Bristol Sound and Vision Show

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Romulus said:
I have just come back from Friday show. Very interesting but the speaker which made an impression on me was the Scansonic M-6 (from Decent Audio rm 318 3rd Floor). Its a Compact 2.5 slim floorstander made by people who also produce Raidho speakers. At the time I was there the music was full blown blues. What I immediately noticed was the deep down pricise yet full bass to gether with lovely treble (1+ for the tweeter) and to my astonishment the price of the speaker was shy of £1200..! With that particular music the slim speakers certainly did not require a subwoofer and it certainly embraced the verve of the music. Unfortunately the person demonstrating only had band orientated music so I could not hear other sonic aspects (eg Orchestra, dynamics, various midranges, etc). But I feel excited just thinking about the speaker which must be a good thing!

Warning any one going to the show by car for Sat & Sunday avoid the M32 going into Bristol ( It will try your patience)

I too was impressed by this speaker, the next model in the 'M' series is the larger M9 at £1599 - a 3 way floorstander with a side-firing bass speaker. I asked about demoing them and they gave me the name of someone who will bring them to me for home demo.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
As per the previous posts, I was especially impressed with the Scansonic M6 speakers. Others I liked were the Ophidian Prophet P2 with Exposure 3010S2D amplification and digital sources, and the Mission LX-2's at £160 which IMO are ridiculously good value for money.

Check out the Astin Trew AT2 range including the AT-2100 integrated amplifier - some unusual styling which I liked.

The PMC twenty 5.23 sounded very nice albiet driven by AVM elctronics including a £11995 amplifier.

I enjoyed the Roksan room demoing the K3 series along with their TR-5 S2 bookshelf speakers. Lots of other products on show under the Henley Audio banner including some of the Unico range.

The TAD Micro Evolution One's sounded good but there is nothing 'micro' about them, they are very heavy duty/industrial looking.

Hegel were demonstrating the new Rost with Amphion speakers ( I think the Argon 7L) - the speakers were very impressive. Whilst I was there they swapped over to the Hegel 360 but the usb connection was damaged so they had to stop the demo. I think Harbeth were using the 360 to drive the Super HL5's which my colleagues (all vinyl lovers) were very impressed with.

Exposure were demonstrating their new XM3 Phono Amplifier and XM5 Integrated Amplifier units which looked very neat.

Leema after a very long delay, were demoing their Quasar integrated amplifier which sounded very good.

Finally, for me the star of the show were the Spendor D7's - they were fabulous, I am officially starting to save up for them. It might take a year or two but I was so smitten I went back 3 times for another listen.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
As per the previous posts, I was especially impressed with the Scansonic M6 speakers. Others I liked were the Ophidian Prophet P2 with Exposure 3010S2D amplification and digital sources, and the Mission LX-2's at £160 which IMO are ridiculously good value for money.

Check out the Astin Trew AT2 range including the AT-2100 integrated amplifier - some unusual styling which I liked.

The PMC twenty 5.23 sounded very nice albiet driven by AVM elctronics including a £11995 amplifier. 

I enjoyed the Roksan room demoing the K3 series along with their TR-5 S2 bookshelf speakers. Lots of other products on show under the Henley Audio banner including some of the Unico range.

The TAD Micro Evolution One's sounded good but there is nothing 'micro' about them, they are very heavy duty/industrial looking.

Hegel were demonstrating the new Rost with Amphion speakers ( I think the Argon 7L) - the speakers were very impressive. Whilst I was there they swapped over to the Hegel 360 but the usb connection was damaged so they had to stop the demo. I think Harbeth were using the 360 to drive the Super HL5's which my colleagues (all vinyl lovers) were very impressed with.

Exposure were demonstrating their new XM3 Phono Amplifier and XM5 Integrated Amplifier units which looked very neat.

Leema after a very long delay, were demoing their Quasar integrated amplifier which sounded very good.

Finally, for me the star of the show were the Spendor D7's - they were fabulous, I am officially starting to save up for them. It might take a year or two but I was so smitten I went back 3 times for another listen. 

Hi

What was it that set them apart for you?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
jonathanRD said:

Hi

What immediately struck me about the sound was both the clarity and the power of the bass being generated - at first I thought there were monster power amplifiers hidden behind the screen. So I asked and was told that it was only the single Auralic amplifier (I think the Auralic Polaris Wireless Streaming Amplifier @ 120w into 8ohms). They just seemed effortlessly powerful and clear. I did not get the same feeling from the Spendor D9's playing in the next room, or the £8000 Dali Epcion 6's that were very smooth but a bit polite.

That's about as much as I can say really, just my immediate reaction to only a brief listen. The surroundings are not condusive to a proper listen, so it's what stood out to me from the crowd. It was a window shopping trip for me, giving me an idea of what £1500 + speakers sound like on the end of decent amplification.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
If you were impressed with the Scansonic M6, then you really need to take a step up to their MB range above.

These are quite amazing speakers. The MB2.5 is very affordable and performs to a level well above its price range. It happens to look gorgeous too, but that's a matter of personal taste.

z

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Andrewjvt said:
jonathanRD said:

Hi

What immediately struck me about the sound was both the clarity and the power of the bass being generated - at first I thought there were monster power amplifiers hidden behind the screen. So I asked and was told that it was only the single Auralic amplifier (I think the Auralic Polaris Wireless Streaming Amplifier @ 120w into 8ohms). They just seemed effortlessly powerful and clear. I did not get the same feeling from the Spendor D9's playing in the next room, or the £8000 Dali Epcion 6's that were very smooth but a bit polite.

That's about as much as I can say really, just my immediate reaction to only a brief listen. The surroundings are not condusive to a proper listen, so it's what stood out to me from the crowd. It was a window shopping trip for me, giving me an idea of what £1500 + speakers sound like on the end of decent amplification.     

Once you have saved up. Try them in your space to make sure they work at yours.
Good write up

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I popped along today, I think I was most impressed by the Hegel Rost/Amphion pairing - and sorry Drummerman but I think the Rost looks great - thanks to Anders for the demo. Audio Note was an unexpected revelation for me (I'm sure everyone else knows how good they are!) I think I've been guilty of judging them by their looks - shame on me - they were playing something classical when I went in, at that point the sound didn't float my boat at all, fortunately they played something a little more modern next and WOW, absolutely superb.

As mentioned above, the Spendor D7 /Auralic pairing sounded pretty great. The Devialet Phantom Golds are just insanely good, look a bit weird but when you sound that good who cares?! Thanks to one of their guys I now know how to pronounce Devialet correctly, I was nearly there, just a small change needed.

Just before I left I managed to hear the Kudos Titan 707s, completely out of my price range, they're a bit like their bigger brothers, totally awesome.

I also heard some fabulous headphones from Sony, Pioneer, Fostex and Audeze (sorry I don't know any of the model numbers, but they were all very expensive)

A final mention to the Neat Ioat Alphas, how they produced that much bass from teeny weeny speakers is beyond me, amazing.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
If you were impressed with the Scansonic M6, then you really need to take a step up to their MB range above.

These are quite amazing speakers. The MB2.5 is very affordable and performs to a level well above its price range. It happens to look gorgeous too, but that's a matter of personal taste.

z

Thanks for the tip, although I won't be demoing anytime soon. If the contact I was given has a pair to bring to my house than I'll certainly give them a try when I am ready. And as Andrewjvt suggested, I wouldn't buy anything without a home demo first.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The Iota Alphas were very good, I also liked the Q Acoustic Concept 500. The new 800 range from B&W was pretty darn good too.

Diamond Joe said:
I popped along today, I think I was most impressed by the Hegel Rost/Amphion pairing - and sorry Drummerman but I think the Rost looks great - thanks to Anders for the demo.

Hi Diamond Joe

Glad the Rost/Amphion impressed you. Rost has soul
regular_smile.gif

Out of interest all the Hegel show items (Rost, H360 and HD30) is ours as unfortunately their stock got caught in customs. After getting a call from Hegel at 3pm on Thursday it was all hands on deck to get the stock out to Hegel at the hotel by Friday 9am. Fortunately it worked out with a few moment to spare.

Btw, yesterday afternoon for the second year we received Hegel Music Systems UK Dealer of the Year Award 2016.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Diamond Joe said:
I popped along today, I think I was most impressed by the Hegel Rost/Amphion pairing - and sorry Drummerman but I think the Rost looks great - thanks to Anders for the demo.

Hi Diamond Joe

Out of interest all the Hegel show items (Rost, H360 and HD30) is ours as unfortunately their stock got caught in customs. After getting a call from Hegel at 3pm on Thursday it was all hands on deck to get the stock out to Hegel at the hotel by Friday 9am. Fortunately it worked out with a few moment to spare.

Btw, yesterday afternoon for the second year we received Hegel Music Systems UK Dealer of the Year Award 2016.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Did you resolve the usb connection issue with the 360? as when I was there on Friday the demo was stopped as the signal kept dropping out due to a suspected damaged usb connection. That was a shame as it did sound very good despite the dropouts.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Diamond Joe said:

Hi Diamond Joe

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shameless.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Diamond Joe said:

Hi Diamond Joe

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shameless.

I assume you meant that jokingly :)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Gazzip said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Diamond Joe said:

Hi Diamond Joe

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shameless.

Of course! They should be proud of an award!

Gazzip said:
drummerman said:
Gazzip said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Diamond Joe said:

Hi Diamond Joe

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shameless.

Of course! They should be proud of an award!

So they should but blatant free advertising?????... ;-)

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Romulus said:
I have just come back from Friday show. Very interesting but the speaker which made an impression on me was the Scansonic M-6 (from Decent Audio rm 318 3rd Floor). Its a Compact 2.5 slim floorstander made by people who also produce Raidho speakers. At the time I was there the music was full blown blues. What I immediately noticed was the deep down pricise yet full bass to gether with lovely treble (1+ for the tweeter) and to my astonishment the price of the speaker was shy of £1200..! With that particular music the slim speakers certainly did not require a subwoofer and it certainly embraced the verve of the music. Unfortunately the person demonstrating only had band orientated music so I could not hear other sonic aspects (eg Orchestra, dynamics, various midranges, etc). But I feel excited just thinking about the speaker which must be a good thing!

Warning any one going to the show by car for Sat & Sunday avoid the M32 going into Bristol ( It will try your patience)

I too was impressed by this speaker, the next model in the 'M' series is the larger M9 at £1599 - a 3 way floorstander with a side-firing bass speaker. I asked about demoing them and they gave me the name of someone who will bring them to me for home demo.

Once you have a chance to get to know the speaker ways I would be very interested in your impressions of them and the confirmation rest of your equipment used in your system.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Agree that the Neat Iota alpha speakers sounded good, especially for the relatively low price, I always enjoy the Audio Note room, maybe as I am a previous owner of their speakers... but the one that really blew me away was the Devialet Phantom Gold active speakers, amazingly clear and detailed sound, quite wacky to look at too. My partner who had never been to a show before (or ever really been in to hifi) said it sounded like the band were playing in the room, surely an accolade that any manufacturers would want to hear. Also enjoyed the room with the Nagra reel to reel, fun to watch and sounded good :). Also thought the Canton room was producing some nice sounds when I was in there.

A very enjoyable show this year :)

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi guys

Applogies as the excitement got the better of me *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Rick, in the demo I attended on .Friday they mentioned the customs issue. I thought then that you might have been the place that bailed them out! Not surprised you won the award!

The shock for me wasn't the very good sound - as I'd been earlier to hear the 360 with the Harbeth anniversary SL5s - but that the £4000 Hegel DAC was noticeably superior to the one in the Rost, while played through the Rost itself!

alchemist 1 said:
Has anyone sampled the 1200G, 1210GR Turntables at the show ?
I heard and saw the cheaper regular model, £1299 plus cartridge. Seemed a lot when first announced but there aren't too many decks I'd choose in preference if that were my budget.

Would be great for testing cartridges out. Looked as cool as it always did, and they were using an interesting all-in-one headshell cartridge, which I should've asked about. There is a video of it on the WHF site.

However, through unknown but stylish Technics amp and speakers I cannot really vouch for the sound, other than it was quite mellow on some jazz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts