Cable flow direction

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

It's been mentioned to me that I may have my interconnects not connected properly. I have chord chameleon vee3. I can't see any markers on the cable or terminated ends. If they do exist, am i right you direct it from the source to the amp? Can anyone let me know what to look for.

Secondly without wanting to open needless debate, does it make a difference.

Thanks guys

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
If you can find the markings, yes direction is from source to amp. You shouldn't have asked the second question! Having said that, if the manufacturer suggests it's directional it would be perverse, whether you believe it or not, to intentionally use them the "wrong" way round.

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response ifor.

Can't find anything and didn't think it was that big a deal. Agreed I might have started something that I shouldn't have!

Sorry in advance everyone.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I noticed the other day that my signature interconnects to one of the amps did not follow the arrow, thought about changing it but could not be bothered ! I am going to take the system to bits for a annual dust today so will report back on any differance but I suspect the only change will be in the direction the little arrows are pointing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lejockey said:
Its an alternating current flowing through them no? So it won't matter which way round they go?

Correct, but people will accuse you of blinding them with science if you bandy complicated terms like 'alternating current' with them.

It suits a lot of people (including some WHF? staff) to think of audio signals as flowing in one direction from source to speakers, no matter how disastrous that would be if true!

Give up now, relax and enjoy the Easter break.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
With Chord, and a lot of ither companies, the biggest cause of cable directionality is actually to do with the shielding- the shield is only connected at one end in an attempt to reduce noise. I can't remember whether the connected end is preferred to be on the receiving or sending end, but the manufacturer woukd have determined this when they put the arrows on.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Deliriumbassist said:
With Chord, and a lot of ither companies, the biggest cause of cable directionality is actually to do with the shielding- the shield is only connected at one end in an attempt to reduce noise. I can't remember whether the connected end is preferred to be on the receiving or sending end, but the manufacturer woukd have determined this when they put the arrows on.

Indeed. Cables with overall screens that are only connected at one end need to be installed the 'right way round' (usually with the screen connected at the amp end). This doesn't mean that the signal is in any way directional - of course its not.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You think it wouldn't make any difference but I had a set he wrong way round and all my albums played in reverse...llawrednow ym ruoy :O

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, NAIM maintain that their speaker cables have a directional aspect. I have not been able to find a shred of justifcation for this stance.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and OP, if the aren't any markings, the flow of the script on the cable jacket is your arrow with Chord- Connect it in such a way that it goes Source-> "The Chord Company Chameleon VEE3 blahblahblah" -> Amp.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Tackleberry1 said:
Secondly without wanting to open needless debate, does it make a difference.

One man's observation here < http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/blog/cable-polarity_post19.html >. I think the message is try it for yourself and be open minded.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
BenLaw said:
chebby said:
carter said:
You think it wouldn't make any difference but I had a set he wrong way round and all my albums played in reverse...llawrednow ym ruoy :O

Reverse or Welsh?

It's a little known fact that all Oasis lyrics are merely popular Welsh phrases in reverse.

I can prove you wrong there, because the Gallaghers are more literate than one might assume. Reversing the lyric correctly it is, "llawrednow my er'uoy".

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ifor said:
BenLaw said:
chebby said:
carter said:

Reverse or Welsh?

It's a little known fact that all Oasis lyrics are merely popular Welsh phrases in reverse.

I can prove you wrong there, because the Gallaghers are more literate than one might assume. Reversing the lyric correctly it is, "llawrednow my er'uoy".

I know but IIRC correctly carter is dyslexic and I therefore felt it inappropriate to make that observation.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lejockey said:
Its an alternating current flowing through them no? So it won't matter which way round they go?

Ah, but Hi-Fi charletons can alter the laws of physics and the more they cahrge for their wires the more the physics is altered!

Floydian

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If you want to follow the writing or the arrows on the cables, then do so. If you don't, then don't!!

It's like it has become fashionable to slate cables manufacturers. Not on.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
ifor said:
BenLaw said:
chebby said:
carter said:

Reverse or Welsh?

I know but IIRC correctly carter is dyslexic and I therefore felt it inappropriate to make that observation.

could be the case on your posh hi end cables but on my budget ones most of the punctuation is lost ;-).....anyway why wouldn't "my" be reversed

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
carter said:
BenLaw said:
ifor said:
BenLaw said:
chebby said:
carter said:

Reverse or Welsh?

could be the case on your posh hi end cables but on my budget ones most of the punctuation is lost ;-).....anyway why wouldn't "my" be reversed

:grin:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Floydian said:
It's like it has become fashionable to slate cables manufacturers. Not on.

Why not?

With the exception of some screened cables which need to be connected at one end it doesn't matter which way round a cable goes. If a cable manufacturer tells you otherwise then they're lying and dererve to be exposed for the charlatans that they are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts