Bristol Sound and Vision Show

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I have to add that the Neat Iota Alphas were very good indeed. The second time I went in the room I wasn't sure whether they were playing or the larger floorstanders next to them, which says a lot about them. Decently big soundstage for such a small speaker.

Quite impressed by the new Spendor models too, although not so much the D9, but then, it was on the end of some Devialet, which I'm not convinced is a great match, not for me anyway. The D7s sounded great on the Auralic though, as did the smaller models on the Rega Brio-R. I was extremely impressed with the little A2 floorstanders!

Both rooms using Amphion speakers sounded great (Auden and Hegel), but after playing with them here, I sort of expected that!

KEF's LS50W wireless speakers sounded fantastic, filling the usual KEF room with ease.

The Nordost room sounded great too, using Moon electronics and ProAc D20R speakers.

The AVM products were sounding suitably high end in the PMC room, even with a pair of Twenty5.22s. Awesome build quality and useful options.

Extremely impressed with the TAD room for a second year running, this time with their "baby" ME1 speakers. Piano on these was brilliant, particularly the more impactful sections of the piece being played. Off axis was excellent too. Tight, fast, dynamic.

The Sound Fowndations room with the GamuT integrated amp, speakers, and Clearaudio TT was amazingly detailed, and not your typical "warm" vinyl sound.

The SVS SB16 Ultra was just crazy. With what it was chucking out, I expected it to bottom out numerous times during Super 8, but it took everything in its stride. I'm surprised the Marriott Hotel didn't get complaints from Temple Meads train station...

The Kudos Titan 707s didn't overly impress me on first visit, but then, it wasn't my type of music. A second visit corrected that :)

The Little Kudos speakers in the AudioQuest room were also doing a fine job, despite a very simple Rega system fed by a DragonFly from a laptop.

Anyone with a carbon fibre fetish will love the new Elipson turntable, with its carbon fibre base and tonearm. A good option for those who also want a high quality Bluetooth turntable for Sonos/Bluesound/multi-room systems.

I think Leema were cheating a bit with some hunking great ATCs, but it was the best sounding Leema room I've heard so far.

Tried out a few Audeze headphones too, which sounded just as I like my music - tight, fast, dynamic. Suitably well built and weighty too.

The Cyrus room sounded good, with the Cyrus One being used with a number of speakers, and a couple of models there from the PMC Twenty5 range.

Ophidian sounded great, of course, and were playing some better music choices than most (Kruder & Dorfmeister). The Little Exposure XM5 amp was doing a really good job with them.

Innuos were showing their new Roon interface - looked georgeous! Tempting...

The B&W room were using the 800 speakers, driven very well by some chunky Rotel amplification, which were out to prove the 800s weren't out of their league.

The baby Kronos turntable was looking just as desirable as its bigger brother...

Last but not least. The Arcam AV room was excellent last year, but was even better this year! The larger Reference centre was being used, plus some custom subs, giving extra authority, presence, and naturalness to the whole soundfield. Well done again Andy, worthy of the award win!

There were far more rooms than that, but not all are springing to mind right now!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
I can't really say as they were heard in different rooms with dfferent material, but if I had to state a choice based on what I heard, the KEFs sounded better. I don't know the full extent of the system in the AE room, but they were well into the room, and I think the music was via a Bluesound Node (not sure if it was online streaming or from a NAS somewhere), whereas the LS50s were streaming from an Innuos ZENith, in a larger room up against the wall.

I do like the simple look of the AEs, so it'd be nice to hear them in familiar surroundings, and I have always liked the classic AE1. One thing I did find out thought was that whilst the bass amplifier for the LS50s is Class D, the HF amp is Class A/B, which KEF did to retain some sweetness. I guess that is the reason for the slightly large heat sinks on the back (whihc look quite cool actually).

Hi David, we were indeed using a Bluesound Node II and I think the source at the time was direct from a USB stick in the back. I didn't get the chance to have a chat with you in the room but would be happy to bring a set round for you to try ouy once we've built the next batch! We had an odd selection of tracks provided by our PR guy, not really my taste...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
AEJim said:
Hi David, we were indeed using a Bluesound Node II and I think the source at the time was direct from a USB stick in the back. I didn't get the chance to have a chat with you in the room but would be happy to bring a set round for you to try ouy once we've built the next batch! We had an odd selection of tracks provided by our PR guy, not really my taste...
I wasn't sure how I'd be received based on the goings on over on another forum a few years ago, so didn't push anything... :)

What was good though, was I was about to up and leave when Riders On The Storm came on, a track that has become a bit of a demo track for me over the last few years, and one I have used to compare MQA and hi-res files.

It would be interesting to try them in a more familiar environment - no rush though, as my ears seem to have gone "out of phase" overnight! I have always like the original AE1 since the early 90s (shame they've gone) and more recently and for different reasons, the Reference 1.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
I wasn't sure how I'd be received based on the goings on over on another forum a few years ago, so didn't push anything... :)

What was good though, was I was about to up and leave when Riders On The Storm came on, a track that has become a bit of a demo track for me over the last few years, and one I have used to compare MQA and hi-res files.

It would be interesting to try them in a more familiar environment - no rush though, as my ears seem to have gone "out of phase" overnight! I have always like the original AE1 since the early 90s (shame they've gone) and more recently and for different reasons, the Reference 1.

Yeah, I think Riders on the Storm was the only track I'd consider "normal" music on the list! There were a few nice classical pieces too though, in amongst the usual "plinky plonky" stuff. I actually think they sounded at their best when someone who wanted some "old school rock guitar" meant I ended up digging out Money for Nothing (MP3) over Bluetooth from my phone - I wasn't expecting much but actually ended up turning it up to full volume and I don't think I've ever heard that track sound louder or better, even if Dire Straits are a bit of a Hi-Fi cliché! (I still like them ;))

The AE1 Classics had to be retired sadly as the SEAS tweeter recently went out of production (we could make or source another but then it wouldn't be the classic AE1!), we'd had the Active concept in one form or another for nearly 5 years and this was an excuse to use it, I've wanted to ever since we made the first prototypes but market acceptance wasn't really there at the time, in the home audio market at least. Full acceptance has still got a way to go but active speakers do so many things so well it would be a shame if we didn't at least offer the option. The Reference 1 is a very different beast to the AE1 as you say, very refined and civilised, grown up - I'd say the Active AE1 character sits midway between the two older models.

I think we all have our moments on the forums, we all have our (sometimes strong) opinions so it can certainly get heated - it's a small industry though so probably better for everyone if we can all just get along :D

It'll be 4 or 5 weeks before the next batch of Actives are finished but I'll give you a bell at your new place for a demo when they are, I'd be interested to hear your views on them.

Apologies for hijacking the show thread a bit there!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
drummerman said:
Great impressions David.

It's also refreshing that a retailer can give a broad & balanced view without mindlessly only mentioning the products they sell. *smile*
I can go back and change it if you like :)

There were other rooms I could've commented on. I've forgotten about a few, and have remembered some since. There were a few rooms it'd be best for me not to comment on, like a certain speaker manufacturer, which would heat things up a little round here! I just found them a bit boxy sounding and not enjoyable, but then, I didn't hear any music I liked on them. Others seem to like the room.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Riders on the Storm! haven't heard it for years, stuck it on after reading it gets used for dems... wow, such a great track to show off the hifi... Now wondering what I could do to make it sound even better!!!

Cheers (and apologies for the off-topic post).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
Riders on the Storm! haven't heard it for years, stuck it on after reading it gets used for dems... wow, such a great track to show off the hifi... Now wondering what I could do to make it sound even better!!!

Cheers (and apologies for the off-topic post).
I like the production, as it sounds like a "one take" performance rather than an overdubbed studio album.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
OK, if that results in sets of active AE1s and the LS50s being compared using "Riders on the Storm". I'm in. I've been looking for an excuse to visit Davids new place and that could be it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately I couldn't go again this year.

Just watched a Youtube video of the Wilson Benesch Room ... . Apart from the usual 'plinky plonky' stuff (and I am a Jazz fan, just not that kind of jazz) they chose Chris Rea.

Now I can honestly say I have never heard a well recorded Chris Rea record ... . Perhaps someone can correct me.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jmjones said:
OK, if that results in sets of active AE1s and the LS50s being compared using "Riders on the Storm". I'm in. I've been looking for an excuse to visit Davids new place and that could be it.
I have been trying to think of a few themes for throwing the doors open to all. It's either something like this or an MQA based theme...

jjbomber

davidf said:
I have been trying to think of a few themes for throwing the doors open to all. It's either something like this or an MQA based theme...

Why not hire a recording artist, Dan Patlansky, to show off your hi-fi equipment by using his own albums and CDs? He's over from South Africa for the Easter weekend. He could point out things done in the studio to overdub an album that can't be heard on cheap systems but are revealed on real hi-fis. More importantly, he will bring in his own fans (new customers) rather than the existing client list (old customers).

IntroVertigo has just been voted Album Of The Year by Blues Rock Review in America. This follows on from winning it with his previous album, Dear Silence Thieves. He is the only artist to win it twice.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jmjones said:
Hi David,

How do you think the AE1 and LS50 active versions compare to each other? Worth the premium?
I can't really say as they were heard in different rooms with dfferent material, but if I had to state a choice based on what I heard, the KEFs sounded better. I don't know the full extent of the system in the AE room, but they were well into the room, and I think the music was via a Bluesound Node (not sure if it was online streaming or from a NAS somewhere), whereas the LS50s were streaming from an Innuos ZENith, in a larger room up against the wall.

I do like the simple look of the AEs, so it'd be nice to hear them in familiar surroundings, and I have always liked the classic AE1. One thing I did find out thought was that whilst the bass amplifier for the LS50s is Class D, the HF amp is Class A/B, which KEF did to retain some sweetness. I guess that is the reason for the slightly large heat sinks on the back (which look quite cool actually).

drummerman said:
Unfortunately I couldn't go again this year.

Just watched a Youtube video of the Wilson Benesch Room ... . Apart from the usual 'plinky plonky' stuff (and I am a Jazz fan, just not that kind of jazz) they chose Chris Rea.

Now I can honestly say I have never heard a well recorded Chris Rea record ... . Perhaps someone can correct me.
Funny you should mention that, as WB got my booby prize for the worst stereo imaging, and possibly the most disappointing sound anywhere. Some plinky stuff was all over the place, and a Bach solo cello (from the suites) sounded about thirty feet across - ridiculous. I wondered if the main speakers were out of phase with the bass being propped up by the ghastly puck-like device in the floor.

You didn't miss anything in that room, I'm sorry to say.

jonathanRD said:
Did you resolve the usb connection issue with the 360? as when I was there on Friday the demo was stopped as the signal kept dropping out due to a suspected damaged usb connection. That was a shame as it did sound very good despite the dropouts.

Hi jonathanRD

The issue was tracked down to the USB cable.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
David you should try playing Dark Black by Kristina Train on you HiFi. The recording is absolutely brilliant and her voice is simply fantastic. The whole album is great but Dark Black really shows HiFi off to its best.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
AntAxon said:
David you should try playing Dark Black by Kristina Train on you HiFi. The recording is absolutely brilliant and her voice is simply fantastic. The whole album is great but Dark Black really shows HiFi off to its best.
I will give it a try - is it on any streaming services? As mentioned elsewhere, my hearing isn't 100% at the moment anyway, but once it's back to normal I'll definitely give it a try.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
davidf said:
AntAxon said:
I will give it a try - is it on any streaming services? As mentioned elsewhere, my hearing isn't 100% at the moment anyway, but once it's back to normal I'll definitely give it a try.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5jStu1szjOXfzFcGLI9vtF

*yes3*

TRENDING THREADS