Buzzing noise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:
There's no way we can give you a definite answer, there's too many variables. Sounds like an earthing issue, so it could be a fault with your amp, a fault with the interconnects, or a fault with you source(s). Have some gumption and swap stuff around until you isolate it. Start with nothing plugged in and work forward from there a step at a time. It's just basic 'process of elimination' fault-diagnosis. The ground-loop isolator is a blind path, you've no idea if you need it until you identify what's causing it.

When I disconnect the red cable RCA the buzzing noise dissappears.
Hi,

Try that red cable in a different input, if it buzzes then the cable/other end is the issue. If it does not buzz, then the amplifier is the issue.

Regards,

Shadders.

Do you mean I should put the red cable into the white input and the white cable into the red input? The other inputs aren't for connecting an amp to a PC if you mean the inputs like tape and cd.

Think you will find all inputs are the same just different labels on them, the only one that will be different is phono (turntable) but doubt you have that.

No, if I put my cables in the CD input I won't get any sound from my speakers, I don't have a CD player (except for the DVD writer and reader in my PC).

how does your amp know the difference? You can put cd in any input apart from Phono. You can put tape in cd, you can put pc in any. Try it and see.

I just tried it and I didn't get any sound.

You using digital out on your pc. Your amp. have a dac inside? Sorry I don't know that amp.

On an image I just looked up it has 3 inputs: Tuner, Tape and CD, so looks like they have relabeled the tuner with pc? If you feed in an analogue signal to any of those you should get some sound. I would return the amp. for a refund while you can.

I get sound with the tuner input, I don't get sound with the CD input and I didn't test the tape input.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:
There's no way we can give you a definite answer, there's too many variables. Sounds like an earthing issue, so it could be a fault with your amp, a fault with the interconnects, or a fault with you source(s). Have some gumption and swap stuff around until you isolate it. Start with nothing plugged in and work forward from there a step at a time. It's just basic 'process of elimination' fault-diagnosis. The ground-loop isolator is a blind path, you've no idea if you need it until you identify what's causing it.

Hi,

Try that red cable in a different input, if it buzzes then the cable/other end is the issue. If it does not buzz, then the amplifier is the issue.

Regards,

Shadders.

Do you mean I should put the red cable into the white input and the white cable into the red input? The other inputs aren't for connecting an amp to a PC if you mean the inputs like tape and cd.

Think you will find all inputs are the same just different labels on them, the only one that will be different is phono (turntable) but doubt you have that.

No, if I put my cables in the CD input I won't get any sound from my speakers, I don't have a CD player (except for the DVD writer and reader in my PC).

how does your amp know the difference? You can put cd in any input apart from Phono. You can put tape in cd, you can put pc in any. Try it and see.

You using digital out on your pc. Your amp. have a dac inside? Sorry I don't know that amp.

On an image I just looked up it has 3 inputs: Tuner, Tape and CD, so looks like they have relabeled the tuner with pc? If you feed in an analogue signal to any of those you should get some sound. I would return the amp. for a refund while you can.

I get sound with the tuner input, I don't get sound with the CD input and I didn't test the tape input.

So you don't have a PC input?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
On the back of your amp you have a section called inputs .. Cdplayer / tape / tunner try any of these inputs to see if the buzzing comes back the red lead on your phono lead is positive and white is negative but make sure that your put in the red plug to red input and white plug to white input in the same section but try each of the sections . I would unplug everything from your amp with just the speakers connected and then plug in one thing that can give you a signal to test with

What game machine are you using a Xbox / PlayStation or PC ?

Also check to see if there are no bear wire touching on the speaker bank just in case the positive and negative are not touching each other

if you still get the buzzing when testing take the amp back if you can if not save for something a bit better new or buy something better secondhand

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
On the back of your amp you have a section called inputs .. Cdplayer / tape / tunner try any of these inputs to see if the buzzing comes back the red lead on your phono lead is positive and white is negative but make sure that your put in the red plug to red input and white plug to white input in the same section but try each of the sections . I would unplug everything from your amp with just the speakers connected and then plug in one thing that can give you a signal to test with

Also check to see if there are no bear wire touching on the speaker bank just in case the positive and negative are not touching each other

if you still get the buzzing when testing take the amp back if you can if not save for something a bit better new or buy something better secondhand

I only get sound from tuner. I'm using a PC. If I unplug the red cable, I don't hear the buzzing anymore. If I have only the white cable plugged in, I don't hear the buzzing noise, but when I have only the red RCA cable plugged in I hear the buzzing noise.

I can send the amp back, but I don't know if the amp is causing the buzzing.

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

The PC input is the tuner input.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Petherick said:
Are you sure that the 3.5mm plug is fully in the socket on the PC?

I'm sure it's fully in my sound card's 3.5mm input. (I use a seperate soundcard, not the one from my motherboard.)

eggontoast said:
Have you got you Laptop plugged in, if so unplug it from the mains and see if the buzz goes.

If I unplug the amplifier from my (desktop) PC when it's turned on, I hear a noise which means I could damage it.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
When I turn off the amplifier after starting the game, I can still hear the buzzing sound from my computer. And it happens when I start Fifa 16 too, the sound isn't just there when I start Star Wars Battlefront.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I only get sound from tuner. I'm using a PC. If I unplug the red cable, I don't hear the buzzing anymore. If I have only the white cable plugged in, I don't hear the buzzing noise, but when I have only the red RCA cable plugged in I hear the buzzing noise.

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

But when I put the cables in the tuner input the sound from the speakers works and I hear the sound from whatever is playing on my PC.

My amplifier has the following inputs: CD, Tuner Input, Tape and REC out.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

But when I put the cables in the tuner input the sound from the speakers works and I hear the sound from whatever is playing on my PC.

Inputs should all be the same, so your PC should work on all of them, if they don't then send it back. Where did you buy it? What colour is the PC output socket?

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

Inputs should all be the same, so your PC should work on all of them, if they don't then send it back. Where did you buy it? What colour is the PC output socket?

I bought it at artencraft.be and the PC output socket is green. Are you sure my PC should work on all inputs? Because CD and Tape aren't the same as Tuner, they are for CD players and tape recorders right?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

I bought it at artencraft.be and the PC output socket is green. Are you sure my PC should work on all inputs? Because CD and Tape aren't the same as Tuner, they are for CD players and tape recorders right?
they are just inputs just because it says cd or tape that doesn't mean anything my thinking is it's an issue with the amp or interference between the amp and PC somewhere . Have you got a CD player to try on this amp or borrow one before taking the amp back so you can rule out if there is an issue with the amp

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

Green is correct outlet.

Yes it should work on all 3. Your PC is NOT a tuner. They are all the same level for analogue input.

Here this is from guide "You can put your PC's audio output into almost any analogue input of a hi-fi amplifier. It doesn’t matter if it’s labelled ‘CD’, ‘tape in’, ‘aux’ or something like ‘A/V’. They’re just convenient labels – they all take the same line-level audio signal."

http://www.alphr.com/blogs/2009/03/25/how-to-connect-your-pc-to-your-hi-fi

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

Green is correct outlet.

Yes it should work on all 3. Your PC is NOT a tuner. They are all the same level for analogue input.

Here this is from guide "You can put your PC's audio output into almost any analogue input of a hi-fi amplifier. It doesn’t matter if it’s labelled ‘CD’, ‘tape in’, ‘aux’ or something like ‘A/V’. They’re just convenient labels – they all take the same line-level audio signal."

But does that really matter? Do you know any other solutions, other than returning my amplifier? I'd rather not have to use my old PC speakers during the days I will have to wait until I get the new amp. Maybe my amplifier isn't the problem.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

Green is correct outlet.

But does that really matter? Do you know any other solutions, other than returning my amplifier? I'd rather not have to use my old PC speakers during the days I will have to wait until I get the new amp. Maybe my amplifier isn't the problem.

Its upto you but if only 1 input worked out of 3 I would return it, try a different one. Better to replace while you can get your money back.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

they are just inputs just because it says cd or tape that doesn't mean anything my thinking is it's an issue with the amp or interference between the amp and PC somewhere . Have you got a CD player to try on this amp or borrow one before taking the amp back so you can rule out if there is an issue with the amp

I thought CD inputs have a different sensitivity to tuner and tape inputs .?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
the red lead on your phono lead is positive and white is negative

No it's not!! The white RCA is left signal + ground and the red RCA is right signal+ground. Christ sake don't confuse him further.

gasolin

radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

Cd players have a much higher output level then lets say a turntable, so if you playing loud with a turntable you must remeber to turn down the volume and don't just go directly to the cdplayer or else the sound would be very loud and with lots of distortion

Have you tried a different amp to hear if you can hear a difference in sound quality?

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

Green is correct outlet.

Its upto you but if only 1 input worked out of 3 I would return it, try a different one. Better to replace while you can get your money back.

What amp should I get after I return this one?

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
BigH said:
Dragonsword said:
shadders said:
Dragonsword said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tuner is a radio.

Cd players have a much higher output level then lets say a turntable, so if you playing loud with a turntable you must remeber to turn down the volume and don't just go directly to the cdplayer or else the sound would be very loud and with lots of distortion

Have you tried a different amp to hear if you can hear a difference in sound quality?

Can I connect a receiver from a stereo to my speakers?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Dragonsword said:

Historically a receiver was an AM/FM tuner plus an amplifier, all in the one box, and had the benefit of reducing the number of hifi boxes you needed from two down to one.

In more recent times (say the last decade) the term receiver has divided into two related, but distinct pieces of kit:

1 - a tuner with FM + DAB/DAB+ and maybe internet radio, plus an amplifier all in the one box

2 - the full AV receiver, which has everything in 1, plus all the functionality to accept inputs (usually HDMI, coaxial or optical) from TVs, bluray players, games consoles, phones, tablets etc, decode the music signals, and then drive many speakers (eg stereo, 5.1, 7.1, etc).

All of these three types of receiver will have outputs to feed speakers, so you should be ok.

What type of receiver are you contemplating?

Dragonsword

May 23, 2016
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Dragonsword said:

Historically a receiver was an AM/FM tuner plus an amplifier, all in the one box, and had the benefit of reducing the number of hifi boxes you needed from two down to one.

In more recent times (say the last decade) the term receiver has divided into two related, but distinct pieces of kit:

1 - a tuner with FM + DAB/DAB+ and maybe internet radio, plus an amplifier all in the one box

2 - the full AV receiver, which has everything in 1, plus all the functionality to accept inputs (usually HDMI, coaxial or optical) from TVs, bluray players, games consoles, phones, tablets etc, decode the music signals, and then drive many speakers (eg stereo, 5.1, 7.1, etc).

All of these three types of receiver will have outputs to feed speakers, so you should be ok.

What type of receiver are you contemplating?

I don't know. But it's a receiver from my mom's stereo set, maybe I can borrow it to check if it doesn't buzz if I connect my speakers to it, but it's more than just a receiver, it also has a CD player and stuff like that, I don't know if I can seperate the receiver from the CD player and other things.

shadders

Hi,

To keep it simple, do the following.

Take out all input cables to the amplifier.

Plug in the suspected cable - seems to be the red cable of the stereo cable pair. Does it buzz

Take this cable out of that input, both wires (red and white), and plug into another input. Does it buzz?

If it buzzes on one and not the other, it is the input, and the amplifier is at fault.

If it buzzes on all inputs, try a different cable.

If the different cable buzzes, try another source - you seem to have a cd player so this would be the best one to use, not the PC.

If a different cable buzzes and a different source buzzes, it seems to confirm that it is the amp.

If you need to keep costs down, then for the same price a second hand amplifier is a good option. Try and get a well known make such as Denon, or Marantz - I state these brands as I checked a second hand Web site in the UK, and this seemed to be in your price range.

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS