Bristol Hifi Show 24th - 26th Feb 2023

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I will make a weekend of it. - My partner and I are going to Bristol early Friday morning and attend the show during the day. Nice dinner and a Hotel stay. We'll likely pop back to the show on Saturday for a couple of hours and have a good walk around the city afterwards.

The first show for a few years for me and looking forward to it.

I hope some of you go too and have a good time!

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears
I will make a weekend of it. - My partner and I are going to Bristol early Friday morning and attend the show during the day. Nice dinner and a Hotel stay. We'll likely pop back to the show on Saturday for a couple of hours and have a good walk around the city afterwards.

The first show for a few years for me and looking forward to it.

I hope some of you go too and have a good time!
No mate. I'll have to go sooner rather than later, probably next year.

Will be looking for your feedback.

Reactions: RoA

matthewpianist

I'm attending on Saturday and making a full day of it. I've always wanted to go to the Bristol Show, but in the past I've usually been working. Given I'm working Monday to Friday at present, it's the first opportunity I've had. 7:05am train from Derby to Bristol!!

Reactions: nopiano and RoA

matthewpianist

The chance to hear kit better than mine? I'll pass, thank you. The urge to upgrade is dormant at the moment - no sense in waking it...

I'm going on a strictly 'fascination basis'. I don't feel any urge to make changes to my system for now, but I always find it interesting to hear what's out there, and sometimes shows have given me ideas to file away for later.

I first saw and heard the Project The Classic turntable at Whittlebury Hall and wanted one there and then. Funds didn't allow it at the time, but eventually I was able to stretch to one and it's not going anywhere.

matthewpianist

My highlights from the day:

GoldenEar DBX speakers with NAD M33
Martin Logan Motion B10 speakers with AVM electronics
Audiolab 9000 series with Mission 770s
Rogers LS5/9 with their new amp
Marantz PM10 with B&W 705s2 floorstanders
Leema Acoustics system
Cyrus/Spendor
Harbeth P3ESR XD with Hegel
Dynaudio
New Epos (K9?)

Disappointments:

Wilson Benesch
Fyne Audio
New Rotel electronics with B&W 705s2 (yes, the B&Ws sounded far better with Marantz IMO)
Larger Harbeth prototypes (I can't remember the model name)

Everything else was so-so, and there was a lot of interesting kit standing silent. The Arcam/JBL demo was good, but I'm not really interested in home cinema so not all that relevant to me.

Leema Acoustics system
Cyrus/Spendor
Dynaudio
New Epos (K9?)

Disappointments:

Wilson Benesch
Fyne Audio
New Rotel electronics with B&W 705s2 (yes, the B&Ws sounded far better with Marantz IMO)

Everything else was so-so, and there was a lot of interesting kit standing silent. The Arcam/JBL demo was good, but I'm not really interested in home cinema so not all that relevant to me.
What, the Hegel/Amphion room was “so-so”?!

matthewpianist

What, the Hegel/Amphion room was “so-so”?!

It didn't stand out to me like those I've mentioned. Hi-Fi is subjective at the end of the day, and we all have our preferences.

If I had to pick one item that had a huge impact on me it would be the little Martin Logans, to the point where I'm considering a pair when I can afford them.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Leema Acoustics system
Cyrus/Spendor
Dynaudio
New Epos (K9?)

Disappointments:

Wilson Benesch
Fyne Audio

Think Leema have now teamed up with Neat Acoustics.

I demoed Neats with my old pensioner last year. Sounded pretty good to my ears

I completely understand why you love Leema so much PP, the kit they had at the show was very engaging.
Pleased you enjoyed it. In all fairness to you, what sounds good at a show might not be as impressive in your own room. That's one reason why I don't go to shows such as these, although it's good to see new kit I suppose. The other reason is you always get one room/brand that has the music too loud.

The only hi-fi gig I've attended was in London in circa 2008. Cambridge Audio had theirs so loud you couldn't think hardly, and they attracted the yobs.

I've never understood why people would pay £20 to walk around a big shop. Given that it was rammed full, we can safely say that too many people have too much money!
For some it’s a chance to see stuff they wouldn’t otherwise see - at this show, they can see the largest selection of brands at a single show. And of course, there’s a number who go just to get a deal, as it’s a show organised by a retailer.

For some it’s a chance to see stuff they wouldn’t otherwise see - at this show, they can see the largest selection of brands at a single show. And of course, there’s a number who go just to get a deal, as it’s a show organised by a retailer.
Think most people look for a deal of some sort.

When I worked in the lithographic print business, our associate company was Queen Elizabeth Foundation, but my bread and butter was generating litho stuff. But most would just buy a £5 mug with a logo or a tea towel and most you'd never see or hear from them again. Joys of exhibitions.

Think most people look for a deal of some sort.

When I worked in the lithographic print business, our associate company was Queen Elizabeth Foundation, but my bread and butter was generating litho stuff. But most would just buy a £5 mug with a logo or a tea towel and most you'd never see or hear from them again. Joys of exhibitions.
These tend to be real deal hounds.

I've never understood why people would pay £20 to walk around a big shop. Given that it was rammed full, we can safely say that too many people have too much money!
To be fair I think the maximum price for one day was under £15, and mine was a £ or two less as I’m of a certain age!

In the event I never arrived as I tripped on an uneven paving slab outside the Castlemead office block (just the other side of the NCP car park from the hotel). Spent all Friday in A&E and have two eye socket fractures and a smashed sinus. Not to mention a massive black eye and bruised face and jaw. Seeing the Maxillofacial registrar as outpatient tomorrow. Hoping I can avoid an op.

Disappointed to miss the show, after such a wait due to Covid.

Last edited:

WayneKerr

To be fair I think the maximum price for one day was under £15, and mine was a £ or two less as I’m of a certain age!

In the event I never arrived as I tripped on an uneven paving slab outside the Castlemead office block (just the other side of the NCP car park from the hotel). Spent all Friday in A&E and have two eye socket fractures and a smashed sinus. Not to mention a massive black eye and bruised face and jaw. Seeing the Maxillofacial registrar as outpatient tomorrow. Hoping I can avoid an op.

Disappointed to miss the show, after such a wait due to Covid.
Blimey, terrible news,nopiano. Hope you're okay, sir, and on the mend quickly (y)

Reactions: nopiano
Sorry to hear that - I hope it gets sorted as painlessly as possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts