Calling Musical Fidelity X-Series Owners...(Amplifiers especially)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm thinking about setting up a small system to add to my headphone system. I really like my MF X-CANV8 and wonder about the X-Series integrated amps, both the V8 and especially also the older X-80 and X-150 ones. Are they any good? How would they compare to today's kit? I listen mostly to classical music and jazz and like a warm and detailed sound.

Those of you who own/have owned/listened to any of these amps: what do they sound like and with what speakers do/did you pair them?

Thanks a lot!

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

I have a mate who has the musical fidelity A5 integrated ... I connected the amp to my current main system and can say that I was very impressed .... My main amp is an old Pioneer SA-9800 but can say that the MF is much better in all areas

Loads of power (250 watts @ 8 ohms) .... and should be able to drive any speakers comfortably ... these sell for between £700-£800 on ebay, and a bargain IMHO

I may eventually get one

A

Anonymous

hi hedgehog, i have been into the musical fidelity x series and used
most models over the years and i still use them, i have also tried

other makes of amps and to my ears the musical fidelity amps
are still the best pound for pound sound wise, so if i were you i
would buy them they produce a nice balance between warmth
and bright just about the right balance, they sound top class imo..

A

Anonymous

John, what speakers did you use with your amp? Do you think something like Proac Tablettes would go well with it? I'll be in a small room, I think, so no need for too big a pair of speakers.

Hedgehog

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Here's an idea. Your X-CanV8 received a rave review as a single source preamplifier. Why don't you just add a power amplifier instead? You will be able to afford better quality gear by doing so.

Musical Fidelity tends to go well with Monitor Audio and B&W, none of which specializes in classical music.

I strongly recommend that you give Harbeth and Proac a listen with amplifiers such as Primare and Exposure.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately, I don't have the "P" version of the X-Can, so I would have to take the signal out of the headphone out...

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Hedgehog

John Duncan

Hedgehog:
John, what speakers did you use with your amp? Do you think something like Proac Tablettes would go well with it? I'll be in a small room, I think, so no need for too big a pair of speakers.

Hedgehog

I had Tannoy Revolution R2s, because I couldn't afford the Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature (which went rather well with it)...

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I have been a loyal user of MF products since 1999 and yes, I do agree with the comments from the people here. They do give you the best value for money. I have used my MF amps with Heybrook Optima, Mission 34i and TDL RTL3SE speakers before and currently with EPOS 12.2. The X Series (well, mine are the X-A models), I must say, provides me with enough punch for heavy metal music and also provides me with details and clarity for my jazz/latino/orchestral songs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks El Hefe, I find all of this very interesting. Unfortunately, the loyalty of MF customers keeps second-hand prices up! Especially the X-Series components fetch good money on Ebay at the moment. And here I'm hoping for a bargain! Good to know that they're worth it though.

I wonder if anyone has had good results with MF/Proac, as I've heard a few Proac speakers recently and loved them all.

Hedgehog

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Ahhh yes Hedgehog. I guess MF users are trying to keep the novelty of the product. I myself is in the midst of purchasing an X-CANS V2 from ebay. On the pricier side but still much cheaper than buying a brand new one. Good luck in finding what you want.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts