Cables for my system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello to all,

Last time I've been here I was setting up my bedroom system (with which I'm extremely satisfied, I must say), and I am now building my living room set-up. It currently consists of KEF's XQ40 loudspeakers, Marantz's PM-11S2 integrated amplifier, Panamax's M5400 mains conditioner, Cambridge Audio's DAC Magic (which will be replaced soon by Electrocompaniet's ECD-1), Marantz's BD7004 and a computer. I also intend to buy Marantz's SA-15S2 to be used as a transport for the ECD-1, although this won't be any time soon. The cables that I have aren't on par with the rest of the system, and as I'll be in England in July, I intend to buy decent cables there, as audio equipment's extremely expensive here in Brazil.

I need speaker cables (and jumpers in case they're not biwired), XLR interconnects, two coaxial interconnects, RCA interconnects and four power chords, maybe five if you guys think the computer needs it as well. My limit is £1000 for all of them. I haven't included the cables for the SACD player because I won't need them for now.

Also, if that's important, I listen to a wide variety of genres, from classical to jazz, from electronic to heavy metal and so on. No hip hop for me though hahaha! I want a sound that's warm and non fatiguing but also transparent, well defined, full bodied and correct. Soundstage is also a priority. Note that, at this moment, I find the system to be a bit overly bright sometimes and to lack body to the bass. I cannot point at what in the system causes that, but if possible I would like the cables to correct those problems and tailor the sound so as to make it more rounded, so to speak. Don't know if I'm asking too much, but anyway.

This is what I thought of:

Chord Signature speaker cables and jumpers

Atlas Quadstar or Chord Chameleon XLR interconnects

QED Signature coaxial interconnects

QED Reference Audio Evolution or Van Den Hul The Name RCA interconnects

Clearer Audio Copper-Line power cable

What do you guys think? Are those good choices? I would really appreciate if you could let me know if these are good options or, if necessary (and possible), if you could suggest me other alternatives.

Thank you very much in advance!

Leonardo

Adnams

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
They are but for that system try out cables from Audioquest.

They do some brilliant cables.I use Columbia which is available in XLR and CV4 speaker cable, totally the best I have ever used,try them you will not be disappointed.But I would try further up the range say Colorado interconnects and Rocket 88 speaker cable, try mine at the the very least.

T

the record spot

Try some unbranded or pro-audio cables. I used to have The Name cable you mentioned, then a pair of Audioquest Copperheads which made no difference at all. Same price cable more or less. I then replaced the copperhead cable with one of the same construction but at a tenth of the cost . The sound remained the same. Not one single bit of a difference. So, the audioquest went on Ebay, the cable from Computergear went on and the system lost nothing as a result.

Bottom line, wise up and work out what your cables are constructed with and purchase accordingly. You don't need to spend loads on fancy boxes or wires.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for the replies!

Adnams, do you think that the Rocket 88s are a better choice than Chord's Signature? The only problem is that it's more expensive, and the total cost for all cables would be greater than a thousand pounds, but if it's worth it, maybe I can stretch my budget a bit.

the record spot, that's something I think about sometimes. For practical reasons, I have never tried to audition different interconnects properly. When I upgraded the interconnects in my bedroom's setup I didn't notice any difference, but maybe that's either because it's an entry level system, and therefore this kind of upgrade doesn't show any improvement, or because I would need to compare them almost immediately in order to notice the differences. Or maybe my ears aren't sensitive enough. It was a sensitive upgrade, so maybe a serious upgrade can show significant differences. Anyways, as I don't intend to spend thousands of dollars on RCA interconnects, maybe I should follow your advice and stick with the ones I've got (which aren't bad, just not on par with the system price-wise).

SlickenSmooth, I checket MIT's website, seems quite interesting. How much are those?

T

the record spot

leonardodrummond:Anyways, as I don't intend to spend thousands of dollars on RCA interconnects, maybe I should follow your advice and stick with the ones I've got (which aren't bad, just not on par with the system price-wise)

In fairness, neither do mine! I kept with the "10-15% of the budget" thing and landed on cheap cable by accident, in an Edinburgh computer shop that sold one brand of RCA interconnect and my only thought was "how bad can it get?"! Of course, I nearly fell over when I swapped out the Audioquests and popped the Computergear ones on and, er, no difference!

In the past I've had Audioquest Turquoise, van den Hul "The Name" and QED Qunex. There was also a set of Nordost Blue Heaven which was just too sharp (silver based cable I think, so there was a difference there, but the inherent composition of the wire is obviously different fundamentally). Otherwise, it was the same sound.

Incidentally, I'm not saying don't try them out with pricier cables; it's your decision and a fun test, but trust your ears in the end. If something by Chord, Merlin, etc., sounds better than a set of £7 wires, then go for it, but check the make-up of the wire and you can save a small fortune.

A

Anonymous

leonardodrummond:
Hello to all,

Last time I've been here I was setting up my bedroom system (with which I'm extremely satisfied, I must say), and I am now building my living room set-up. It currently consists of KEF's XQ40 loudspeakers, Marantz's PM-11S2 integrated amplifier, Panamax's M5400 mains conditioner, Cambridge Audio's DAC Magic (which will be replaced soon by Electrocompaniet's ECD-1), Marantz's BD7004 and a computer. I also intend to buy Marantz's SA-15S2 to be used as a transport for the ECD-1, although this won't be any time soon. The cables that I have aren't on par with the rest of the system, and as I'll be in England in July, I intend to buy decent cables there, as audio equipment's extremely expensive here in Brazil.

I need speaker cables (and jumpers in case they're not biwired), XLR interconnects, two coaxial interconnects, RCA interconnects and four power chords, maybe five if you guys think the computer needs it as well. My limit is £1000 for all of them. I haven't included the cables for the SACD player because I won't need them for now.

Also, if that's important, I listen to a wide variety of genres, from classical to jazz, from electronic to heavy metal and so on. No hip hop for me though hahaha! I want a sound that's warm and non fatiguing but also transparent, well defined, full bodied and correct. Soundstage is also a priority. Note that, at this moment, I find the system to be a bit overly bright sometimes and to lack body to the bass. I cannot point at what in the system causes that, but if possible I would like the cables to correct those problems and tailor the sound so as to make it more rounded, so to speak. Don't know if I'm asking too much, but anyway.

This is what I thought of:

Chord Signature speaker cables and jumpers

Atlas Quadstar or Chord Chameleon XLR interconnects

QED Signature coaxial interconnects

QED Reference Audio Evolution or Van Den Hul The Name RCA interconnects

Clearer Audio Copper-Line power cable

What do you guys think? Are those good choices? I would really appreciate if you could let me know if these are good options or, if necessary (and possible), if you could suggest me other alternatives.

Thank you very much in advance!

Leonardo

Hope this helps, but i would second what RS is saying. I'm not saying that this will definitely work for you because every system/room is different. I have recently just done a cable overhaul as i was finding my Cyrus/Rega combo a tad too bright. To cut a long story short i have just replaced my Chord Chameleon Silver Plus (£125) and VDH D102 MK3 (£90) cables with some £12 Van Damme/Rean Interconnects. I have also replaced my Chord Rumor speaker cable (£11p/m) with some Van Damme Blue studio speaker cable at £2p/m. I am over the moon with these changes, but at the same time a little annoyed because i could have saved myself a LOT of money if i had tried this 2 years ago. Basically the speaker cable made the most difference, taming the treble and adding some bass weight and making the sound more musical and less forward.The Interconnects have made more subtle changes but if anything just sound more musical also. I realise this may not be such a good match for all systems, but for mine it has been an absolute revelation.I don't believe i have lost any detail or soundstage either which is a bonus. Like i say, these cables may not be the ultimate, but for what they cost i would highly recommend you try them.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Sorry I did not see your intended budget. I would get the AVt 1 ic's and speakercables. Around 1000 euros for the whole package.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:trust your ears in the end.

Spot on! In the end that's what matters, isnt't it? I'll follow your advice then, and save on RCA interconnects. I think XLR cables seem to make a difference though, so although I won't spend a fortune in it, I'll try and get a decent one. This way I'll even be able to compare it to my Belden XLRs, and if I notice no difference whatsoever, I can sell the more expensive ones.

Frank, I find what you said very interesting, because I also believe that what really matters is synergy and personal taste. I've recently read about a guy that bought B&W 683s instead of the 703s not because he couldn't afford the latter, but he thought its bass response was to lean and not powerful enough. It's obviously supposed to be a better speaker, but they didn't work for him. I believe that the situation is the same regarding cables. Well, as what you suggested is very cheap and may tame the highs in here as well (which is one of my complaints), I'll give it a try! Thanks for that!

SlickenSmooth, these look very interesting as well. Do you think they're a better choice than the Chords and Audioquests? The thing that makes me think twice about both these cables is that I've read somewhere that the Chords can be considered a worthy competitor to the Nordost Valhallas. Do you think that the others are superior?

A

Anonymous

Cables aren't going to tame brightness, unfortunately. Your new DAC will have way more impact, so I'd wait for that.

idc

FrankTheTank:

Hope this helps, but i would second what RS is saying. I'm not saying that this will definitely work for you because every system/room is different. I have recently just done a cable overhaul as i was finding my Cyrus/Rega combo a tad too bright. To cut a long story short i have just replaced my Chord Chameleon Silver Plus (£125) and VDH D102 MK3 (£90) cables with some £12 Van Damme/Rean Interconnects.........

Van Damme and Rean is what I have made my ICs with. Where did you get yours from?

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:
Cables aren't going to tame brightness, unfortunately. Your new DAC will have way more impact, so I'd wait for that.

Strongly disagree from my own experiences. IMO of course.

A

Anonymous

idc:FrankTheTank:

Hope this helps, but i would second what RS is saying. I'm not saying that this will definitely work for you because every system/room is different. I have recently just done a cable overhaul as i was finding my Cyrus/Rega combo a tad too bright. To cut a long story short i have just replaced my Chord Chameleon Silver Plus (£125) and VDH D102 MK3 (£90) cables with some £12 Van Damme/Rean Interconnects.........

Van Damme and Rean is what I have made my ICs with. Where did you get yours from?

Fleabay believe it or not. You can just do a search. It was through a power seller/Audio shop though. I have just ordered another Interconnect from them yesterday. Cost me all of £13 for 1m.

A

Anonymous

leonardodrummond:
the record spot:trust your ears in the end.

Spot on! In the end that's what matters, isnt't it? I'll follow your advice then, and save on RCA interconnects. I think XLR cables seem to make a difference though, so although I won't spend a fortune in it, I'll try and get a decent one. This way I'll even be able to compare it to my Belden XLRs, and if I notice no difference whatsoever, I can sell the more expensive ones.

Frank, I find what you said very interesting, because I also believe that what really matters is synergy and personal taste. I've recently read about a guy that bought B&W 683s instead of the 703s not because he couldn't afford the latter, but he thought its bass response was to lean and not powerful enough. It's obviously supposed to be a better speaker, but they didn't work for him. I believe that the situation is the same regarding cables. Well, as what you suggested is very cheap and may tame the highs in here as well (which is one of my complaints), I'll give it a try! Thanks for that!

SlickenSmooth, these look very interesting as well. Do you think they're a better choice than the Chords and Audioquests? The thing that makes me think twice about both these cables is that I've read somewhere that the Chords can be considered a worthy competitor to the Nordost Valhallas. Do you think that the others are superior?

Yeah i know synergy is a bit of a cliche, but it is that for a reason. When it came to Interconnects and speaker cable i did audition but basically spent as much as i could, thinking that this would get me the "best" sound possible. I also think it can be sometimes wrong to group components and accessories into price brackets for example the VDH and Chord Interconnects, and only look at them because they followed the "10% rule" with the rest of my system. I would never have even considered the new speaker cable and Interconnects i'm using now, purely because they are so cheap in comparison. Well i have learnt a very valuable lesson recently and any advice i would offer to somebody looking into cables/interconnects etc, is to audition as much as you can, from whatever price range you can. You may well be in for a BIG surprise as i have been.

A

Anonymous

FrankTheTank:Tarquinh:

Strongly disagree from my own experiences. IMO of course. Even more strongly disagree from my own experience! That DAC is streets above the Dacmagic in terms of presentation, so will make far more of a difference than any cable could.

A

Anonymous

I'd also suspect the speakers too. The only review I found described them as shouty, which is harsh but reflects how I've found some of the recent kefs.

Frankly I'd can the Kefs, buy some Cremonas and live happily every after.

idc

FrankTheTank:idc:FrankTheTank:

Fleabay believe it or not. You can just do a search. It was through a power seller/Audio shop though. I have just ordered another Interconnect from them yesterday. Cost me all of £13 for 1m.

I am sure I have found them, the seller is called cadencecables. That is a very reasonable price since the phonos will be about £3, the cable about £1 and then with time and other costs, it is what I estimated it cost me to make mine. So if what to avoid the DIY route to get the Out Of This World Audio Solar MkII interconnect, they are £13 on ebay.

A

Anonymous

idc:FrankTheTank:idc:FrankTheTank:

I am sure I have found them, the seller is called cadencecables. That is a very reasonable price since the phonos will be about £3, the cable about £1 and then with time and other costs, it is what I estimated it cost me to make mine. So if what to avoid the DIY route to get the Out Of This World Audio Solar MkII interconnect, they are £13 on ebay.

Idc

Try these bad boys!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-0m-Twin-RCA-Phono-HiFi-Lead-Van-damme-Hi-Fi-Cable-/330434960719?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4cef755d4f[/b]

idc

Ooo, just like mine!

4567230235_1cafc74f75.jpg

But probably better made as I could not get the heatshrink to go on evenly.

A

Anonymous

idc:
Ooo, just like mine!

4567230235_1cafc74f75.jpg

But probably better made as I could not get the heatshrink to go on evenly.

Look just as good as mine!

All i know is, they sound awesome. Chord Chameleon just been sold to accomodate mine. Did you find the Rean plugs quite a tight fit? i did, not necessarily a bad thing though.

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh, while I do agree that the new DAC will definitely make a huge difference in my setup (second only to the speakers I think, as it's the source anyway), from my experience, I found that speaker cables also make a reasonably big difference in tailoring the sound. I'm now using QED's Silver Anniversary XT for the UniQ driver and Diamond Cable Platinum Audiophile for the woofers. This way I get clear highs - although quite aggressive at some points - and reasonably substantial lows (not as much as I want though). When I used only the Diamond Cable, I thought the sound was too congested and not transparent enough. Also, when I used the QEDs for the lows I found them to sound very thin, and the Diamonds for the highs were still really congested: they had very little definition. So I concluded that speaker cables do make a reasonable difference in how the system sounds. Not big, but significant. I also think that upgrading the DAC first is the ideal thing to do, but the problem is that I need to buy the cables abroad, you have no idea of how expensive this kind of equipment is in here! Really, just prohibitive. To give you an idea, the Dali Suite 2.8s cost about 1200 dollars, and, in Brazil, about 6000 dollars. I'll try and get good speaker cables in the UK so that at least I'll have a good starting point; worst case scenario I can sell them here for a price compatible with the market's situation! Hopefully lol! Also, this was the reason why I bought the KEFs. There are shops here in Brazil that bring equipment from Paraguay, where there are no taxes apparently, and this way you avoid the unbelievable taxes that the official reseller has. I was going to buy those Dalis, but the KEFs are highly superior and, if you buy them in those shops, they have the same price as in the US. So you're kind of restricted to the brands that are sold in Paraguay. While in the US or UK you can buy better speakers for the price, in here you can buy products from brands sold in the neighbor country that are vastly superior than anything you can get in the official market for the same price. The same happened with the Marantz: I paid 5400 dollars, and in the oficial distributor they cost 8700. It's really messed up! But still, it was great to hear your opinions, thank you!

Frank, reading about your experience was really valuable for me, thank you for that. While I do believe many things that I read about cables (mostly in a famous Brazilian forum, with really experienced people), sometimes I question myself about many things. Some users spend the same amount of money in their cables as they do in the system, and I find that unreasonable. The argument is that they want to make the most out of the system, but wouldn't it be a lot easier to just upgrade the main components? I think that this will give them a much better overall result, as it will improve other areas, areas where the cables have no influence, if that makes sense. I'm very happy to have found someone that confirms some of my suspicions!

idc and Frank, they seem very interesting! Maybe I'll try them out! Thank you both for that!

A

Anonymous

To be honest, from what you describe to be looking for in cables it's in the MIT cables. I've never heard the Nordost. It's hard to say which is 'better'. Depends a lot on the synergy it has with the system.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, I see... I'll definitely consider those! Thank you very much for the suggestion!

A

Anonymous

leonardo, cables won't do much I'm afraid. From what you've just written the problem is with the speakers, and matches precisely what the review I read says.

Spend as little as possible on cables, and enjoy your visit here.

Adnams

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply, but if you go for the CV4 cable ,it will drop you back into your price bracket.I am very pleased with my cables they have given me more insight into what ever i listen to,there is less grunge and that is what its all about getting the signal through as cleanly poss.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts