Cambridge Audio 840A with Proac or go AVI ADM 9.1?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I finally found some speakers both I and the wife like;

• Proac Studio 130 and Proac Response D15 floorstanders
  • AVI ADM 9.1

First question; would the Cambridge Audio 840A be a good match for the Proac's?

Second question; can AVI ADM's really replace a conventional AMP/Speaker combo?

My source will be an Mac Mini

Basically, I don't know what do to; go traditional and use a DAC/840A/Proac combination or spend half the money and go for the AVI ADM 9.1. I listen to all kind of music exept hard rock and hip hop (so base in not that important). The room is pretty large (8 * 6 meters with high ceilings). I love the ideas of the ADM's, but will it fill my room with good HiFi music?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pvanblarcum:

• AVI ADM 9.1

Basically, I don't know what do to; go traditional and use a DAC/840A/Proac combination or spend half the money and go for the AVI ADM 9.1. I listen to all kind of music exept hard rock and hip hop (so base in not that important). The room is pretty large (8 * 6 meters with high ceilings). I love the ideas of the ADM's, but will it fill my room with good HiFi music?

I don't know mych about the ADM 9.1 but those Proacs with the 840 will be great.

A

Anonymous

The ADMs will probably beg for a sub in a room that size. I would go for the D15s if it were me.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
pvanblarcum:

• AVI ADM 9.1

Had 'em both at home at the same time (different speakers with the CA's). As good as the Cambridge products are the AVI's surpassed them in number of areas and did so crucially, as you pointed out, at far less cost. Superb actives but add a small, fast sub. That way you have a dream system that shines with all genres and you can laugh all the way to the bank. People with very expensive Naim (and other) combinations switched over if you believe the statements and I personally know one person that had all sorts of well known high-end systems and would'nt go back.

They are extremely powerful, sound solid and crystal clear yet utterly refined. You should'nt have a problem in your room even at high, realistic volume.

One of my previous systems included cyrus components and Studio 110's. I'd be hesitant to use the CA's with ProAc Studios and have a feeling it may well end up sounding to mechanical/clinical but I might be wrong.

A

Anonymous

I traded a c. 6k GBP system for my ADM 9's as I relocated abroad and decided to use an iMac as my primary source.

My previous system was a Cyrus transport and DAC-X front end, Bel Canto amplification and Dynaudio speakers. The ADM 9's are better in every respect apart from perhaps 40hz and below (but the ADM 9s are also much smaller than my previous Dyns so understandable). I think you'd agree that the above previous system would be generally accepted to be of better quality than the 840a + Proacs.

I now have better dynamics and imaging. Everything is so crisp. The active crossovers and hefty internal amps work wonders and allow near 'live' perfomance volumes without a hint of distortion.

And this is even before we get to the fact that there is a damn fine pre and top quality dac on board. I blind tested DAC-X into analogue vs on board DAC in the ADMs - I could not distinguish. I also checked versus the DAC Magic from CA - definite advantage to the ADM9s, I could tell it every time.

You must listen and then decide. It really is a lifestyle system. No boxes and great sound. However some may find it a touch sterile and also if you have a lot of bad recordings, these will really show them up THey lay everything bare, so bear that in mind.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the great feedback. I am trying to arrange an audition of ADM 9.1 this weekend somewhere around London. I already heard the 840A/C with Mezzo6, so I will then know how they compare. I will let you know.

Thanks again

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:
You must listen and then decide. It really is a lifestyle system. No boxes and great sound. However some may find it a touch sterile and also if you have a lot of bad recordings, these will really show them up THey lay everything bare, so bear that in mind.

Yes, they are revealing in the extreme but without the harshness that sometimes accompanies such stuff. Adding that sub makes the usual difference, nicely balancing everything including the phenomenal treble/tweeter, giving a tad more body, solidity and warmth to midrange and adding more scale, in essence making it a full range system. They are, as you said, no difference in that respect to most small monitors, most of which benefit from a good sub in my experience but I am personally a 'newcomer' to the idea of 2.1. Shame as I have missed quite a bit in the past going on present experience.

This afternoon I popped into my local hifi shop. My mate had a 10k naim system on sale comprising multiple boxes with the usual power supplies etc. This was connected to Dynaudio Floorstanders. Now I don't want to slay the brand per se but I scratched my head when I listened to a few tracks. Why anyone would spend that money for the sound they made is quite honestly beyond me but hifi is such a subjective thing, people do like naim and we all hear different things so fair play.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Have you got your 9.1s yet DM?

No! There's always something that side-tracks me. Just finished decorating my lounge in european minimalist style to do justice to my tv
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:People with very expensive Naim (and other) combinations switched over if you believe the statements and I personally know one person that had all sorts of well known high-end systems and would'nt go back.

They are extremely powerful, sound solid and crystal clear yet utterly refined. You should'nt have a problem in your room even at high, realistic volume.

While I believe you, I compared the AVI ADM 9.1 to a Naim system with SBLs and thought the Naim/SBLs comfortably outperformed the ADMs, making them sound rather boxy in comparison.

I recommend making your own comparisons.

Tim

T

the record spot

Can't answer your first question beyond saying that they might but you probably need to have a good listen to the pair together to know for sure. Ideally for a good long time.

Can the AVI stuff replace existing kit, yes. In the same way that for convenience sake, an all in one system can reduce space, or a CDP can replace a turntable.

You get a good Wolfson DAC, a pre-amp, two power amps and a good quality speaker in one package. The power amps are 250watts for the bass driver, the pre-amps about 75w for the tweeter. They'll set you back about £1500. Listen to them and see what you think.

There's a lot of talk about people flogging off £5k systems and the like. Fair enough, some of that is hype, some of it might be true (particularly if you previously owned AVI separates that did the same job).

In the end and as with all of this game, you can only decide by sitting down and listening. They're good, but so's my kit; some will scoff, others will be open minded enough to know there's enough room for both types of kit.

Oh, if you are thinking about going down the active speaker route, you owe it to yourself to listen to as many as you can - seek out Acoustic Energy's AE22 Active, circa £900. No DAC, no pre-amp, but a fine speaker for the money nonetheless.

A

Anonymous

That Naim/sbl system costs a lot more! my lounge is 35'x14' and the 9.1's can fill it very well at high levels but a sub is a good idea for rock and movie's. I was playing Chris Rea's Burning feet today and that has a deep bass,it sounded fab!

A

Anonymous

Nick21:That Naim/sbl system costs a lot more!

Absolutely; I just think it's important to be realistic and not suppose that that the ADMs will outperform anything you care to Naim :)

I haven't heard the AVI sub but found that at high levels a REL sub was a very worthwhile improvement. At low levels I'm less sure.

Tim

A

Anonymous

have not heard the AVI, but from what I have read, the AVI 9,1's are approx £1100 .... and lacks seriously in bass ...

then add the price of the subwoofer and you are then in a total different price bracket .... so check that out aswell

A

Anonymous

No they don't lack in bass at all. People often say the same about infinite baffle speakers but it's actually just accuracy over distortion.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
not completly true IMHO - they only go down to 60hz and there is a lot of music below that especially orch/pianos/drums ect

i think once you have listened to speakers that drop to 20hz you realise just how much your missing interms of sound and how the music physically feels

A

Anonymous

I have the smaller speaker, Neutron 5, and bass is ample.

My understanding was that speakers of a certain size will all produce about the same amount of bass. If one appears to have more bass than others of the same size then it may be at the cost of accuracy - i.e. "bass boost" feature, fist-sized rear port, etc.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
from memory i think someone once posted on here an instrument chart (will try finding it) detailing their sound characteristics and the frequency they play at and was quite intresting reading!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Taylor74:

I have the smaller speaker, Neutron 5, and bass is ample.

My understanding was that speakers of a certain size will all produce about the same amount of bass. If one appears to have more bass than others of the same size then it may be at the cost of accuracy - i.e. "bass boost" feature, fist-sized rear port, etc.

bass is light - they're never going to pin you to a chair - nice sounding though

A

Anonymous

like I said .... have not heard the AVI, but have been reading forums .... from what I have read, some say they lack in bass and need the sub .... add that to the cost of £1100 and you are in a whole different territory

or some have said your ears need to 'adjust' to the new sound? ....

I like good bass, my ears are 'shot' and I go with the statement of 'you cannot teach old dogs new tricks' .... so suppose if I were ever to get a pair, I'd need the sub aswell

best is to audition before buying then decide for yourself

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
auditioning is sometimes the hardest thing to do as well as have been blown away by some speakers instantly as they sound amazing with vocals - prob to forward but instantly apealing but then when listened to them in depth started to grate and ended up hating them

you must demo with a wide variety of music and especially stuff you know well

A

Anonymous

All two-way standmount speakers play to around 60Hz or so. The issue isn't AVI-specific.

It depends on what music you listen, I suppose.

From the chart above a two-way standmount should be sufficient for a string quartet.

To get the full range of an entire orchestra either add a subwoofer or sell the speakers and buy a three-way design with a noticeably larger drive unit for the bass region.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts