hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Greetings all,

decided to sell my 21s, Having got them just before last christmas to replace bw cm5. initially i wasn't at all happy with the 21s. I just couldn't believe how different could two different brands of speakers sound. Learnt a big lesson that way: never buy anything without a demo or two. PMC 21s are an excellent set of speakers. They do everything you would expect from a pair of hi end speakers to do, real sound with a lot of depth and detail and i really enjoyed them but there was always something missing. I kept missing the BW sound, as much as i enjoyed the music i just wasn't convinced that this is the sound i was after hence the decision to sell them.

Music matters in birmingham do a very good scheme which is much better than PX. They sell your goods online at a 15% fee which covers all the selling cost and rest is used as credit towards the new purchase.

To B w or not to B w?

well i am going to listen to the new cm6 next week to take it from there.

thanks for reading.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My advice would be to listen to a few other brands as well eg. Neat, Kudos, GamuT, Audio Physic, Proac, Diapason, Spendor and ATC.

This is the old, old problem. Any new or different brand can take you way beyond your comfort zone. Even though my PMCs are soooo much better than the RS6s, I still occasionally yearn for another pair.

Go straight back to the B&Ws. But rather than the CM range, look at 805S - should have the sound you're familiar with, but more akin to the 21s in terms outright quality. Ideal half-way house.

I think you should maybe reevaluate your decision and maybe try another amp,before doing away with the pmc's. Mine sound fantastic with the Naim xs. I also had b&w cm5's beforehand,and I don't think I could go back. The 21's just sound so much more natural.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
This is the old, old problem. Any new or different brand can take you way beyond your comfort zone. Even though my PMCs are soooo much better than the RS6s, I still occasionally yearn for another pair.

Go straight back to the B&Ws. But rather than the CM range, look at 805S - should have the sound you're familiar with, but more akin to the 21s in terms outright quality. Ideal half-way house.

i guess i am too used to the b&w sound. Also the kind of music we listen to make a huge difference . Indian music ,in general, i think sound better with speakers that adds a bit of wow factor to the sound and this is where i think bw edges a little over pmc, PMC more or less give out the sound as it is . Even the cm5 gave more of a fuller sound where as the 21s had more point and shot sound. I have to waita few years before i can think of the 805 line so for now i think cm6 will have to suffice.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
plastic penguin said:

i guess i am too used to the b&w sound. Also the kind of music we listen to make a huge difference . Indian music ,in general, i think sound better with speakers that adds a bit of wow factor to the sound and this is where i think bw edges a little over pmc, PMC more or less give out the sound as it is . Even the cm5 gave more of a fuller sound where as the 21s had more point and shot sound. I have to waita few years before i can think of the 805 line so for now i think cm6 will have to suffice.

Nothing wrong with sticking to what you like and the B&W looks nice too.

The little Creek amplifier has had great reviews but it was never reported to be a party animal. Perhaps there was just a mismatch.

I would probably also listen to MA Silver 1 and 2's. I could imagine they may go rather well with your amplifier (and save you some money). Nice build too.

Hope you have fun choosing.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I think you should maybe reevaluate your decision and maybe try another amp,before doing away with the pmc's. Mine sound fantastic with the Naim xs. I also had b&w cm5's beforehand,and I don't think I could go back. The 21's just sound so much more natural.

i have done a lot of pondering before making that decision, dont get me wrong 21s are a brilliant set of speakers but may be they are not what my ears are accustomed to and this change in system is costing me a lot money too so i would not have done it otherwise.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
plastic penguin said:

i guess i am too used to the b&w sound. Also the kind of music we listen to make a huge difference . Indian music ,in general, i think sound better with speakers that adds a bit of wow factor to the sound and this is where i think bw edges a little over pmc, PMC more or less give out  the sound as it is . Even the cm5 gave more of a fuller sound where as the 21s had more point and shot sound. I have to waita few years before i can think of the 805 line so for now i think cm6 will have to suffice.

Indian music needs a bit of spice then lol

I also thought my cm5's gave a fuller sound...until I put the pmc's close to the wall and reshuffled my room and wow the changes were dramatic.the sound stage is definitely not point and shoot.the bass extension is clean,full and instruments are placed well.It definitely pays to tinker with placement with these speakers.I'd definitely look at Changing the amp before the speakers.they are also superb looking little boxes (especially in diamond black).these are going to be sought after speakers....at some point.lol.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
CnoEvil said:
My advice would be to listen to a few other brands as well eg. Neat, Kudos, GamuT, Audio Physic, Proac, Diapason, Spendor and ATC.

Howcome no kefs?
I don't always like to be predictable and wanted to give some of the less usual choices....and IIRC he didn't like the LS50s.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I also owned a pair of B&W CM5 speakers before i replaced them with the PMC Twenty.21. I used these 20.21 for several months with my Naim UnitiLite but always found i was missing something compared to the CM5.

So after several months i sold the 20.21 and bought a pair of B&W CM5 S2. This combination i liked a lot more. It also played good at lower volume settings (20.21 does not), there was more and deeper bass and the sound was more musical imo. So for me the step from the 20.21 to the CM5 S2 was a good one ...

But then i had the chance to listen to a pair of Epos Epic 2 in my setup. Although these speakers are a lot cheaper than the 20.21 and CM5 S2, i really like these. The combination Naim/Epos seems to be a good one with the Epos speakers being able to follow the PRAT of the Naim. The Epic 2 speakers also have a higher sensitivity compared to the 20.21 and CM5 S2.

So now i own a pair of Epos Epic 2 speakers.

I am still going to try the PMC Twenty.22 because i think these have the good qualities of the 20.21 but with more bass, with a better sound at lower volume settings and a 3 dB higher sensitivity.

rainsoothe

The Creek is a pretty sharp sounding amp, much as the unitilite, that's why these work well with warmer/fuller sounding speakers - like the CM5. The PMCs work well with the Nait XS because the XS1, unlike the majority of Naim, is very smoothsounding.

If op can afford, B&W 805 is a great suggestion.

Ahh..! That'll be why my cm5's sounded dull and lifeless on the end of my nait xs(I totally forgot that was the reason I sold them on,lol).On hindsight I was warned on this very forum that'd be the case When I was thinking about changing my amp from the Arcam's to the Naim xs .Oh well the pmc's sound excellent on the end of a nait xs then and the cm5's are a bit boring.go figure...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts