Cable Con?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
Having read more of those reports/articles, I am not entirely convinced that the author is entirely unbiased in his views. However, regarding cables being cables, it is quite obvious that various cable designs abound, but that is not to say that they are suitable for audio use, even if the marketing blurb that precedes them says that they are designed specifically for it and that they excel. Sometimes nothing could be further from the truth.

Regarding the author, its a bit of a tough one that. If you're going to write a book on the subject, then you really either need to grab the bull by the horns so to speak, and sit in one camp or the other. If you were to sit on the fence, it would bring into question everything else you speak of. Thats not to say theres any harm with sitting on the fence in general.
And I completely agree, some incredibly overpriced cables are not really adequate for use in hifi.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Interestingly, since I posted on here, someones tried hacking my facebook.
Coincidence?

You've been added to the "Trusted group". Check if you're still having problems starting new threads?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
Overdose said:
Having read more of those reports/articles, I am not entirely convinced that the author is entirely unbiased in his views. However, regarding cables being cables, it is quite obvious that various cable designs abound, but that is not to say that they are suitable for audio use, even if the marketing blurb that precedes them says that they are designed specifically for it and that they excel. Sometimes nothing could be further from the truth.

Regarding the author, its a bit of a tough one that. If you're going to write a book on the subject, then you really either need to grab the bull by the horns so to speak, and sit in one camp or the other. If you were to sit on the fence, it would bring into question everything else you speak of. Thats not to say theres any harm with sitting on the fence in general.And I completely agree, some incredibly overpriced cables are not really adequate for use in hifi.

The thing is, it should be a neutral party conducting tests if possible. I would question the neutrality of the author/s or them being in the sceptic camp as some of the comments have been sweeping generalisations and repeat misinformation as found in any hifi forum.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
The thing is, it should be a neutral party conducting tests if possible. I would question the neutrality of the author/s or them being in the sceptic camp as some of the comments have been sweeping generalisations and repeat misinformation as found in any hifi forum.

The article in question has been put together along with many other articles to form an entire book. Parts 1 - 6 are just small parts of said book. The sceptic part (I assume you mean when I referred to them as sceptics?) was done by 3 entirely different people who put a white paper together about it. The author drew from that paper (Amongst many others)

D

Deleted member 2457

aliEnRIK said:
bigboss said:
aliEnRIK said:
Interestingly, since I posted on here, someones tried hacking my facebook.Coincidence?

Yes, I think so. How will anyone know your real name?

If I could PM you I would
Do it on AVForums Rik, BB goes under the same username, just pm him.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
aliEnRIK said:
Interestingly, since I posted on here, someones tried hacking my facebook.Coincidence?

Yes, I think so. How will anyone know your real name?

Just took me about 15 seconds. Quite worrying actually, I'm glad I'm not particularly active on t'internet.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I do believe speaker cables do make a difference. Indeed I have exploited this fact when I use Bi Wiring. Passively tuning the sound with careful selection of cable for top and bottom. I have been doing this since the mid/late 80's with good results. Now I know that there are a few people who don't believe cables (or indeed bi wiring) make a difference. I have had many heated discussions with people on this site and others.

For those people who are technical and have a physics/electrical engineering background, can you look at these video's and explain when the researcher is getting the result he is and comment on his conclusions. The last video is the clitcher but you need to see them all in order to understand what he is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9HrYAyVItY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUAKE6I3AmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_iHp9rJj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMgBqpfGQ4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lozs7KWlQ7Q

TRENDING THREADS