($1500 USD) and unbalanced outs to my Azur 851w.

I'm shocked how good the 851a sounds over the Rotel, like incredibly surprised how dynamic, wide and colored the Azur 851a is over the dedicated higher priced Rotel. It's not even close so far. I'm gonna try unbalanced connections and see if that will do anything, but I can't say enough about the 851a (would assume the same for the 851n).

The Azur line of products are stellar in my opinion and I'm doubtful you'll find the EVO will give you what you already have. I'm gonna give this Rotel maybe another two weeks then I'm gonna send it back, but you can always give the EVO a try.

ja_kub_sz

May 26, 2021
Visit site
Again if there's any / downsides to running an integrated amplifier into a power amplifier I'm all ears, but I'm just scratching my head on this one.

Is the Rotel that bad, or the Cambridge audio that good?

As of right now I'm leaning towards the Cambridge audio being that good.

ti33er

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
I’ve always found that ROTEL is tuned lean/neutral …this is likely what you are hearing; it’s not my preferred sonic signature and always sold my ROTELs not too long after buying them the past twenty years of my Audio adventures

RicherSounds will let you trial the EVO150 at home, so why not …I thought it was very good and all-in-one units don’t mean they are inferior these days; technology has advanced

Reactions: ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

May 26, 2021
Visit site
I’ve always found that ROTEL is tuned lean/neutral …this is likely what you are hearing; it’s not my preferred sonic signature and always sold my ROTELs not too long after buying them the past twenty years of my Audio adventures

RicherSounds will let you trial the EVO150 at home, so why not …I thought it was very good and all-in-one units don’t mean they are inferior these days; technology has advanced

Any preamplifiers you recommend? I'm definitely a fan of Cambridge Audio Azur/Edge line as far as sound goes.

$2,500-4,500 Range:
Parasound Halo JC 2 BP
NAD M12
Anthem STR
(Used) McIntosh C49

ti33er

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
I think you will receive a lot of varied opinions on here with a question like that …I like CA, NAD, LINN and quite a few others - doesn’t your DAC do PreAmp (volume) functions though? There are tons of these Chinese DACs about these days that do Volume control like SMSL, Topping (check AudioScienceReview) so you can lower your box count :cool:

ja_kub_sz

May 26, 2021
Visit site
The all in one units are tempting, but I'm still enjoying the hunting and choosing of separate components.

The CA EVO 150 though I inherently like, but up against the CA 851a and 851n I feel like it would be too close to call.

Then again their price is essentially the same when compared, so if space and fewer boxes is a priority, then the EVO clearly would be the way to go.

I'm not quite there yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts