Budget speakers for low power valve amp - do they exist?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to audition some speakers to go with my home made SET valve amp. Trawling the internet for recommendations, I can only find speakers that are expensive and large which is bad news for me because I'm looking for small and cheap!

I live in a small terraced house at the moment so I don't need a great deal of volume, but from what I read It seems that to get the best from my amp I should be looking for speakers with a flat impedance curve and not too much crossover circuitry. Can't find much info about combining valve amps with budget speakers and I wondered if anyone had any pointers on what I should be looking for? E.g. should I look at speakers without bass ports? Would studio monitors be suitable? Ideally my budget would be £200 but I can stretch a bit further if need be. The idea is to get some smallish bookshelves for now and then get some larger speakers one day when I've got a bigger pad. Sensitive speakers would be preferable but the main thing is that they sound good rather than go loud.

Power is about 6.5W per channel in SET mode but can switch to Ultralinear mode for more (about double). The amp is a Tubelab SimpleSE with EL34 valves and Edcor o/p transformers. Cathode feedback can be switched on/off if that makes any difference.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi LP, as I am looking at moving into valves I stumbled across http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/forum/index.php
These folk all use valves and are very helpful, try searching for posts by "andy!" (me) as I asked similar questions.
Although much enlightened I do`nt feel I can relate that knowledge I have gained successfully.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
One thing I can say is that you may be surprised what a "low" power valve amp is capable of. I had an 8 watt a channel one here this morning for a couple of hours and it killed my baby Cyrus dead!

A

Anonymous

Thanks taxiboy. Looks like there is some useful info over there.

TRENDING THREADS