Buying the right phono amp - benefits over budget units with my system?

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am almost set to purchase my first turntable. I will be buying a rega p3 off ebay which comes with elys 2 cartridge. I have about 100 records to spin on it straight-away thanks to my dads now redundant record collection. :) Good thing is I will listen to probably 3/4 of them through choice.

Anyway, my amp doesn't have a phono stage so I have also been looking at budget phono amps to get me up and running. The likes of NAD PP3 I found appealing due to its digital transfer capabilities but I know there are plenty more besides. The fact that the nad is considered a budget unit I was wandering if there would be an alternative perhaps with the same features that would maximise the regas full potential?

I would double the budget over the NAD pp3 if people advised it as a worthy option, so say £200-250. My system would be rega p3/elys 2 - NAD c370 - MA silver S8.

thanks

David

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm still waiting for my Leema Elements Phono (a few quids more). If one reads reviews of different phono amps, then often it is the price span from £500 which receives the really rave reviews. £100-£500 seems generate more diverse reviews.

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks NHL. I will probably go for the NAD in that case as I dont really feel I want to jump straight in at the deep end with something like a £500 phono amp! Maybe in time if circumstances change I might make a bigger leap into hifi.. If a price hike of £100 over a nad pp3 saw a fair leap in performance I may have been tempted.

I would be interested to hear others opinions on this too though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts