Bristol Hifi Show 24th - 26th Feb 2023

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
To be fair I think the maximum price for one day was under £15, and mine was a £ or two less as I’m of a certain age!

In the event I never arrived as I tripped on an uneven paving slab outside the Castlemead office block (just the other side of the NCP car park from the hotel). Spent all Friday in A&E and have two eye socket fractures and a smashed sinus. Not to mention a massive black eye and bruised face and jaw. Seeing the Maxillofacial registrar as outpatient tomorrow. Hoping I can avoid an op.

Disappointed to miss the show, after such a wait due to Covid.
Sorry to hear this. Any plans to sue the council? They need to be aware of the dangerous trip hazard. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

Gray

To be fair I think the maximum price for one day was under £15, and mine was a £ or two less as I’m of a certain age!

In the event I never arrived as I tripped on an uneven paving slab outside the Castlemead office block (just the other side of the NCP car park from the hotel). Spent all Friday in A&E and have two eye socket fractures and a smashed sinus. Not to mention a massive black eye and bruised face and jaw. Seeing the Maxillofacial registrar as outpatient tomorrow. Hoping I can avoid an op.

That's horrible news - and missing the show rubbed salt in the wound.

Really feel for you, hit concrete path directly with my face a few years back (my fault).
Such a shock, still got smashed off front teeth crowns to remind me when I look in the mirror.

How we wish we could turn back the clock and avoid the smash!

Best wishes. Hope all of your damage clears as soon as possible.

Reactions: nopiano

jjbomber

I've never understood why people would pay £15 just to fall over outside a shop!

Being serious for once, sounds painful and get well soon.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site

Ouch!!! Double Ouch!!! So sorry to hear that. Sounds very painful. Wishing you speedy recovery.

I had no idea this had happened to you yet you took time to reply to my queries about my floorstander conumdrums. You are a true gent. I'm getting the Dali Oberon 5's to try this weekend and will report back.

Hope your exhibit went well.
Very well. The room was rammed on Friday and Saturday, the latter being the busiest day I’ve ever seen at the show. And the usual affordable/sensible system sounded amazing - B52s’ Rock Lobster was stunning! Thankfully, we had a second room next door where people could look at the ranges, and ask questions without having to shout and disrupt those listening.

Sorry to hear this. Any plans to sue the council? They need to be aware of the dangerous trip hazard. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Am going to ask a lawyer. I know a good firm from my work days.

The paving was sticking up a fair bit, and several slabs awry. Of course I’ve no idea why I didn’t notice. Need to establish if it’s Council pavement or office forecourt, as it’s not obvious at the moment.

Reactions: Al ears
Very well. The room was rammed on Friday and Saturday, the latter being the busiest day I’ve ever seen at the show. And the usual affordable/sensible system sounded amazing - B52s’ Rock Lobster was stunning! Thankfully, we had a second room next door where people could look at the ranges, and ask questions without having to shout and disrupt those listening.
Good to hear.

Reactions: davidf

So sorry to read that @nopiano that sounds dreadful.

Few years ago Mrs. P fell out of her wheelchair into the middle of our side street. Her front wheels got caught in a sunken drain, which had been neglected by the council. She was rushed to hospital with facial cuts and bruises and a giant haematoma on her shin.

We contacted numerous lawyers and they didn't want to know. Unless they are 80% sure of a firm case, councils are a tough nut to make a legal claim.

Look after yourself and good luck with your lawyer.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano

jjbomber

I saw the photo of the pavement - I think he has.
If someone has previously complained about the pavement, then he has a case as the council know about the problem. Otherwise the council can say they didn't know about it and that now they've been informed, they'll fix it. It is a case of proving negligence rather than proving injury.

Reactions: oldie

matthewpianist

Pleased you enjoyed it. In all fairness to you, what sounds good at a show might not be as impressive in your own room. That's one reason why I don't go to shows such as these, although it's good to see new kit I suppose. The other reason is you always get one room/brand that has the music too loud.

The only hi-fi gig I've attended was in London in circa 2008. Cambridge Audio had theirs so loud you couldn't think hardly, and they attracted the yobs.

One of the nicest things about the show was that most systems were being played at sensible volumes, and were set up carefully. The hotel rooms do also at least offer realistic spaces, though are too small for some of the largest speakers such as the Fyne ones based on vintage designs.

One negative is the relatively narrow range of music being played. I heard classical music in only one room (one of the three Harbeth ones), and I heard hardly any jazz or progressive rock. This was a definite limitation of the day given how wide my tastes are.

Last edited:
If someone has previously complained about the pavement, then he has a case as the council know about the problem. Otherwise the council can say they didn't know about it and that now they've been informed, they'll fix it. It is a case of proving negligence rather than proving injury.
That’s an interesting point. I’m certainly no ambulance chaser and have never sought compensation for anything before. There are some reports nearby, but the physical threshold twixt Council and Landowner isn’t too obvious.

The nearest report was a month earlier and the City Coucil said it wasn’t an adopted part of the highway.

That’s an interesting point. I’m certainly no ambulance chaser and have never sought compensation for anything before. There are some reports nearby, but the physical threshold twixt Council and Landowner isn’t too obvious.

The nearest report was a month earlier and the City Coucil said it wasn’t an adopted part of the highway.
This is what the council said to us -- it's the responsibility of Highway dept, not the council. You contact Highways and they say it's the directorate of the council or housing association. No one will take responsibility

One of the nicest things about the show was that most systems were being played at sensible volumes, and were set up carefully. The hotel rooms do also at least offer realistic spaces, though are too small for some of the largest speakers such as the Fyne ones based on vintage designs.

One negative is the relatively narrow range of music being played. I heard classical music in only one room (one of the three Harbeth ones), and I heard hardly any jazz or progressive rock. This was a definite limitation of the day given how wide my tastes are.
Sounds really good overall.

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
being from bristol i was going to go but not paying that sort of money just to walk around looking at hifi i can go to the local hifi shop and look and listen for free.

Gray

I’m certainly no ambulance chaser and have never sought compensation for anything before.
And of course, you'd prefer not to have even needed to 👍

If you can, listen to Jeremy Vine on R2 between 1.30 - 2 pm today (or later on Sounds)....as the subject will be discussed.

(His last of 4 discussion subjects usually starts around 1.35pm).

EDIT: Wasn't much of a discussion - you wouldn't miss much by not hearing it.

Last edited:
Good luck. Just seen the paving slab pics on FixMyStreet. They are shocking!!! I'm suprised there are not more injuries/falls caused by those. I'd sue for sure.
Thanks. Yes, the paving is awful. We went back to the ‘crime scene’ before my appointment to take pics with a ruler visible.

The good news is that despite the two fractures around the eye socket, and the shattered sinus, it should all heal naturally with just a tiny cheekbone indentation to show for it. No need for an op to correct eye muscles or sinus function - just cosmetic if my face looked wonky. They think it’ll be almost unnoticeable, and I certainly don’t want to go under the knife unless essential. A big relief.

The nerve damage should heal, so the paresthesia I currently have around nose, jaw and teeth - feels rather like when you get an upper jaw anaesthetic at the dentist - should clear up in a few months.

Professor Steven Thomas was my consultant and he was very reassuring. He took me though my CT scan, section by section. Fascinating, if slightly scary!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts