Cambridge Audio 840A with Proac or go AVI ADM 9.1?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

That's an interesting chart. You get most of what you need down to 60Hz. It depends on what you listen to but it's too easy to get hung up on bass depth. When I auditioned the SA1s they sounded much deeper than the Proac Tablette Sig Ref 8s which boasted in the literature bass down to 38Hz. I'd take accurate bass down to 65Hz over 'assisted/porty' bass down to 30Hz any day. Just preference.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Taylor74:

All two-way standmount speakers play to around 60Hz or so. The issue isn't AVI-specific.

It depends on what music you listen, I suppose.

From the chart above a two-way standmount should be sufficient for a string quartet.

To get the full range of an entire orchestra either add a subwoofer or sell the speakers and buy a three-way design with a noticeably larger drive unit for the bass region.

never said it was down to avi - its actually down to speaker size and what is physically possible from a box of any size

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:
fChart.gif

that chart makes as much sense to me as this one

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:That's an interesting chart. You get most of what you need down to 60Hz. It depends on what you listen to but it's too easy to get hung up on bass depth. When I auditioned the SA1s they sounded much deeper than the Proac Tablette Sig Ref 8s which boasted in the literature bass down to 38Hz. I'd take accurate bass down to 65Hz over 'assisted/porty' bass down to 30Hz any day. Just preference.

again personal choice - i found the sa1s you have immediately entertaining and they are a great pair of speakers especially for accoustics and vocals but more i listened the more i felt they lacked but if only listened to female driven vocal accoustic driven music i would have prob have bought them

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
whatever is to the left on the chart below any given frequency you won't hear if your speakers can't output them and i also tend to find manufacturers are a little off normally in their specs by claiming they go a little lower than they do!

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:whatever is to the left on the chart below any given frequency you won't hear if your speakers can't output them and i also tend to find manufacturers are a little off normally in their specs by claiming they go a little lower than they do!
Add a decent sub, or two
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

lol if I could get away with bigger speakers then I would. Still, it was a surprising lesson to me about how much bass I need to be satisfied. When I decided to buy the SA1s I asked if I could see the tech spec. I was worried when I saw 75Hz at -3dB but then realised that I was happy until I saw the numbers! Hell, if money was no object I'd develop a system to go as low as possible!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
see i think thats a good point you get used to your system so you don't know what your missing cause you're that used to hearing how your system presents the music that on a quick audition you can notice differences but would prob take a long listen to decide which is better and not just different

Messiah

dim_span:
have not heard the AVI, but from what I have read, the AVI 9,1's are approx £1100 .... and lacks seriously in bass ...

then add the price of the subwoofer and you are then in a total different price bracket .... so check that out aswell

I wouldn't say they lack in bass anymore than any other standmount. However, as for any standmount I would advise to budget for a sub as I think this gives the best sound overall.

Just don't think that you have to go for the AVI sub. There are many cheaper options that will do a great job.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Any examples Messiah (and are they smaller)? I've just been fiddling with the EQ in WMP and noticed a lot more of the orchestration on some tracks by turning the bass frequencies up, but it very quickly became very obviously distorted.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
iggy, how good do you feel your sub is? do you think it keeps pace with your sa1's? i'm thinking of getting a demo sub in to see how one sounds in my system, the obvious choice would seem an atc c1 but it's just too big at 45 cm tall, whereas there's a couple of rel's and b+w's i can demo that are quite a bit smaller. can they go right up against a wall? seems like the people who have tried one, wouldn't go back.
emotion-40.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
wouldn't be without my sub - i think those that have had issues have failed to set them up properly in terms of both integration and volume or have bought a cheap sub that is both slow or can only output one note

A

Anonymous

Um, my gut feel is that the Quake doesn't keep up. I find the whole low bass thing a bit of a puzzle really. I demo'ed the PMC FB1i and GB1i with the Primare I30 and CD31 but really felt that the bass was behind in timing. Everyone, including PMC, make such a point of how transmission lines result in exceptional timing. I don't know what to think other than I prefer to chop it off! I've never heard anything produce low bass that timed well other than the MA PL300s on MA KW kit. Anyway, I digress.

The REL R series subs are pretty good, with sensible sizes available for reasonable prices. I'd suggest the KEF PV sub but I've heard bad things about it for stereo.

They provide a lot of flexibility because you can tune the resultant sound to the room and your tastes. In fact, you can tune it as your tastes and needs change too.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i also have mine wired into a spare speaker port which is switched so can take out the loop if needed for late night listening so as not to disturb anyone else - placement can be a bit tricky as there are good positions and bad positions and then you have to take aesthetic placement into account (mines the size of a small fridge) - in my listening position it's perfect but i can tell if i stand 2m either side it gets deeper could be placement could be reflextive waves

Messiah

al7478:Any examples Messiah (and are they smaller)? I've just been fiddling with the EQ in WMP and noticed a lot more of the orchestration on some tracks by turning the bass frequencies up, but it very quickly became very obviously distorted.

Well I demoed a couple of REL subs and the Monitor Audio RSW-12 a while ago and they were very good. Although to be fair I still use my Yamaha sub as I have always enjoyed the sound from it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Taylor74: All two-way standmount speakers play to around 60Hz or so. The issue isn't AVI-specific.

Although to be fair, the measured 60Hz of the 9.1's is at -6dB, so when other frequencies are going on, that's more or less inaudible. So really we may be talking good down to about 80Hz, maybe 70Hz depending on the roll off. Even the tiny ATC SCM7's can match that, and they're sealed. I'd expect more from a ported speaker to be honest.

Messiah

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Taylor74: All two-way standmount speakers play to around 60Hz or so. The issue isn't AVI-specific.

Although to be fair, the measured 60Hz of the 9.1's is at -6dB, so when other frequencies are going on, that's more or less inaudible. So really we may be talking good down to about 80Hz, maybe 70Hz depending on the roll off. Even the tiny ATC SCM7's can match that, and they're sealed. I'd expect more from a ported speaker to be honest.

Well I expect you would Dave. I understand you had a less than amicable conversation with Ashley the other day but I certainly get the impression you are not an AVI fan!

Now all of Ash's spiel aside, and given your passion for the business, is there not even one part of you that wants to at least listen to these speakers?? Just a smidgen??

If nothing else it would (possibly) provide you with something to back up your usually negative comments towards these speakers?

(Normally I cannot be bothered to defend the speakers and be deemed to be one of the 'fan boys' but it is frustrating to read your comments towards them when I have come to expect better from you........)

Just try them please and then let us have your informed opinion
emotion-2.gif

How long till this one gets locked
emotion-42.gif
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well seeing as they have virtually zero retailers, and a trip to their factory is probably not advised, I can't see me ever getting to hear them. I'll give anything fair crack of the whip, but I do like to wade in if a feel the argument is a little one sided or I see less than 100% correct info being posted.

Messiah

pvanblarcum:
I finally found some speakers both I and the wife like;

• Proac Studio 130 and Proac Response D15 floorstanders
  • AVI ADM 9.1

First question; would the Cambridge Audio 840A be a good match for the Proac's?

Second question; can AVI ADM's really replace a conventional AMP/Speaker combo?

My source will be an Mac Mini

Basically, I don't know what do to; go traditional and use a
DAC/840A/Proac combination or spend half the money and go for the AVI
ADM 9.1. I listen to all kind of music exept hard rock and hip hop (so
base in not that important). The room is pretty large (8 * 6 meters
with high ceilings). I love the ideas of the ADM's, but will it fill my
room with good HiFi music?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Now I will
take my cue from others and say that without hearing the CA and ProAc
combo, the AVIs will undoubtedly be better!
emotion-4.gif

Seriously, I
personally am very impressed with the speakers and would certainly
recommend you audition them. If only these had been around a few years
ago I would have wished somebody could have advised me on them as I
could have saved a lot of time and money on getting a sound I love....

I also think they will be fine for that room size but I would budget for a sub.

(Apologies for how that has turned out, not sure what happened)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts