Brilliant test CD for your HiFi

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Borrowed it from a mate to-day, it's Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana".

Yeah, it's classical, and I know zero about it, but if your system can portray the drama and dynamics, then you've got yourself a good system.

Rivetting stuff.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You aren't wrong.

Here are two good versions:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orff-Berlin-State-Boys-Choir/dp/B0006IRMXY/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1319478543&sr=1-4
and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carmina-Burana-Orff/dp/B0007X9TRU/ref=sr_1_73?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1319478446&sr=1-73

Agreed it is an impressive piece with full orchestra and a panoply of voices. It has held a fascination for generations, though it is sometimes looked down on a bit by purists, but is none the worse for that. The words are pretty, er, vulgar too.

It is performed live most seasons, in many major concert halls, and for a real idea of what it should sound like I'd thoroughly recommend trying to attend a live concert. It redefines what dynamic range really is! If it doesn't blow the roof off then someone needed more rehearsal time. :)

altruistic.lemon said:
Borrowed it from a mate to-day, it's Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana".

Yeah, it's classical, and I know zero about it, but if your system can portray the drama and dynamics, then you've got yourself a good system.

Rivetting stuff.

Hi altruistic.lemon

O Fortuna is amongst my favourite tracks. I first heard this piece when it was used in an Old Spice advertisement (an excellent ad btw) :) A system needs to have (amongst other qualities) excellent dynamics to reproduce the force and power of this track :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Or there's the more recent, 2008, Hickox/Chandos Carmina Burana, available as an SACD here or 24/96 + MP3 'bundle' here.

Gramophone review:

"The Chandos engineers have worked wonders with the Barbican’s tricky acoustic, providing vivid sound allowing a wealth of orchestral detail to be heard… the dynamic range is enormous… The soloists make a fine trio… The choral contribution is excellent throughout."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts