BT Infinity Router advice needed (need more speed!!)

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had Infinity since March '11 running on a BT Home Hub 2 wireless connection and up until recently it's been running at a fairly decent 20mbps.

This week I have taken advantage of the free speed boost and though I can now get over 70mbps via a wired connection the wireless has not improved at all.

I know its a cheap solution but the last thing I want to do is start tearing up the carpet to lay down some Cat 5 cable so what I'm trying to find out is what are the best options for me to take advantage of the speed boost?

I've been looking at changing the router or possibly installing a powerline network but I don't know what will give me the biggest bang for the least amount of bucks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated 8)

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
just had a look and there is a £130 call out charge for that kind of work and I was hoping to keep the cost as low and un-intrusive as possible.

Good idea though, but not practical for my situation 8)

michael hoy

drichardb said:
This week I have taken advantage of the free speed boost and though I can now get over 70mbps via a wired connection the wireless has not improved at all.

Is this a BT change, I am on Infinity and receive 37 Mb download a big jump from the 2.5 MB I used to get.

I also noticed you are using a Hub 2, I was supplied with a Hub 3 and this seems to work very well in my house.

Obviously hard wiring would be a better solution, my Infinity is installed in my loft, BT engineer install a new master socket as part of the original install.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
drichardb said:
just had a look and there is a £130 call out charge for that kind of work and I was hoping to keep the cost as low and un-intrusive as possible.

Good idea though, but not practical for my situation 8)

If only you knew a friendly Openreach engineer, who perhaps frequented this forum, perhaps called Chris, who could do it for you.:)

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Is this a BT change, I am on Infinity and receive 37 Mb download a big jump from the 2.5 MB I used to get.

I also noticed you are using a Hub 2, I was supplied with a Hub 3 and this seems to work very well in my house.

BT have upped the maximum speed on Infinity to 76Mbps, I am on Option 2 (Unlimited) so qualified for a no charge boost. The only negative is you have to re-commit for 12 or 18months (18 in my case) but seeing as there is nothing to compete with it round here it was a no brainer.

As I understand it (correct me if i'm wrong Big Chris 8) ) they made a few improvements to the HH3 to improve its range and speed. I've been trying to find out if it supports 300Mbps wireless-n but I've not been able to confirm it....

Chris - I dont suppose you cover the South Wales area by any chance :pray:

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
BOOOOO ;)

Last night I was trying to get Netflix working on my PS3 and ended up having to reset it to default (amongst other things) to pick up the app. When it asked me to select a wireless network what do I find? 2 neighbouring wireless networks! Why my two PC's hadnt picked this up i'll never know.

To cut a long story short I jumped into the HH2 settings, fixed the channel to number 1 and lo and behold my pc has jumped to almost 40Mbps, now THATS more like it.

I still want more though :doh:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts