Buzzing noise

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
shadders said:
Hi,

To keep it simple, do the following.

Take out all input cables to the amplifier.

Plug in the suspected cable - seems to be the red cable of the stereo cable pair. Does it buzz

Take this cable out of that input, both wires (red and white), and plug into another input. Does it buzz?

If it buzzes on one and not the other, it is the input, and the amplifier is at fault.

If it buzzes on all inputs, try a different cable.

If the different cable buzzes, try another source - you seem to have a cd player so this would be the best one to use, not the PC.

If a different cable buzzes and a different source buzzes, it seems to confirm that it is the amp.

If you need to keep costs down, then for the same price a second hand amplifier is a good option. Try and get a well known make such as Denon, or Marantz - I state these brands as I checked a second hand Web site in the UK, and this seemed to be in your price range.

Regards,

Shadders.

I plugged the amplifier into my phone and the speakers don't buzz now, how can I stop the buzzing when it's in my PC?

BigH said:
Have you got any headphones?

Yeah, but they don't fit in the headphone output from my amplifier.

shadders

Hi,

Ok, sounds like it is the PC earthing issue when connecting to the amplifier.

Not sure what the options are, as I have never done this, but probably a standard fix is available. Others will know what the solution is.

Regards,

Shadders.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
shadders said:
Hi,

Ok, sounds like it is the PC earthing issue when connecting to the amplifier.

Not sure what the options are, as I have never done this, but probably a standard fix is available. Others will know what the solution is.

Regards,

Shadders.

I put the power plug from the PC in the wall outlet, it was in an extension cord on the ground when I had the problem. The buzzing is gone now. I fixed the problem. Thanks for the help anyway, people.

I found the solution by looking it up on Google.

(I'm not sure if wall outlet and extension cord are correct English words which mean what I think they mean in these sentences, English is my second language.)

Edit: The buzzing still occurs when I play a game.

shadders

Hi,

Is the console plugged into the extension socket?

Again, PC's, and other computer equipment are a pain to use sometimes with audio equipment. Maybe as per PC search, there is a solution on the Internet?

Regards,

Shadders.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Plug in the suspected cable - seems to be the red cable of the stereo cable pair. Does it buzz

Take this cable out of that input, both wires (red and white), and plug into another input. Does it buzz?

If it buzzes on one and not the other, it is the input, and the amplifier is at fault.

If the different cable buzzes, try another source - you seem to have a cd player so this would be the best one to use, not the PC.

If a different cable buzzes and a different source buzzes, it seems to confirm that it is the amp.

If you need to keep costs down, then for the same price a second hand amplifier is a good option. Try and get a well known make such as Denon, or Marantz - I state these brands as I checked a second hand Web site in the UK, and this seemed to be in your price range.

Regards,

Shadders.

I plugged the amplifier into my phone and the speakers don't buzz now, how can I stop the buzzing when it's in my PC?

BigH said:

Plug them into your computer, does it buzz?

There are a few things to try on computer:

Disable sound on motherboard.

Unplug mouse.

Unplug keyboard.

Unplug game console.

Does it make a difference?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Surely the likeliest culprit is the cable is shagged. The problem is he doesn't appear to be able to do his own basic 'process of elimination' fault-diagnosis by starting with just the amp connected to a pair of speakers and working back. Trying to second-guess a problem that could have several causes, we could be here all week.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

BigH said:

Plug them into your computer, does it buzz?

There are a few things to try on computer:

Disable sound on motherboard.

Unplug mouse.

Unplug keyboard.

Unplug game console.

Does it make a difference?

No to all

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
My amplifier also additional buzzing sounds, hissing and stuff like that, I hear it while playing music, do I need to buy a new amplifier to fix it or is something else causing it? I don't hear the hissing in music as much when my amplifier and speakers are connected to my phone.

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Do your old speakers make a buzz?

No. They are PC speakers, but I've never heard them make a buzz while I was playing a game.

So that sounds like its either your cable or amp then. Try a different cable.

You tried them with your new soundcard?

Yeah.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
My amplifier also additional buzzing sounds, hissing and stuff like that, I hear it while playing music, do I need to buy a new amplifier to fix it or is something else causing it? I don't hear the hissing in music as much when my amplifier and speakers are connected to my phone.

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:

No. They are PC speakers, but I've never heard them make a buzz while I was playing a game.

Yeah.

So it must be your new amp or cable? Unless you have added something else?

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:

Yeah.

So it must be your new amp or cable? Unless you have added something else?

I don't have a new amp or cable. I didn't try using my old PC speakers on my amp, but when I used them without an amp I didn't get any buzzing or hissing.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Whats the Dynavox CS-PA1 amplifier then?

Your pc speakers have an amp already.

Yeah, it's my new amp but I thought you meant I bought another amp after I bought the Dynavox amp.

Idk if it causes the problems.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
I would return the amp and try another one.

I'm not going to do that. I only hear the buzzing/hissing when I'm at the Fifa 16 menu, on other games I don't hear it.

That's not what you've told us for the last 5 pages. Anybody would think sussing this out was some mysterious science. It's just process of elimination. Why do you find it so hard? Does the amp buzz with NOTHING attached to it except speakers? Yes = **** amp. No = carry on. Plug the phono-end of your interconnect into the amp but DON'T connect the jack end to anything. Does it buzz? Yes = throw the lead away. No = carry on. Plug the jack end into your computer/console. Does it buzz? Yes = try a different jack to phono lead. Does it buzz? Yes = fault is at the computer/console end, e.g.: sound card, jack sockets, and so on, or could be with the amp sockets. Try a different set of line sockets on the amp. Does it still buzz? Yes = try a different source, eg your iPod or CD player. Does it still buzz? No = it's not the amp or the cable.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
davedotco said:
Reminds me so much of this...

http://www.ahajokes.com/com093.html

Famous and very old, but I chuckle everytime I read it...*ROFL*

lol I kept thinking of that one as I was reading the thread. I think it's just some people's brains aren't wired-up in a way that they can work through a problem methodically.

And it's easy for those of us whose are, to assume things are obvious. I may be wrong but reading through the thread, when it was suggested that the OP try another input on the amp and he just got silence, I don't believe anyone said "and select that input on the amp". So obvious when you understand it but not to everyone.

I often come in to find the streamer and the amp switched on - Radio 6 on the streamer but no sound. I ask Mrs Sawyer what's occuring and she shrugs and says the radio's not working. I only have two input sources so this happens if I've been listening to records and forgot to put the amp back to streamer before I switched off. A single press of the streamer selector on the amp and presto - sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts